Author Topic: Elite Wheels - Hubs Question & Tubeless vs Clincher  (Read 1959 times)

Charltonfan1

Elite Wheels - Hubs Question & Tubeless vs Clincher
« on: October 12, 2021, 09:32:28 AM »
Currently run Clincher tyres on my alloy wheels and keen to pickup some Elite BWS wheels and use my existing tyres to start with. Then keen to have the option of tubeless in future

The wheels can be ordered in 3 options  - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001670378179.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.47a83c00UMNrP6&mp=1

Messaged the seller who said if i choose clincher they can't run tubeless but if i order tubeless they can run clinchers also. Bit confusing for a noob like me! Are there any downsides to this option?

Lastly is the extra $100 worth it to go for a DT Swiss 350 hub?

Thanks

Jbegs

Re: Elite Wheels - Hubs Question & Tubeless vs Clincher
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2021, 10:54:53 AM »
Depends on what you are using them for. If you are only riding road, stay away from tubeless all together.
DT swiss 350 are my favorite hubs and they are a know brand where as the others are generic. Probably perfectly good hubs but if we ever decide to sell those wheels the DT swiss part will be the only thing that gets you any money back.

olajosgatya

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 01:42:52 PM »
As far as I know tubeless rims have different hooks on the side of the rim than the clinchers. I think they are bigger or more prominent or something else to help the tubeless tyres to achieve a good seal. So it is true that clincher rims will not accommodate tubeless tyres but the tubeless rims can fit clinchers. I have gp5000s on my tubeless wheels at the moment and did not have a problem with it. I also had pro one tle tubeless tyres before but after having 3 punctures in a week I ditched the whole concept of tubeless and went back to clinchers.

I have tried many wheelsets with different hubs but all of them had the same flaw. Most of the pawl based hubs are annoyingly loud. I hate that. Then I tried the dtswiss 350 hub with an 18 teeth star ratchet system and I can say it is a huge difference. They are really quiet. So for me the extra $100 would totally worth it.

One thing I am keen to try out are the dtwiss star ratchet copycat hubs on ali. Also the RD13 hub from elitewheels is such a dtswiss copy.

carbonazza

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 12:43:27 AM »
...If you are only riding road, stay away from tubeless all together...

Maybe you had some bad luck or poor sealant or tires combination.
I ride tubeless tires on my road bike for about 3-4 years now.
This year so far without a flat for ~8,400km.
With Orange sealant, the regular one. And GP5000 tires.

Tubeless rims have a special bead profile that retains better the tire on it.
And in the center has a deeper groove for an easier mount.

1Sigma

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 06:17:10 PM »
As far as I know tubeless rims have different hooks on the side of the rim than the clinchers. I think they are bigger or more prominent or something else to help the tubeless tyres to achieve a good seal. So it is true that clincher rims will not accommodate tubeless tyres but the tubeless rims can fit clinchers. I have gp5000s on my tubeless wheels at the moment and did not have a problem with it. I also had pro one tle tubeless tyres before but after having 3 punctures in a week I ditched the whole concept of tubeless and went back to clinchers.

I have tried many wheelsets with different hubs but all of them had the same flaw. Most of the pawl based hubs are annoyingly loud. I hate that. Then I tried the dtswiss 350 hub with an 18 teeth star ratchet system and I can say it is a huge difference. They are really quiet. So for me the extra $100 would totally worth it.

One thing I am keen to try out are the dtwiss star ratchet copycat hubs on ali. Also the RD13 hub from elitewheels is such a dtswiss copy.

I've never used DT Swiss, but I have no complaints with the RD13
Better than average - Extra Average

Jbegs

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2021, 03:27:51 PM »
Maybe you had some bad luck or poor sealant or tires combination.
I ride tubeless tires on my road bike for about 3-4 years now.
This year so far without a flat for ~8,400km.
With Orange sealant, the regular one. And GP5000 tires.

Tubeless rims have a special bead profile that retains better the tire on it.
And in the center has a deeper groove for an easier mount.

Has nothing to do with the tire staying inflated. Its more to do with the benefits of a tubeless system vs Clincher in a road application. I also said it depends what your using it for.

carbonazza

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2021, 03:37:02 AM »
Has nothing to do with the tire staying inflated. Its more to do with the benefits of a tubeless system vs Clincher in a road application. I also said it depends what your using it for.
Having almost no flats, and lower pressure for comfort are worth the small effort even for pure road riding.
Everybody could try a pair of tubeless tires once, use them until they die or being fed up, and make their own idea of it, instead of reading forums  ;)
In any case if you are shopping for new rims, take tubeless and get both options.

1Sigma

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 09:23:25 AM »
Having almost no flats, and lower pressure for comfort are worth the small effort even for pure road riding.
Everybody could try a pair of tubeless tires once, use them until they die or being fed up, and make their own idea of it, instead of reading forums  ;)
In any case if you are shopping for new rims, take tubeless and get both options.

In line with what you are saying, I tried tubeless.  Don't know if I am head over heels in love with it compared to tubes, but I probably wont be going back.
Then again, I am using Michelin Power Road, which apparently are super easy to mount and I have an air compressor...

Charltonfan1

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2021, 10:36:29 AM »
Thanks all for your insight

1Sigma

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2022, 03:14:08 PM »

Got my first tubeless puncture today.
I say puncture, because it didn't result in a flat.
I now realize the importance of distinguishing between a flat and a puncture.
The hole was slightly too big for the sealant to stop
Added a plug and a bit of air, and I was off.   

Took all of 2 traffic light changes to do