Author Topic: Bought the Dengfu M08 complete bike - I was in for a surprise.  (Read 1634 times)

skeptibat

Bought the Dengfu M08 complete bike - I was in for a surprise.
« on: September 12, 2021, 09:26:06 AM »
Rewind to early this year. After being completely fed up with the piece of crap that is my first bike ever - a USD$150 26" Walmart bike, I decided to get something a little bit more pro. I had a mindful budget and headed over to the cycle shop. Well, they politely informed me that there was no chance I was going to get a bike from them until about winter - something about a bike shortage in the US? Hmm, ok... let me find another option.

That's when I was introduced to the world of Chinese carbon frames and bikes. Lots of reading and research led me to believe this was probably my best chance of getting a bike this year. I contemplating assembling my own, but figured that would require tools and skills I don't possess, so I opted for a pre assembled route.

Again, more research and reading led me to the decision to pick up the Dengfu M08 assembled bike (29er "Standard" level), as shown here: https://www.dengfubike.com/collections/carbon-mountain-bikes/products/m08

I direct your attention to the part that reads

The bike is pre-assembled but wheels will be discharged in another carton, totally 2 cartons.

Cool, that's fine. First box arrives, the wheels, exciting. I open the box to ensure there is no damage, looks good. Except, wait... there is no brakes, no cassette installed. The hubs are there, and the tires mounted, and I believe tubes inside even, but that's it.

Arrive the 2nd box. Again, no damage, but...

Well crap. I expected pre-assembled to mean something else. I suppose the frame is pre-assembled, yeah? Having no idea where to go from here, I start watching youtube videos. SRAM has quite the youtube selection, which is good considering most of the equipment here is SRAM stuff. Basically I binged bike assembly videos for the rest of the night.

Confident in my skills, I went about assembling this thing. I got good use out of my torque wrenches and torx and hex sockets. I enjoyed making a tool to press in the SRAM DUB bb, as well as a clever way to press in the tapered headstock. I trimmed my fork with a pipe cutting tool, that worked well. The headstock had a split ring for the tapered fork, and it used an expanding nut for the fork cap instead of a start nut, so no special tools needed for those items.

I only had to make one trip to the bike shop - pick up a SRAM front caliper spacer for 180mm rotors - something Dengfu did not include. I also grabbed a cassette wrench adapter, chain breaker, a bike stand, shock pump, tire pump, grease and carbon gripper, and a SRAM brake bleed kit - something that my research told me I'd need if I was shortening my brake cable. I also picked up a new dropper post lever, the one that came with the Zoom dropper seat was of really poor quality.

A couple of issues I ran into: I needed to break out the Dremel and grind down the screws that held in the internal cable routing guides - they were too long and rubbed against the fork when it was fully installed. Also, I needed to drill out one of the guides to accept the dropper post cable, the hole was a bit too small.

But, never even having worked on a bike before, I managed to fully assemble this selection of parts:

Now, I have to figure out how to tune it, and then see if it falls apart on the first trail I ride.

GilardiRT

Re: Bought the Dengfu M08 complete bike - I was in for a surprise.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 09:52:58 AM »
Nice job, the handlebar is way too high btw.
Can you post another pic of the fork? It looks like it's bleeding

skeptibat

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 09:59:44 AM »
I agree, re: handlebar. Should I angle it down or should I cut the fork more? Also my saddle is at the completely wrong angle.

Ah, that's the grease from packing the bottom bearing in the headtube, I missed cleaning that up before taking a photo/first ride.

GilardiRT

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 11:07:09 AM »
I agree, re: handlebar. Should I angle it down or should I cut the fork more? Also my saddle is at the completely wrong angle.

Ah, that's the grease from packing the bottom bearing in the headtube, I missed cleaning that up before taking a photo/first ride.
Before cutting just lower the stem with spacers, than you can cut it, just find your position before

Shredder

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2021, 02:23:23 PM »
Nice job!

If you used torque wrench and your breaks work I don't think your bike will fall apart haha, you can also make sure that the derailleur shifting limits are set correctly so you wont shift the chain out of the cassette.

The main thing you should worry about is that this is addictive and soon enough you will find yourself building and fixing bikes for all the people you know ;)

btw what is the weight you ended up with?

ASB77

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 08:03:51 AM »
Nice, building bikes is fun.  Yours probably won't fall apart but some things will come loose, almost certainly the headset, retorque after the first ride.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 09:39:41 AM »
Good job, looks great. Well, at least now that you were practically forced into learning some bike mechanic skills you can do your own service and maintenance. I know it's not for everyone, but I personally don't ever want to ride another bike that I don't build myself. I just don't trust other people to not take shortcuts and I like knowing that every bolt is greased properly and torqued to spec. Gives me peace of mind when riding.

jever98

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 05:57:54 AM »
Before cutting just lower the stem with spacers, than you can cut it, just find your position before

Great job on building your bike! +1 to lower the stem before cutting the fork again (just put excess spacers on the top for now). My personal preference is not to exceed 20mm of spacers if possible, so the stem doesn't have a huge lever arm over the frame. If you end up without spacers and it's still too high, flip the stem down.

Enjoy!