Author Topic: Groupset News  (Read 49320 times)

mirek100

Re: Groupset News
« Reply #300 on: October 16, 2023, 05:30:29 AM »
Damn those are huge.
I have the mechanical Sensah and would like to change only the shifters and calipers to upgrade to hydraulic.
But it seems the L-TWOO will be better option regarding to the size of shifters.

00Garza

« Reply #301 on: October 16, 2023, 09:13:45 AM »
I have some comparison photos here.

Wow. Supposedly the shifter throw was already kind of long with the mechanical shifters. Can't imagine with those hydro monstrosities.

FabioZang

« Reply #302 on: October 16, 2023, 10:26:51 AM »
Wow. Supposedly the shifter throw was already kind of long with the mechanical shifters. Can't imagine with those hydro monstrosities.
This is a photo I took at the Shanghai Bicycle Expo in May this year. You can refer to the shift lever throw in the picture.

jonathanf2

« Reply #303 on: October 16, 2023, 11:15:11 AM »
You all know that Shimano hydraulic shifters are also bigger than Shimano mechanical? My Shimano GRX and Ultegra hydraulic shifters look to be the same size compared to the mechanical shifters.

I wonder if Sensah will make hydraulic shifters for their Shimano compatible line-up? Also I wonder if they will make a carbon version?

jonathanf2

« Reply #304 on: October 16, 2023, 11:20:05 AM »
This is a photo I took at the Shanghai Bicycle Expo in May this year. You can refer to the shift lever throw in the picture.

It's nice to see all those metal mechanical components in the shift housing. From an engineering perspective, I definitely prefer Sensah's design approach compared to LTwoo.

Sebastian

« Reply #305 on: October 16, 2023, 11:36:23 AM »
It’s all very subjective. I’ve never been a fan of Shimano’s mechanical shifter designs and I find the mechanical hydros particularly hideous. Since Sensah practically copies the Shimano design, I’m not a fan of those either. I’m only talking about aesthetics, though. Also I have absolutely no issue whatsoever with LTWOO’s shifter ergonomics. Unsurprisingly - as I’ve been riding all kinds of Campagnolo groupsets for years. Whether or not it’s easy to operate the thumb paddle also largely depends on hand size and bar shape. I do agree however, that Shimano’s and Sram’s shifting mechanism is probably easier to deal with for a  bigger range of people than Campag/LTWOO.

FabioZang

« Reply #306 on: October 16, 2023, 08:28:41 PM »
Here is some news about eGR:

Currently, eGR has started small-scale tests in the pre-production and final stages, and it is expected to be available for sale in early next year (after the 2024 Chinese New Year).

I have some pictures of eGR from friends who have received the kit.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Cc4wmfB5XBxMcgTw7

The main focus is on comparing the weight with the GRT Mechanical Carbon Fiber Hydraulic Kit:
The eGR rear derailleur is 65g heavier than the GRT rear derailleur. The new version of the clamp has a more refined appearance and is 45g lighter per pair. The eGR shifter no longer has a gear mechanism, making it 52g lighter per pair. However, due to the additional weight of batteries and cables compared to the mechanical kit, it adds approximately 78g. Therefore, the eGR weighs about 50g more than the GRT carbon fiber overall, excluding the battery mount plug.

The eGR brake lever and rear derailleur housing are made of carbon fiber, while the rear derailleur guide plate is made of aluminum alloy.

Compared to eR9/eRX, the shape of the eGR brake lever is less outwardly extended, the button shape is larger, and the button travel has increased, resulting in a better feel. Apart from these changes, there are no significant differences.

Although the eGR left-hand side has buttons, it has been confirmed that it cannot control the same rear derailleur with two hands like SRAM. The buttons on the left side may be designed for electronic seat post adjustment (I'm not sure if this is accurate).

The eGR features a newly designed integrated clamp that is lighter in weight. However, due to Shimano's patents, there have been no improvements in the bleeding method.

PLA

« Reply #307 on: October 17, 2023, 12:13:11 PM »
Hopefully this time the electronics are more reliable than what you'd expect to find in a clapped out 1990s alfa romeo. Not holding my breath, though.

I'm staying away from that steaming pile of
It’s so clearly a LARP of an aero bike.

mirphak

« Reply #308 on: October 17, 2023, 01:35:18 PM »
What for me is very disappointing is the maximum cog it supports !!! I expected 50 or 52, but it is more like 45. Big mistake in my opinion, I literally jumped out of the boat

mirphak

« Reply #309 on: October 17, 2023, 02:09:10 PM »
From their youtube. With only 46t, it is not very interesting for me to be honest. I was hoping to be able to use a standard 10-50 or 10-51 mtb casette.

jonathanf2

« Reply #310 on: October 17, 2023, 02:28:23 PM »
From their youtube. With only 46t, it is not very interesting for me to be honest. I was hoping to be able to use a standard 10-50 or 10-51 mtb casette.

I'd be scared to run Ltwoo's electronic setup for gravel. You'd be screwed if you were riding in a remote area and your RD decides to stop shifting.

Ludo

« Reply #311 on: October 17, 2023, 02:40:00 PM »
Good’ol mechanical to the rescue, new L-Twoo TX. Honestly very nice finish, shifter click are crisp pour no load so it doesn’t mean much. Up 3 cogs on a push.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 02:42:32 PM by Ludo »

PLA

« Reply #312 on: October 17, 2023, 06:24:34 PM »
I'd be scared to run Ltwoo's electronic setup for gravel. You'd be screwed if you were riding in a remote area and your RD decides to stop shifting.

The way things are going for ltwoo, that seems likely, also. Shame.
It’s so clearly a LARP of an aero bike.

carbonazza

« Reply #313 on: October 20, 2023, 03:53:24 AM »
... I’ve been riding all kinds of Campagnolo groupsets for years...

I programmed my Campy EPS to work the SRAM way. Unfortunately, it doesn't support double-tap, so I still need the thumb paddles for the chainring. Even after 2-3 years, I sometimes hesitate between left or right  ::)

The SRAM approach, just one paddle per shifter, is the most intuitive to me.
Left for easier, right for harder.
Press both to toggle the chainring, which goes always the right direction since you want to change it.

It's the same for my MTB, where I use blips buttons for an AXS Eagle and the seatpost.

I really hope Sensah/LTWOO will allow for this kind of programming... and why not include blips!

raisinberry777

« Reply #314 on: October 20, 2023, 08:07:50 PM »
Sensah Team Pro 11 speed Shimano-compatible hydraulic shifters now available:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006148990399.html

Sensah also now selling all of their hydraulic shifters separately:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006137602599.html

Looks like there's been a small update to the Empire Pro shifters as well, they're now all black (rather than heaving the cheap-looking plastic silver piece).

I asked the Sensah rep on Twitter what the difference with the new gravel rear derailleur is, and he said:

"The new rear chain lifter is stronger, and the chain stability and speed change are enhanced"