Author Topic: Carbonda FM1001/1002 headset question  (Read 951 times)

FullCarbonAlchemist

Carbonda FM1001/1002 headset question
« on: December 28, 2021, 12:07:10 PM »
I’m placing an order for a 1002 and noticed that the included headset comes with what looks like a carbon plug instead of a regular star nut and top cap.

In my experience with Carbon steerer tubes, these can work themselves loose with hard riding and are a little heavy.

Can I just use a regular top cap and star nut with this headset or is the expanding plug required for some reason (I can’t imagine why)?

And while we’re at it, is there anything else I should know about this headset? The ~270-degree internal collar (with space for cables to be routed through even though I’m not getting the internal routing version and will just be using the head tube routing ports on the frame) is a little unusual…

cybrsrce

Re: Carbonda FM1001/1002 headset question
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 05:53:27 PM »
If your fork doesn't have a carbon steerer then skip the expanding plug.

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2021, 06:32:49 PM »
If your fork doesn't have a carbon steerer then skip the expanding plug.

That’s what I figured, but since this is my first experience with this type of 1.5in-to-1.5in headset I wondered if there was a specific reason they don’t include a star nut.

I guess you wouldn’t necessarily expect to get one with a regular headset either, and the top cap/bolt they include should be usable with both — though I’ve already got a custom engraved flat cap and bolt I’ll be using for this bike.

The ~270 degree internal metal collar seems to be there for use with the “through the headset” internal routing option and the cutout in it doesn’t serve any real purpose with the regular version but it does make me nervous that somehow the steerer is less securely supported at the top (a real concern for a hard charging 170/150 AM bike) so I might get a third party 1.5in headset anyway.

But I figured I should ask 1001/1002 owners about their experiences with the stock one in case there are any quirks I should be aware of.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 06:40:54 PM by FullCarbonAlchemist »

bossman302

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 12:35:50 AM »
You don't need to use the compression plug. You just just use a standard star nut if you are using an aluminum steerer. The headset itself is nothing special. Just install the crown race, bearings, upper race, cap, spaces, stem and torque everything to spec. Don't worry about the upper race and the cut cutout. There is plenty of material there. I've had zero issues with this headset and the compression plug on my FM1001. Hope that gives you some peace of mind.

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2021, 02:46:29 AM »
You don't need to use the compression plug. You just just use a standard star nut if you are using an aluminum steerer. The headset itself is nothing special. Just install the crown race, bearings, upper race, cap, spaces, stem and torque everything to spec. Don't worry about the upper race and the cut cutout. There is plenty of material there. I've had zero issues with this headset and the compression plug on my FM1001. Hope that gives you some peace of mind.

Exactly what I was hoping to hear, thank you!