Author Topic: Winspace G2 Gravel/Road Help (1st build)  (Read 3832 times)

hal9e3

Winspace G2 Gravel/Road Help (1st build)
« on: September 25, 2021, 02:57:34 AM »
My first build so any help/advice is REALLY appreciated. When it's done I promise I will post updates/reviews on this forum  ;D

Background
Currently living in Thailand and looking to build a do-it-all bike, endurance road/light touring that can keep up on group rides? The G2 looks like a good bet, 90% road but some of the roads here turn to gravel or are bad quality. Seems like the G2 frame can fit me no matter what cycling I do in the future. Something way better than the Trek FX2 hybrid I currently tour with. Want to keep the budget ~2k usd unless upgrades are really worth it.

Parts I picked so far:
Winspace G2 Frame - https://www.winspace.cc/g2-gravel.html
Parts List - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xjeuDtMygdshfksSF_VY43TmDWN4yVqgf317Atn0E-0/edit?usp=sharing

But basically trying to save money with Sensah Empire, Elitewheels Carbon, CVR crank

I've done HOURS of research on here, Youtube, reddit but still don't feel confident if my parts even fit well together, or if I'm missing something else I have to buy. Still haven't decided on handlebars/cockpit stuff for example.

Questions:

1. Elitewheels ENT with Pillar 1420s seem like a recommended budget choice. Are carbon wheels ok for some gravel? I do ride in the rain also, should I upgrade the hubs?

2. Was also thinking of running 32 tires for speed/comfort? Are Elitewheels 50mm depth/29 mm wide/19.5 mm inner good for that tire size? Would I lose speed going with a bigger tire (since the g2 can support up to 50mm tires)?

3. The Winspace uses a BSA bottom bracket, any recs on what I should buy here? Does it fit with the crank I have selected?

4. The Winspace website also says it uses a "12mm through axle F100mm R142mm". I honestly can't tell if this works with my wheels.

5. Also have some trepidations about the Hydra/Mech setup, especially since there are a lot of climbs/descents here + I'll have some bags. Any thoughts? The 6 mount rotor works for my setup right?

ANY help/advice you guys can give would be much appreciated. I have bike shops here that can help me put the bike together but definitely getting a little anxiety about this build  :-[

zilcho

Re: Winspace G2 Gravel/Road Help (1st build)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2021, 10:00:37 AM »
1. Are you set on this frame? It is very expensive as far as Chinese frames go. It is new and unproven, but likely fine. And personally I find it unattractive with the super dropped chain stays, 'mullet' paint job, and countless mounting bolts.

2. Nothing wrong with saving money using Sensah. However, 50/34 with 11-32 may not be enough gear for touring and I've seen some crazy steep climbs in Thailand too.

3. For handlebar I'd suggest looking at the FSA Adventure, same price range but it's got a nice flair in the drops.

4. I would probably pick a different tire. The GP5K is great for speed but I think there are better options for endurance/touring.

hal9e3

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2021, 12:17:25 PM »
1. Are you set on this frame? It is very expensive as far as Chinese frames go. It is new and unproven, but likely fine. And personally I find it unattractive with the super dropped chain stays, 'mullet' paint job, and countless mounting bolts.

2. Nothing wrong with saving money using Sensah. However, 50/34 with 11-32 may not be enough gear for touring and I've seen some crazy steep climbs in Thailand too.

3. For handlebar I'd suggest looking at the FSA Adventure, same price range but it's got a nice flair in the drops.

4. I would probably pick a different tire. The GP5K is great for speed but I think there are better options for endurance/touring.

Thanks for the advice!

1. Yeah the frame is a bit expensive but have a friend who has a Winspace SLC and I like the quality. Plus this is one of the only 'road bike' frames I've seen that have mounting points for pannier racks/front racks. I need something to carry my laptop for work while I tour. I'll be getting the black frame too, don't like the pink either :D.

2. I would ideally like to go for a ~46/36 but couldn't find anything on Aliexpress. I would be willing to go with a 'real part' but not sure whats recommended. Everyone on YouTube shows expensive 'dream builds' haha. Technically Winspace doesn't recommend 50/34 because of possible chain drop problems. There are some brutal climbs here in the north, and top speed > 30mph doesn't matter toooo much.

3. Thanks for the rec!

4. If you are familiar with Thailand roads do you recommend anything else? GP5000s are just something I've heard thrown around a lot.

Thanks so much for the tips btw!

kbike

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2021, 02:32:17 PM »
Does the Gr044 frame match what you want?

Aren't there single speed 32 and lower mtb rings you could mount on that crank? If you already know you'll be going slower ahead of time. Just swap the double for single ring.

