Author Topic: Oval chainrings for Road bike  (Read 1191 times)

cramy

Oval chainrings for Road bike
« on: October 19, 2021, 12:43:04 AM »
Hello Guys,

Do you have any good oval chainrings to recommend for a road bike?

If any one has tried any oval chainrings from Ali I will appreciate if they can share with experience and feeling.

Thanks

jstrawks

Re: Oval chainrings for Road bike
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 07:40:59 AM »
I have a Wolf Tooth on my 1X. The bike's not finished, so I haven't ridden it.

tripleDot

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 06:32:35 AM »
I'm using Stone 110BCD narrow-wide for my single speed gravel bike & single speed road bike. Have put over 4,500km combined and no problem. I'm also using the same brand on my 29er mtb with over 3,000km with no complains as well. I don't know if they have 2x chainrings though.
July 2020 - Custom Waltly Ti 29er
Nov 2018 - Custom Waltly Ti Gravel
Apr 2018 - CS-496 29x3.0 - stripped
Feb 2018 - CS-RB01 (SS Road)
Sep 2016 - CS-RB01 (road sold)
Jun 2016 - Chinese CF XC - stripped
Mar 2016 - Haro Projekt (sold)
Feb 2008 - Jamis Durango 29 (sold)
Mar 2001 - Scott Scale (sold)

olajosgatya

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 01:55:10 PM »
I am using a pair of 52-36 absolute black oval chainrings for 4 years now. I could not find anything on ali at that time so I bought this used set on ebay. I have not looked if there is anything good on ali nowadays.

I have switched stock ultegra 6800 chainrings to these absolute blacks. On the very first ride I felt some difference. I cannot describe it but it felt somehow different. Then the feeling went away after maybe a couple of hundred meters. My commuter has regular round rings and when I switch between that and my best bike with oval chainrings I cannot feel any difference anymore.

One thing did change and it seems like it is here to stay which is occasional chain drops when switching from the big ring to the small one. I could not figure out when it is happening because it is so random and rare-ish. But I have never had it with the ultegra rings. The indexing is correct and everything.

Before buying them I did a lot of research and found multiple forum posts on the internet describing similar problems. One of them suggested to get a chain catcher. I followed that advice and I am happy that I did. I would definitely suggest the same to protect that precious carbon frame. :D

cramy

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 01:40:19 PM »
thanks guys, I will have a look to your recommendation, it is very helpful.

zxcvbnmjm

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2021, 06:21:18 AM »
i am also using a 1x stone 110bcd narrow wide chainring. no problems at all so far. they dont make 2x though.

im in the market for 2x oval chainrings but so far the only set i can find in china(where i live) within my budget is the kcnc k5 blade 2

if anyone else has any suggestions please let me know!

carbonazza

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2021, 06:58:52 AM »
im in the market for 2x oval chainrings but so far the only set i can find in china(where i live) within my budget is the kcnc k5 blade 2

Wow. Not sure we can call these chainrings anymore... chainrectangles ? :o