Author Topic: Sunrimoon helmets, or helmets in general - Update: they finally arrived  (Read 1487 times)

1Sigma

I am currently looking at a couple helmets from a brand called Sunrimoon (under a company called Cigna).
Company looks to specialize in helmets - mostly bike and motorcycle.

When it comes to road helmets, do you prefer:
Comparatively less aero with more vents?
Comparatively more aero with fewer vents?

Would you even consider a helmet from China? If not, why?

Here are the helmets I am looking at.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 04:30:49 PM by 1Sigma »

Better than average - Extra Average

jannmayer

Re: Sunrimoon helmets, or helmets in general
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2021, 09:04:46 AM »
The fact that it's from China doesn't concern me. However, I wouldn't use a helmet that wasn't certified as meeting the relevant standards (EN1708 for Europe, CPSC for the US). It's hard to know if it will offer much protection if it doesn't have that testing.

carbonazza

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2021, 12:16:31 PM »
...EN1708 for Europe, CPSC for the US...
CSPC being stricter than EU-1708...
Europeans have apparently a harder head, and need less protection than the US riders.
Chinese may have an even harder one  ;D

I did crack a $25 Fask Protone, hitting a branch a couple of years ago, and bought another one.

1Sigma

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 01:03:29 PM »
Yea, looks like these helmets are CSPC certified, and the manufacturing of a single crash helmet isn't particularly complicated.
If they aren't outwardly copying anyone, I really have no reason to believe these helmets will be worse than something from Decathlon.
(I currently use a CCM helmet.  For those of you not Canadian, that is basically Walmart/Carrefour quality)

Also, looks like they've had some domestic races/exhibitions where cyclists used their gear. 

In keeping with my trend these days of seeing if I can get away with sourcing (almost) exclusively from Chinese firms that design and/or least manufacture their own brand, I think I might give these guys a shot.   I'll pick up 10 of them, keep one and FB Marketplace the rest

RobertRinAustin

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2021, 07:26:21 AM »
Make sure the fit system is 360 degrees. I bought a Chiner helmet and the head band that you adjust by turning the nob was not 360 degrees.  It only went a little over half way around the back of my head.  Doesn't fit as good or feel as comfortable.

1Sigma

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 08:32:48 AM »
Make sure the fit system is 360 degrees. I bought a Chiner helmet and the head band that you adjust by turning the nob was not 360 degrees.  It only went a little over half way around the back of my head.  Doesn't fit as good or feel as comfortable.

Hi Robert,
Good advice.  My current budget helmet is the same - not only is it not 360, the adjusting dial sits too high on the back of my skull (above the base), making for an uncomfortable fit if I want it to be secure (which I have unfortunately gotten used to)

1Sigma

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2022, 04:30:15 PM »
ALL THE HELMETS ARE BELONG TO ME!

hazzer19

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2022, 04:53:59 PM »
ALL THE HELMETS ARE BELONG TO ME!

I may have to get one for the slogan alone!

1Sigma

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2022, 06:09:01 PM »

I may have to get one for the slogan alone!

I’m going to keep a couple for myself, and see how they are.
Obviously, I’m not going to go smashing my head against things, but I can give my subjective opinion on comfort, appearance, etc.

1Sigma

First Impressions:
I kept 2 for myself, the TS-99 (Irridescent silver), and thr TS-42 (Blue/Purple. Blurple?) Both Medium.
This is their site with models: https://sunrimooncycling.com/
A few are very reminiscent of some HJC models...

They have rhe requisite stickers? Quite frankly, I am not concerned. I'm sure they fall in the spectrum of acceptably safe helmets.

They are light.  230g and 235g, respectively.
Retention system is basic, but snug. Helmet secures to head without straps.  Pads are removeble.  I have a long-ish face, and neither make my head look like a mushroom, which is good.

The carapace wraps around the bottom edge, which is nice and not often found in budget helmets.

What bothered me.  Inattention to post manufacturing details - this appears to be a common theme for OEMs turned Brand companies.

They didn't full the order 100% correctly. 8 of the 26 helmets were either the wrong model or size.

Accessories were all over the place.  Some missing travel bags, warranty cards, instructions, extra pads.   All the helmets had some combination of the above.  Maybe 2 had all of the above.

Waiting to see how SUNRIMOON responds
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 12:56:29 PM by 1Sigma »

Greenred

Combined with the fact of no MIPS that’s not so trust inspiring if you ask me. Also: maybe stating the obvious here, but it  doesn’t take a lot to state you’re producing certified stuff. I mean I totally get when people tell me to get branded shoes instead of china non branded stuff, but playing risky stuff with your head? I’m not going there but appreciate your honest review. Again, for the actual protection ability we don’t know which is way I for myself say hands off… cheers mate

Fat Larry

Mips is likely mostly snake oil.

1Sigma

Combined with the fact of no MIPS that’s not so trust inspiring if you ask me…I mean I totally get when people tell me to get branded shoes instead of china non branded stuff, but playing risky stuff with your head?
I knew I forgot to mention something: MIPS.
I agree that MIPS statistically makes a helmet safer, all thing being equal. But not by a massive margin.
Meaning while MIPS helmets tend to top the list of safest helmets, it’s not uncommon to find them poorly ranked as well.

Also, making a safe helmet isn’t difficult. It’s old tech.   In the end it’s basically just styrofoam on your head. From a protection standpoint, very little separates a $10 helmet from a $200 helmet.  A helmet coming from a Chinese company specializing in helmets is no less safe than a helmet from the majors. 

Kind of a long way of saying,
1) I agree MIPS is a good feature, and wish these helmets had them, but
2) I disagree that not having MIPS and not being a typical branded helmet makes this a risky proposition

I totally get it though.  It is the last line of defense, and it’s understandable if one has reservations.
I don't think anyone should buy bike gear they feel unsafe or unsure about,  and wouldn't try to convince them otherwise.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 10:49:14 PM by 1Sigma »

Icyseanfitz

Funnily enough this whole forum is discussing parts that most people would consider unsafe or too risky

Fat Larry

Yeah, i got some solid "nope not safe" answers on reddit when i was asking about stems and bars from Ali. For the sake of keeping my teeth I'm still a bit wary of anything in the front of a bike that could fail (wake stems..) but i did find Kalloy Uno, which given their history and that their products are iso tested, i'm happy to trust.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 08:05:13 PM by Fat Larry »