Author Topic: Painting reccomendations  (Read 1268 times)

jannmayer

Painting reccomendations
« on: September 02, 2021, 11:25:00 AM »
For those of you who have painted your own frames, what primer, paint, and clear coat do you recommend? I'm looking for something that will be durable and comes in a decent selection of colors, and I will be using spray cans as I don't have a spray gun.

Anyone have any experience with Montana Cans?

adriaanm

Re: Painting reccomendations
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2021, 11:44:26 AM »
I like spray.bike

Bajker

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 12:24:14 PM »
Use 2k primer and clear coat for durability (I'd recomend Spraymax), base color can be 1k Montana or any others you like.

Zoc

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 12:53:48 PM »
I used montana cans, spraying was very good,
But the Color is very soft, íf you use an Assembly stand for example
You See the clamp afterwards
Used a primer for Alloy
Paint normal black
And matt finish
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 06:50:02 AM by Zoc »

jannmayer

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2021, 11:42:36 PM »
When starting with a UD Matte frame, should I sand it all the way down to the carbon? Or is it sufficient to just sand it enough to smooth it? I will be using SprayMax 2k primer, if that makes a difference.

Bajker

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2021, 02:53:06 AM »
You should sand away as much as you possibly can, some places are more difficult get of course. Also (kinda obvious) these 2k paints are bad to breath in so wear a proper respirator and be in a well ventilated area.

Here's a video guide of a pro doing a proper DIY spray can paint job.
https://youtu. be/rsD3E0b6mko

Schumo

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2021, 11:22:42 AM »
UD matte has usually a layer of paint on it, so you can just sand it a bit with a fine grit and start painting w/o a primer.

saintrider

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2022, 05:52:26 PM »
I completely stripped down (sanded) my lexon frame before painting. Used spraymax 2k epoxy primer, Montana cans for colors and most importantly spraymax 2k glossy clearcoat. 2 coats of primer (wet sanding between layers) and before paint,  1 base color metálic black, 1 layer of logos and effects in metálico gold , 1 layer of hollogram glitter effects, and three layers of 2k clearcoat with wetsanding and polish in the end.

For my first project came out a huge success. Very professional result. Will not buy a complete bike again from now on  8)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 05:54:06 PM by saintrider »

jfcb

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2022, 05:12:32 AM »
I completely stripped down (sanded) my lexon frame before painting. Used spraymax 2k epoxy primer, Montana cans for colors and most importantly spraymax 2k glossy clearcoat. 2 coats of primer (wet sanding between layers) and before paint,  1 base color metálic black, 1 layer of logos and effects in metálico gold , 1 layer of hollogram glitter effects, and three layers of 2k clearcoat with wetsanding and polish in the end.

For my first project came out a huge success. Very professional result. Will not buy a complete bike again from now on  8)

The ETEO-tutorial seems the way to do it. Any suggestions (or sources) to get your own decals printed/painted?
Thanks

saintrider

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2022, 05:46:56 AM »
In my case i have a cutting plotter (A sillouette CAMEO 3 - I bought as a gift to my wife for her cakes decoration) and i did all my stencils using illustrator and cut Oramask vynil.