Maybe get a 11-34

A 46-36 would be harder climbing but nicer cruising on flats.

ChinerVirus

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2021, 09:45:44 PM »
I'm also building a gravel bike with similar budget and component range. I've only just begun ordering parts and haven't received anything so I can't share experience with quality or build experience -- only my research so far.

Questions:

1. Elitewheels ENT with Pillar 1420s seem like a recommended budget choice. Are carbon wheels ok for some gravel? I do ride in the rain also, should I upgrade the hubs?

2. Was also thinking of running 32 tires for speed/comfort? Are Elitewheels 50mm depth/29 mm wide/19.5 mm inner good for that tire size? Would I lose speed going with a bigger tire (since the g2 can support up to 50mm tires)?

3. The Winspace uses a BSA bottom bracket, any recs on what I should buy here? Does it fit with the crank I have selected?

4. The Winspace website also says it uses a "12mm through axle F100mm R142mm". I honestly can't tell if this works with my wheels.

5. Also have some trepidations about the Hydra/Mech setup, especially since there are a lot of climbs/descents here + I'll have some bags. Any thoughts? The 6 mount rotor works for my setup right?

Here's my input on your questions.

1. Yes, carbon wheels are great for gravel. I don't think you're going to notice the choice of spokes. There are common complaints of poor water resistance with the stock Elitewheels hubs (RD05, RD07, ... RD13, etc.). They are also REALLY loud hubs. Another thing to consider with Elitewheels is they take an INCREDIBLY long time to ship after your order. 10 -- 12 weeks is common. Tracevelo on Youtube has some very informative reviews and breakdowns of these wheels if you have concerns with the stock hubs or anything else. Takeaway is positive.

2. I doubt you'll feel a difference with lighter/upgraded spokes (though more spokes is better with gravel riding I hear). I might consider getting a wider (hopefully tubeless) tire if you'll be riding dirt or gravel roads. 19.5mm inner width is plenty wide. You can actually fit as wide of a tire as you want in general. Its actually the reverse that's not true (can't fit narrow tires on wider rims). Here's a good article I found on the topic of rim inner width vs tire width: https://www.renehersecycles.com/myth-18-wide-tires-need-wide-rims/

Side note, I also went with Elitewheels but I selected their gravel specific wheelset, at 35mm deep x 32mm wide, tubeless ready:https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33003076757.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dUfrqoq
I'm planning to fit at least 37mm wide tires for more comfort, might go as wide as 40mm. These wheels have an ID of 22mm so should fit tires from 37 to 60mm+ tires (not that I ever intend to go that big).

3. You need to select a bottom bracket that fits both your frame (matching type AND shell width) and your chosen crankset (matching axle diameter). Both frames you linked to (the Winspace G2, and the Carbonda CFR696) use BSA with a shell width of 68mm, which is standard for road bikes. (Mountain bikes with BSA usually have a wider shell of 73mm.) Note, the BSA standard actually has an inner diameter of between 33.6 and 33.9 mm, which is larger than the Hallowtech 2 diameter crankset you have selected (24mm). HOWEVER you can buy adapters (sleeves) to mate narrower axle diameters to a standard BSA BB, or buy an "all-in-one" BSA BB with a non-standard inner diameter, like 24mm. I think most people do the latter. Zrace makes a 24mm inner diameter BSA BB that should work fine with your frame and the Zrace Hardrock crank: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001500906036.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.4c0b5535biScWn&algo_pvid=08cef7ab-fae7-45fc-8173-ae3bd297072b&algo_exp_id=08cef7ab-fae7-45fc-8173-ae3bd297072b-9&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2212000016362458412%22%7D

4. 100x12mm and 142x12mm is pretty standard for road frame thru axles. Both of the frames you linked have this size, although it looks like you can optionally specify 100x15mm for the fork on the CFR696. You want 100x12mm to match the wheels.

5. I'm buying the same brakes and Sensah shift leavers, so I'll let you know how they perform! I think I saw on your spreadsheet you are swapping out the pads with Shimano resin brake pads and you have compressionless brake housings. I also read both of those things will improve these brakes. I'm doing both as well. Make sure you have adapters for the brakes to fit 160mm rotors.

One last thing -- I think the Zrace rotors you have there are six bolt. Most of the Elitewheel hubs are Centrelock, so you'd need an adapter like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000260123765.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.4add65d6pLuy7I&algo_pvid=69da709b-8071-4a13-b087-0cb14ef89876&algo_exp_id=69da709b-8071-4a13-b087-0cb14ef89876-5&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2210000001057121839%22%7D

hal9e3

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 02:43:33 AM »
I'm also building a gravel bike with similar budget and component range. I've only just begun ordering parts and haven't received anything so I can't share experience with quality or build experience -- only my research so far.

