Author Topic: Tantan Seraph FM699 issues  (Read 1079 times)

MagicShite

Tantan Seraph FM699 issues
« on: September 27, 2021, 05:59:28 AM »
Just received my Tantan Seraph Fm699 after a long arduous painful process with my local customs.

It is unfortunate but there is a small void on the bottom headtube cup. Tantan Seraph said that this is of "no concern" and is safe to ride.  :(

Any ideas?

EDIT: Unfortunately if I return this frame it would be insanely expensive on my side. So I'm really weighing the options right now.

emu26

Re: Tantan Seraph FM699 issues
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2021, 06:11:59 AM »
It is hard to tell from that pic but I am assuming that is a carbon recess and not an aluminum race?  If it is a carbon recess then for me it does not appear to be a problem. Your headset will have a metal cup that will press into that recess and the bearing will then sit into the cup, the metal cup spreads the load.  That said, I would be looking from the top down into the headtube to make sure that is is only a small issue and it is not a problem around the whole of the bottom section, if that makes sense. The bottom section is often formed by bonding a smaller carbob tube into the layup of the bottom section of the headtube.  If that hasn't bonded properly then it could lead to a much bigger failure later on.

Either, it is a shame that this sort of thing slips through the QC process.

MagicShite

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2021, 06:25:49 AM »
It is hard to tell from that pic but I am assuming that is a carbon recess and not an aluminum race?  If it is a carbon recess then for me it does not appear to be a problem. Your headset will have a metal cup that will press into that recess and the bearing will then sit into the cup, the metal cup spreads the load.  That said, I would be looking from the top down into the headtube to make sure that is is only a small issue and it is not a problem around the whole of the bottom section, if that makes sense. The bottom section is often formed by bonding a smaller carbob tube into the layup of the bottom section of the headtube.  If that hasn't bonded properly then it could lead to a much bigger failure later on.

Either, it is a shame that this sort of thing slips through the QC process.

Yes sir it is a carbon recess and not a aluminum race. You're looking directly at the bottom of the head tube bottom cup itself. There is no race/metal parts being installed. This is a bare frame.

The Carbon tube seems fine. Only the recess are has a small void/hole/slit.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this is an integrated headset so there is no external metal cups being pressed in for the head tube bearings.

theirishrider

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2021, 08:49:47 AM »
If you're talking about the small 'hair' void/crack in the race cup - would suggest it's likely fine. How deep is it?  If you are worried about it, a bit of carbon fibre friendly epoxy pushed into the void, then gently sanded to smooth the surface would be an appropriate fix.

carbonazza

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 08:59:24 AM »
I wouldn't be happy to see that on my frame, but I would ride it anyway.
As suggested plug it with epoxy, if you are worried.

Tantan not winning points... again  ::)
Each time I want to give them a chance for a hardtail, a story like this pops up.

MagicShite

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2021, 06:15:41 AM »
Another issue found while trying to install the seatpost.

It seems like the entire seatpost hole is OVAL.

How does one even fit a standard 34.9mm seatpost clamp on it?

Jesus.  :'(

emu26

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2021, 08:49:34 PM »
Yeah that doesn't look good.

Have you sent them photos of that as well and if so, what have they said to this one?

If they still won't replace the frame then is the oval too small or too big at the widest part?  If it is too small then it might be possible to rescue it with a drum flap sander / flap wheel.  Not ideal, and also expensive but just a thought.  Also, if you bought from Aliexpress and the seller won't come to the party then I would be opening a dispute. That's two pretty poor QC issues.

MagicShite

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2021, 10:34:26 PM »
Yeah that doesn't look good.

Have you sent them photos of that as well and if so, what have they said to this one?

If they still won't replace the frame then is the oval too small or too big at the widest part?  If it is too small then it might be possible to rescue it with a drum flap sander / flap wheel.  Not ideal, and also expensive but just a thought.  Also, if you bought from Aliexpress and the seller won't come to the party then I would be opening a dispute. That's two pretty poor QC issues.

They repeatedly insinuated I was lying and finally had to "reluctantly" ask me to return the frame after I sent them two caliper measurements (pictures) and spoke in Mandarin. (I'm a Chinese from another SEA country)

These people are really the one of the worst when comes to customer service and QC in the industry.

I own many China products, resell plenty of them and it's really the truth that you get the best of the best and the worst of the worst from the same place. For TanTan Seraph, avoid all all cost.

I've lost nearly 238 USD out of this whole deal, for what is essentially a 350-360ish USD frame. The shipping cost back to them is insanely expensive.

emu26

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2021, 12:01:07 AM »
Often they want it back so you can't profit from it by on selling it. Ask them if they will be happy with you sending pics of frame cut in half.

MagicShite

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2021, 04:57:40 AM »
Often they want it back so you can't profit from it by on selling it. Ask them if they will be happy with you sending pics of frame cut in half.

Unfortunately they still argue that there is nothing wrong with the frame.

I have given up hope and I'll just send it back and keep finding that next hard tail gem.

I will never buy from Tantan Seraph again. What a complete contrast in comparison to the likes of LightBicycle and Winspace.