Author Topic: OG Evkin BAIZE CF-056 (in 2x gravel form)  (Read 792 times)

RDY

OG Evkin BAIZE CF-056 (in 2x gravel form)
« on: September 28, 2023, 11:48:27 AM »
IMO this could be an excellent high tire clearance gravel frame with the addition of an FD mount and either a 100mm suspension fork or rigid alternative.  Reach isn't crazy long, head tube is relatively slack but not too far gone for rolling hardpack or tarmac, and nice steep STA (little steeper than most gravel frames) for the lung bursters.  Seat tube is just long enough.  It's also very light and generally speaking OG Evkin stuff is good quality and customer service also decent. 

https://ogevkinbike.com/products/og-evkin-cf-056-mtb-carbon-mountain-bike-frame

Oh and the custom paint jobs (which they usually don't show on AliExpress) look good.

They currently don't do one with an FD mount, but I asked them about one with compatibility for GRX 46/30 or similar, and they said they're considering it.  Potentially it would be better if they switched to PF30 or BSA73 though, as BB92 might cause crankset compatibility issues (too wide) as it does on the Salsa Cutthroat which is nominally GRX 2x compatible but can run a sum total of one RaceFace crankset for the purpose, which is heavy as balls, not very good and has poor quality proprietary BBs.

Hoping it happens.  It was a real disappointment when the Carbonda / Fly Bike 1306 lost its FD mount.  There are a bunch of Ti and steel monster-gravel bikes, but they tend to be very heavy if steel, and heavy and very expensive if Ti.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 11:51:02 AM by RDY »

TidyDinosaur

Re: OG Evkin BAIZE CF-056 (in 2x gravel form)
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2023, 01:41:46 PM »
I advice to stay far away from that brand...

http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,4344.0.html

They are a bunch of lying scammers that play with their customers once it comes to warranty. Not to be trusted!

RDY

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2023, 04:50:49 PM »
Sounds like things have gone badly wrong with them, then.  They were always really helpful with me and numerous acquaintances ... we bought lots of bars, seatposts and bottle cages.

Point still stands though .. it would be good to find a suitable replacement for a 2x 1306.

mirphak

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2023, 07:04:50 AM »
Lexon reverse? Even Shorter reach, higher stack, more vertical steerer tube.

I have had mine for about 2 years and it is a really nice frame. I currently use it with the zniino surly corner knock off h-bar, but I am really tempted to build a gravel out of it.

RDY

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2023, 04:56:25 AM »
Lexon reverse? Even Shorter reach, higher stack, more vertical steerer tube.

I have had mine for about 2 years and it is a really nice frame. I currently use it with the zniino surly corner knock off h-bar, but I am really tempted to build a gravel out of it.

Thanks for the suggestion.  2x, road width BB shell, 142 rear option and 2.4" clearance is great ... but the HTA and STA are not ideal.  Unless touring, I don't really see the point of having a big clearance gravel bike to complement my normal one if its geo is *less* rather than more progressive.  It won't be great for descending or climbing with that geo.  OG Evkin also do this frame, albeit they sell only the 148 option.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 05:47:43 AM by RDY »