Author Topic: What's your go to bottom bracket?  (Read 1883 times)

2Wheelzgood

What's your go to bottom bracket?
« on: October 03, 2021, 09:58:01 AM »
I bought a ZTTO PF30 cermaic BB and it was trash, one rainy Gravel fondo killed it, the bearings where rough as guts afterwards and had to be trashed.  Can anyone recommend a brand with good sealed steel bearings that last and can handle some crappy weather?

Schumo

Re: What's your go to bottom bracket?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 10:59:59 AM »
I run ZTTO BBs on both of my bikes.

The bearings on the hardtail lasted about 60km in muddy winter conditions before they were trash, I swapped them from some new ones from ebay which are fine since them. But I already expected that the stock ones wouldn't last very long.

No problems on the roadbike, but that hasn't seen any water.  ;D

I personally would never get any chinese ceramic bearings.

kbike

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2021, 01:50:10 PM »
I just bought a cheap press fit 386/pf30 to 24mm for newest bike. I only have 100km on them.  My plan is to press out the crappy bearings and plastic caps. Then install decent bearings into the aluminum shell.

My other bikes are bb86 and 92. so I use Shimano. All those bikes have over 12000km each. Only 1 of those bikes has needed a replacement bb and after 4 years of riding it.

Snacks

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2021, 02:08:07 PM »
i use the ztto thread together press fit BB's but replace the bearings with skf or ntn bearings. 1200+ miles on my road bike & ~1000k miles on my gravel bike with no issues

was8v

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 03:06:21 PM »
In the UK for mtb or gravel the only solution is Hope.

2Wheelzgood

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2021, 03:54:48 PM »
yeah i guess BB's are one area not to scrimp on, Hope sounds good.

emu26

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2021, 10:26:53 PM »
From now on it will be Cane Creek Hellbender 110. Sydney sandstone destroys bearings that aren't well sealed.  Lifetime replacement gaurantee. You get what you pay for.

https://canecreek.com/product/hellbender-110-bottom-bracket/

carbonazza

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2021, 11:32:20 PM »
From now on it will be Cane Creek Hellbender 110. Sydney sandstone destroys bearings that aren't well sealed.  Lifetime replacement gaurantee. You get what you pay for.

https://canecreek.com/product/hellbender-110-bottom-bracket/

Interesting, how long have you been riding it in the sandstone?

emu26

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2021, 01:21:57 AM »
The sandstone breaks down to grains of quartz, among other things, and this destroys any bearing that is not sealed well. I don't have one yet but have just put one of their headsets on my boys bike and was that impressed that all headsets and bb's will be going that way in future.

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 05:37:09 PM »
I've a Chris king in my p9, lovely bit of kit, too pricey for just a BB though imo

carbonazza

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2021, 03:34:23 AM »
The sandstone breaks down to grains of quartz, among other things, and this destroys any bearing...
We have the same here, abrasive and often wet soil.

My conclusion was whatever you put(Hope, BB Infinite, WMFG, SRAM, stainless bearings,...), bearings die in a season if exposed regularly to mud.
I use now cheap disposable ones, changing them once or twice a year.
So I'm especially interested to know how yours will fare in the months to come.

was8v

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2021, 06:24:41 AM »
I run Un71 square taper on one bike, not changed that in many years! They will fit any BSA bottom bracket!

emu26

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2021, 06:41:25 PM »
We have the same here, abrasive and often wet soil.

My conclusion was whatever you put(Hope, BB Infinite, WMFG, SRAM, stainless bearings,...), bearings die in a season if exposed regularly to mud.
I use now cheap disposable ones, changing them once or twice a year.
So I'm especially interested to know how yours will fare in the months to come.

I will let you know how his headset holds up, he is on the bike nearly every day.

FHS

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2021, 04:57:55 PM »
Wheels MFG.

I used a thread together BB86 for my Shimano crankset, then switched to their PF when I switched to a DUB crankset. Yeah, I'm enjoying the comparatively mild So Cal weather and mostly glass smooth roads, but I did take the bike back East for a couple of weeks. Rode a couple hundred miles through some torrential downpours, mud, grit, terrible roads, but the PF held up nicely. Still going with the original bearings.

zxcvbnmjm

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2021, 06:25:06 AM »
ive been using the token ninja for bb86 frame with gxp cranks. only for a few months but so far no problems! they were recommended by china cycling