Author Topic: DT 240EXP hub clones Goldix, Venfort  (Read 29939 times)

Sebastian

Re: DT 240EXP hub clones Goldix, Venfort
« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2023, 12:18:24 PM »
Is this a case of an expired patent? It seems that throughout the past year every single Chinese wheelseller started to offer a set with copies of various models of DT Swiss hubs. All of them ratchet.

kbernstein

« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2023, 01:09:46 PM »
Is this a case of an expired patent? It seems that throughout the past year every single Chinese wheelseller started to offer a set with copies of various models of DT Swiss hubs. All of them ratchet.

Yes. Old model 240 was an incredible hub, and when the patent expired, everyone copied it, DTSwiss made a new one that is objectively inferior and ramped up the marketing to hide the fact old 240 was peak design

Sebastian

« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2023, 01:27:19 PM »
I see. But it's not only the 240 hub shell I see copies of. I've also seen copies of the DiCut hubs. But I guess the patent only applies to the internals and the ratchet mechanism anyway. Good for the consumers, that this tech is now open to everyone. As long as they manage to copy it properly without the stuff breaking upon first use, that is.

crazyrt

« Reply #93 on: September 18, 2023, 08:14:05 AM »
Hello everyone, I want to share my experience of using the GOLDIX 240 EXP hub. As soon as I assembled the wheel, on the first ride the ratchet slipped under load, various lubricants didt help, and in the end, after 100 km the ratchet broke.

Thanks for the reminder!  I just cleaned out and lightly regreased the ratchets in my wifes new hub.  They only have 50 miles but she said that she thought she felt it slip once or twice, everything looked perfect.  I ordered a spare a genuine DT 24t ratchet set to keep on her bike to keep from being stranded.  It would be a shame for such a small and light spare part to not carry one.

jannmayer

« Reply #94 on: September 18, 2023, 10:08:55 AM »
Hello everyone, I want to share my experience of using the GOLDIX 240 EXP hub. As soon as I assembled the wheel, on the first ride the ratchet slipped under load, various lubricants didt help, and in the end, after 100 km the ratchet broke.

Was this the 54T or 36T ratchet? I've heard of a lot of issues with the 54T. I have a 36T and it has been solid for close to 500 miles. I've cleaned and lined it a couple times, making sure to use a light lube sparingly.

I probably will replace it with a DT Swiss ratchet at some point though.

nicklej

« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2023, 04:01:52 PM »
Was this the 54T or 36T ratchet? I've heard of a lot of issues with the 54T. I have a 36T and it has been solid for close to 500 miles. I've cleaned and lined it a couple times, making sure to use a light lube sparingly.

If you've had to do that much maintenance in so few miles I don't think the hubs are up for the job. My last 240 was fine evern after 10k miles and no service and require a single bearing replacement at that point.

I bought some chiner hubs last year and they were shite, looked good though mind you.

Pedaldancer

« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2023, 06:46:57 PM »
If you've had to do that much maintenance in so few miles I don't think the hubs are up for the job. My last 240 was fine evern after 10k miles and no service and require a single bearing replacement at that point.

I bought some chiner hubs last year and they were shite, looked good though mind you.

As  far as i know there were also quite some riders having issues with ST Swiss 54 teeth Ratchet. It's just getting more sensitive to tolerances with rising teeth number.

The advice to go for 36T is something, that I also read and it did work for a ZTTO hub (it usually comes with 54, but they changed it to 36 for me). My Goldix hub does have a 36T ratchet, too.
The ZTTO M1 hub has 1000km so far, as no slipping happened so far, I will expect that it will work now until fatigue changes the situation. The Goldix 21H Ratchet has "only" 300km so far, I just finished the wheels very recently. No slipping so far.

My thesis: these systems may work very good for riders with low force on the pedals. (Either low power and/or high cadence ).. but being strong may immediately overstress the mechanic, which would then lead  to an early failure.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 06:50:19 PM by Pedaldancer »

jannmayer

« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2023, 10:42:53 PM »

I've relubed the ratchet twice. The first time was when it was new and I wanted to ensure it was properly lubed. The second was when I was chasing down a creaking noise that turned out to be a cassette issue. The hub hasn't given me any cause for alarm. I'm 95kg and like to ride up some really steep stuff, so I've given them a pretty good workout so far.

crazyrt

« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2023, 01:57:49 AM »

36T  They are ZTTO R2 and so far so good. I just wanted to check on it after a couple of rides.

« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2023, 05:14:13 PM »
Blown up 2 Ztto M1 hubs.  killed the 54t ratchets  replaced with fovno ratchets then killed the spline that connects the ratchet to the hub.

Have multiple sets of Goldix hubs that I beat on.
Goldix hubs have been bullet proof. Oldest Running for 2 years now trouble free

nicklej

« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2023, 10:19:49 PM »
Blown up 2 Ztto M1 hubs.  killed the 54t ratchets  replaced with fovno ratchets then killed the spline that connects the ratchet to the hub.

Have multiple sets of Goldix hubs that I beat on.
Goldix hubs have been bullet proof. Oldest Running for 2 years now trouble free

Are your Goldix ratchets 54 or 36t?

alex.tomazov

« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2023, 03:24:46 AM »

It was 36T ratchet

alex.tomazov

« Reply #102 on: September 21, 2023, 03:32:44 AM »
Thanks for the reminder!  I just cleaned out and lightly regreased the ratchets in my wifes new hub.  They only have 50 miles but she said that she thought she felt it slip once or twice, everything looked perfect.  I ordered a spare a genuine DT 24t ratchet set to keep on her bike to keep from being stranded.  It would be a shame for such a small and light spare part to not carry one.
The seller sent a new ratchet under warranty, asked to send an 18t ratchet, I hope everything will be fine this time

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #103 on: September 27, 2023, 01:40:42 AM »
So yesterday I ordered a set of Goldix R180 hubs. Looks like new version and I got a really good early bird deal that I could not let pass.

Planning to build a lightweight MTB wheelset with it.

I really wanted a set of Novatec 411/412 hubs, but every Aliexpress seller that I tried to buy them off had been scamming me until now... So now I'm gonna try the Goldix hub I have been trying to avoid  ;D

Pedaldancer

« Reply #104 on: September 27, 2023, 05:48:57 AM »
So yesterday I ordered a set of Goldix R180 hubs. Looks like new version and I got a really good early bird deal that I could not let pass.

Planning to build a lightweight MTB wheelset with it.

I really wanted a set of Novatec 411/412 hubs, but every Aliexpress seller that I tried to buy them off had been scamming me until now... So now I'm gonna try the Goldix hub I have been trying to avoid  ;D

The novatec 411/412 are road hubs, that's anyway not the correct for MTB?

I run Goldix Road hubs for roughly 400km.
I am still not 100% sure that the Ratchet will stay alive. But that's also because I read so much about failing Goldix Ratchets. I have 36T version.