Author Topic: Groupset News  (Read 49307 times)

RDY

Re: Groupset News
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2022, 03:52:07 PM »
Totally unsourced conjecture, but there is speculation that the L-TWOO RX 2x12 shifters share the same Shimano 11s Road pull ratios with the R9 2x11 and GR9 1x11. This means that Shimano 11s Road RDs (incl. Tiagra 4700 10s) can potentially be turned into 12s with a pair of L-TWOO 12s shifters.

Hope they do this.  Shimano will be so mad.  And it will be delicious.

bamboo_mountain

« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2022, 05:05:23 PM »
I have finished my budget gravel bike build using the L-TWOO RX groupset, so far I am really impressed by it! Ignoring the obvious downside of thumb shifter positioning it is performing really well so far. I had to replace both front and rear cable pinch bolts which both sheared apart at ~4 NM, fortunately they just used a removable nut so it was an easy fix. I also am really impressed by the Zrace BR-005 brakes, they are easily comparable to my road bike which has 105 R7020 hydraulics albeit using 140 mm rotors (I am using 160 mm with the BR-005).

1Sigma

« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2022, 05:34:37 AM »
Totally unsourced conjecture, but there is speculation that the L-TWOO RX 2x12 shifters share the same Shimano 11s Road pull ratios with the R9 2x11 and GR9 1x11. This means that Shimano 11s Road RDs (incl. Tiagra 4700 10s) can potentially be turned into 12s with a pair of L-TWOO 12s shifters.

Sounds like Trace Velo’s next video  ;D

There's a new version of the SRX Pro rear derailleur in the works with improvements to the chain retention:

https://youtube.com/shorts/RsCjf7nYvsM?feature=share
That’s pretty cool. I was underwhelmed by the “clutch” on the first SRX
I wonder if they will fix the detent on the barrel adjuster too
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 05:37:39 AM by 1Sigma »
Better than average - Extra Average

StiffWeenies

« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2022, 02:03:58 PM »
Totally unsourced part 2: Decathlon is rumoured to be considering speccing their Triban bikes with L-TWOO hydraulic...

L-TWOO are already present in some Genesis bikes retailed by Walmart, but scoring Decathlon as an OEM customer would really catapult the brand into the next echelon of component supplier

RDY

« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2022, 02:48:35 PM »
Totally unsourced part 2: Decathlon is rumoured to be considering speccing their Triban bikes with L-TWOO hydraulic...

L-TWOO are already present in some Genesis bikes retailed by Walmart, but scoring Decathlon as an OEM customer would really catapult the brand into the next echelon of component supplier

That would be huge.  Especially given how much Decathlon are likely to push bikes and cycling in the next couple of years.

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2022, 08:13:49 AM »
What would that do to their pricing if it happens I wonder.

StiffWeenies

« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2022, 03:11:42 PM »
RX 2x12 carbon hydraulic left brifter weight

A L-TWOO employee recently posted a thread sharing some anecdotes on the company's hydraulic development process. It's too long and technical for me to properly translate but you can get a basic idea with machine translation. The gist is that L-TWOO faced some pretty significant patent barriers which limited their design direction. They eventually settled on a Campy style design for reasons practical and legal: the vertical master cylinder layout performed the best and also left the most room for the shifting mechanism. But most importantly, Campy didn't patent their hydraulic implementation!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 12:15:45 PM by StiffWeenies »

bamboo_mountain

« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2022, 06:57:45 AM »
It's really cool to see, but I was so surprised by how good mechanical brakes are getting after trying my Zrace BR-005 that I don't think bleeding and installing hydraulic brakes is worth it personally. I have installed 105 R7020 twice and both times ended up with mineral oil literally everywhere. I suppose if you have full internal routing it makes more sense.

cramy

« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2022, 08:46:56 AM »
great news, do we have an idea of the release date?

carbonazza

« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2022, 02:38:51 PM »
...I don't think bleeding and installing hydraulic brakes is worth it personally. I have installed 105 R7020 twice and both times ended up with mineral oil literally everywhere

A couple of bleeding more and I'm sure you'll do it without a drop on the bike or floor.
I'm happy there will be some price competition for hydro brakes.

RDY

« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2022, 11:08:36 AM »
But most importantly, Campy didn't patent their hydraulic implementation!

Probably because Magura designed their hydraulic setup originally, and I don't think they're a particularly litigious company.  Plus they've been around so long, they likely had prior art / patents for something similar longer ago than the duration of patents.

Crash217

« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2022, 02:05:12 PM »
I got a message on AliEx from the LTwoo store,  November release for their hydraulic brake RX groupset.

jcr

« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2022, 09:57:08 PM »
Looks like they have changed the shifter ergonomics!
http://www.ltwoo.com/en/pr.jsp?_jcp=3_568

bamboo_mountain

« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2022, 07:09:43 AM »
Does the model number for the shifters (ST-GR7020-L/R) possibly imply Shimano 105 compatibility?

Pedaldancer

« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2022, 10:24:58 AM »
Looks like they have changed the shifter ergonomics!
http://www.ltwoo.com/en/pr.jsp?_jcp=3_568

That looks nice on the hoods. Similar to Sram and Shimano 12x . (Although i like the 11 speed shifter shape more)