Author Topic: Vortex Carbon Spoke Wheels  (Read 779 times)

tcross

Vortex Carbon Spoke Wheels
« on: September 22, 2021, 04:15:14 AM »
Any chance someone here has had a go at the Vortex Wheels?

Trying to toss up between the Vortex N4 and the Winspace 38 right now. Price difference is big and testing of the N4 is fairly lacking except for a few Chinese blogs.

RDY

Re: Vortex Carbon Spoke Wheels
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 05:48:54 AM »
Vortex are better wheels for sure, but what tyres and size are you going for?

If it's old style narrow profile clinchers of 23-25mm they're fine.  But 19/26mm ID/OD is pretty narrow for modern  fatter 25-26mm tyres, especially tubeless, which tend to come up bigger or bulge on smaller ID rims.  By the time you get to 28-30mm you're giving up a pretty significant aero loss, and the profile of the tyre is very much less than ideal.    If you're on 'old' style tyres, go for one of the two, if not, think about going something 21-22/28-30mm ID/OD.

jstrawks

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 07:17:24 AM »
Vortex are better wheels for sure, but what tyres and size are you going for?

If it's old style narrow profile clinchers of 23-25mm they're fine.  But 19/26mm ID/OD is pretty narrow for modern  fatter 25-26mm tyres, especially tubeless, which tend to come up bigger or bulge on smaller ID rims.  By the time you get to 28-30mm you're giving up a pretty significant aero loss, and the profile of the tyre is very much less than ideal.    If you're on 'old' style tyres, go for one of the two, if not, think about going something 21-22/28-30mm ID/OD.

I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but tire manufacturers don't agree with you. Here's Schwalbe's chart, as an example:

https://www.schwalbe.com/files/schwalbe/userupload/Images/FAQ/reifen_felgen_2020/Reifen_Felgenkombinationen_EN.pdf

FHS

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 10:06:15 AM »
I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but tire manufacturers don't agree with you. Here's Schwalbe's chart, as an example:

https://www.schwalbe.com/files/schwalbe/userupload/Images/FAQ/reifen_felgen_2020/Reifen_Felgenkombinationen_EN.pdf

I don't think RDY is talking about what you can safely put on a set of rims. That's a pretty wide range for any given rim width. It looks like he's talking about aero gains and losses. Aerodynamically speaking, you don't want your tire rim profile to look like an ice cream cone.

Here's a good reference.

https://blog.silca.cc/part-5-tire-pressure-and-aerodynamics

RDY

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 01:05:05 PM »

It's always nice when someone says you're wrong and then posts a link which says you're right.  For 25-27mm tyres, schwalbe recommend a minimum internal rim width of 20mm, according to your chart. 

Also this is for safety.  Re: aero and tyre profile you're undoubtedly better going with something 20-21mm ID and ~28mm OD on their Pro Ones for 25-27mm.

Schwalbe and just about every other manufacturer recommends significantly wider than ETRTO both for safety, optimal profile, and aero reasons.  ETRTO is basically an industry legal ass covering as far as tyre / rim widths are concerned.

My first post still applies.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 01:08:02 PM by RDY »

failstone

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 01:24:39 PM »
It's always nice when someone says you're wrong and then posts a link which says you're right.  For 25-27mm tyres, schwalbe recommend a minimum internal rim width of 20mm, according to your chart. 

Also this is for safety.  Re: aero and tyre profile you're undoubtedly better going with something 20-21mm ID and ~28mm OD on their Pro Ones for 25-27mm.

Schwalbe and just about every other manufacturer recommends significantly wider than ETRTO both for safety, optimal profile, and aero reasons.  ETRTO is basically an industry legal ass covering as far as tyre / rim widths are concerned.

My first post still applies.

I don't think you're reading the chart correctly at all. The dark blue is Schwalbe additional recommendations to what the ETRTO standard is not recommended in place of.

FHS

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 02:29:19 PM »

/shrug

I basically agree with you as far as aero gains go. I roll on 26mm Conti TLs/ 21mm ID x 30mm OD, 60mm deep rims, purely for the aero gains. On 21mm ID rims, the 26mm Conti TLs pump up to 28mm at around 90psi. That still meets the Rule of 105 on my new wheels. It didn't when I rolled on 21ID x 28OD 46mm deep rims. It's not really comparing apples to apples given the different rim profiles and depths, but the gains on the new wheels are significant.

That being said, I had no problem riding my endurance bike with the stock 32mm tires on 17mm ID rims out of the box. Really comfy.

tcross

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2021, 08:50:11 PM »
Thanks RDY going for a set of 25mm. Limited by the frame.

There is just so little info on the Vortex that is stopping me from pulling the trigger asap. At least winspace has a bit of a history. Just trying to get more info to make sure I don't end up with an overpriced dud.