Author Topic: Airwolf YFM-026 build notes  (Read 1750 times)

MtBikerBill

Airwolf YFM-026 build notes
« on: December 06, 2021, 09:35:14 AM »
Hello Fellow Chinertown denizens! I'm going to park my Airwolf YFM-026 build notes in this thread for those who might be interested.

Here are the facts so far:

Vendor: Aliexpress Airwolf
Frame: YFM026
Color ordered: Matte Dark Gray (one of their standard color options, not custom)
Frame Size: Medium
Order Date: 03 Nov 2021
Ship Date: 09 Nov 2021
Receive Date: 18 Nov 2021 (East Coast USA)

Package Details
-Wrapped well, no damage
- Included headset and PF30 bottom bracket - neither are installed
- all internal routing has plastic feeder lines installed and taped to assist with cable routing
- I also purchased handlebars and stem from them, which were in the box too

Customer Service
I had a few questions about shipping. They were VERY prompt and courteous. So far so good.

MtBikerBill

Re: Airwolf YFM-026 build notes
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 09:46:06 AM »
Headset and Fork Install

One issue I read before purchase was there was downtube interference with boost forks on this frame.
I have a medium frame and have paired it with a Fox 32 stepcast performance boost fork with lockout remote lever. A quick dry-fit assembly confirmed there is indeed interference with a medium frame and boost forks. The interference is oh-so close - I just barely skims by. But any contact is too much contact.

I ordered a Cane Creek (+3mm) crown race:
https://www.nashbar.com/cane-creek-40series-crown-race-black-steel-40mm-3mm-baa0855k/p-rqqqq2qaseqeyaa2

This did the trick quite well. Attached is a pic of the boost fork with new clearance.
The race included with the bike measured 3.88mm tall. The cane creek measures 8.0mm tall for reference.

The headset seems to be decent quality, so I used the rest of the headset and everything went together just fine.

MtBikerBill

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2021, 12:47:08 PM »
Internal Cable Routing
Not an exciting topic, but i'll cover it regardless.
Airwolf helpfully included "trace lines" that are taped off to facilitate easier internal cable routing.
This build needed the following internal routes:
  • Rear Derailleur
  • Rear Brake Caliper

No dropper post, no front derailleur

Rear Brake - Shimano SLX disc, BH-90 lines
Ran the line from the caliper end up to the lever
Tried taping the trace line to the brake line and pulling it through the frame. Even though it was only one layer of electrical tape wrap, this proved too thick to pass through the chainstay.
So I pulled out the trace line and force-fed the brake line through the chainstay - it just barely fit through. The chainstay necks down making cable routing really tight. Once through the chainstay the line routed above the bottom bracket shell and had a straight shot up the downtube. I used tweezers to fish the end of the line out of the port hole near the headtube.

Rear Derailleur - SRAM GX
There is a removable cover under the bottom bracket shell that is secured with a single screw. The cable ports for the rear mech have housing stops implying you should terminate the cable housing at the ports and only run the shift cable itself internally. I opted to drill out the stops in the port covers so the full shift cable would pass through. Starting at the BB access, I ran the shift cable up the downtube and to the shifter, then fished the other end down the chainstay to the rear mech. I didn't want the cable friction riding along the BB cable guide, so instead ran housing the full length.

jfcb

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 01:24:49 PM »
very informative. Were you able to weight the bare frame?

MtBikerBill

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2021, 03:20:46 PM »
very informative. Were you able to weight the bare frame?

I did not, though others have weighed theirs and found the actual to match claimed. I'm expecting this build to come in sub-21lbs. We'll see.

MtBikerBill

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2021, 02:31:26 PM »
Bottom Bracket, Cranks, Chainline

I installed an SRAM PF30 BB and Eagle GX 32t crankset.

The cups pressed in without issue. I pressed drive side first, then non-drive. After drive side was pressed, I put the spindle through and checked for concentricity with the shell. Pleased to say it *looked* spot on. I removed the spindle/crank and pressed the non-drive cup. The spindle fit straight through both bearings quite easily.

Cups were pressed in dry. I guess i'll see if there's any creaking.
I used the thicker 3mm spacer included with the cranks on the drive side and no spacer on the non-drive side. This yielded a 51mm chainline (49.5 + 1/2 thickness of 3mm chainring). I'll see how this chainline shifts and adjust if necessary.

All this to say, I don't have any concerns about the bottom bracket cranks install on this frame.