Here's my input on your questions.

1. Yes, carbon wheels are great for gravel. I don't think you're going to notice the choice of spokes. There are common complaints of poor water resistance with the stock Elitewheels hubs (RD05, RD07, ... RD13, etc.). They are also REALLY loud hubs. Another thing to consider with Elitewheels is they take an INCREDIBLY long time to ship after your order. 10 -- 12 weeks is common. Tracevelo on Youtube has some very informative reviews and breakdowns of these wheels if you have concerns with the stock hubs or anything else. Takeaway is positive.

2. I doubt you'll feel a difference with lighter/upgraded spokes (though more spokes is better with gravel riding I hear). I might consider getting a wider (hopefully tubeless) tire if you'll be riding dirt or gravel roads. 19.5mm inner width is plenty wide. You can actually fit as wide of a tire as you want in general. Its actually the reverse that's not true (can't fit narrow tires on wider rims). Here's a good article I found on the topic of rim inner width vs tire width: https://www.renehersecycles.com/myth-18-wide-tires-need-wide-rims/

Side note, I also went with Elitewheels but I selected their gravel specific wheelset, at 35mm deep x 32mm wide, tubeless ready:https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33003076757.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dUfrqoq
I'm planning to fit at least 37mm wide tires for more comfort, might go as wide as 40mm. These wheels have an ID of 22mm so should fit tires from 37 to 60mm+ tires (not that I ever intend to go that big).

3. You need to select a bottom bracket that fits both your frame (matching type AND shell width) and your chosen crankset (matching axle diameter). Both frames you linked to (the Winspace G2, and the Carbonda CFR696) use BSA with a shell width of 68mm, which is standard for road bikes. (Mountain bikes with BSA usually have a wider shell of 73mm.) Note, the BSA standard actually has an inner diameter of between 33.6 and 33.9 mm, which is larger than the Hallowtech 2 diameter crankset you have selected (24mm). HOWEVER you can buy adapters (sleeves) to mate narrower axle diameters to a standard BSA BB, or buy an "all-in-one" BSA BB with a non-standard inner diameter, like 24mm. I think most people do the latter. Zrace makes a 24mm inner diameter BSA BB that should work fine with your frame and the Zrace Hardrock crank: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001500906036.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.4c0b5535biScWn&algo_pvid=08cef7ab-fae7-45fc-8173-ae3bd297072b&algo_exp_id=08cef7ab-fae7-45fc-8173-ae3bd297072b-9&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2212000016362458412%22%7D

4. 100x12mm and 142x12mm is pretty standard for road frame thru axles. Both of the frames you linked have this size, although it looks like you can optionally specify 100x15mm for the fork on the CFR696. You want 100x12mm to match the wheels.

5. I'm buying the same brakes and Sensah shift leavers, so I'll let you know how they perform! I think I saw on your spreadsheet you are swapping out the pads with Shimano resin brake pads and you have compressionless brake housings. I also read both of those things will improve these brakes. I'm doing both as well. Make sure you have adapters for the brakes to fit 160mm rotors.

One last thing -- I think the Zrace rotors you have there are six bolt. Most of the Elitewheel hubs are Centrelock, so you'd need an adapter like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000260123765.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.4add65d6pLuy7I&algo_pvid=69da709b-8071-4a13-b087-0cb14ef89876&algo_exp_id=69da709b-8071-4a13-b087-0cb14ef89876-5&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2210000001057121839%22%7D

Thanks for the write-up dude! Super helpful!

1. The stock hubs water resistance is the one thing I'm worried about since I do ride in the rain. Do you know what the real difference between 05,07,13 hubs? Also why the hell are the dtswiss240s so expensive compared to everything else  :D. Hoping the shipping from China isn't as bad since I live in Thailand.

2. Good to hear, I think I'm going to put 32s on since I'm mostly on the road and want to go faster. I wonder if I'm reducing the aero gains I might get from the 50mm depth then though. For your build you are mostly focusing on gravel than road right?

3. Thanks for clearing things up on the BB. So many standards. I guess I have to decide on a crankset first and then the BB. I'm looking for a 46t/30t now and haven't decided on anything. Any recs there? The grx looks good but apparently it needs it's own front derailleur because of some offset?

Actually that's another question I had, what parts/brands can I use that are compatible with Sensah?

4. Thanks for the tips on the adapters for everything! This is where I'm scared to fuck up and have my parts all not fit together haha.

RDY

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 08:27:57 AM »
If I were you, if you're set on that frame, I'd buy it from Light Bicycle instead.  Customer service tends to be better.  I think Winspace have had significant issues handling their own growth. It's identical.