Author Topic: Those with AM831 built, are you happy with it if not including flexing issue?  (Read 4850 times)

deucelee

I've got til today to return it back or not so I'm pondering it.  If I keep it, I will be doing JJJ's fix.

It's also a tad too large for me.  It's Heidei's "small" frame but their small frame is eqivalent to most other manufacturer's (i.e. Santa Cruz) size medium.  I need the actual small frame.

Just checking to see if you guys are actually enjoying the frame or is it just "meh, it's alright but nothing that special". 

Thanks!

cybrsrce

I can't say I love it but that isn't all the AM831's fault, I would have the same riding issues with a Hightower.  It is the bike that I pick first even when I know it is going to be way more bike than I need, so I guess I like it a lot?  Either that or I don't like my other bikes, haven't decided.

Geometry is good, suspension platform is good, ride is pretty good, it definitely gets looks on the trail, but all around just good.

If you're asking this question you should probably return it or try to sell it, there is a high probability it will never feel right even if you do find a way to shorten it up a little.

brex

Send it back. If you want this poorly designed frame, place a new order for the size you actually need and also get the better version.

darius72

I am very happy; I have a very light bike with 831 and good performer downhill; I haven't used it much due to winter season but I am in love. Of course there are big problems with this frame that can be considered as defective from design; mine doesn't flex (yet) but the JJJ fix is a must.
Haideli approach to the problem is at least questionable

scourge

I hope the flexing is curable, but other than that I love mine. It's lighter than all my other recent bikes, and that's noticeable going up hills. And I am not noticing any real bobbing going uphill. It just chugs along, and I don't seem as tired when I hit the top.  Seems to have great traction for techy uphills also. Basically, I'm not noticing any drawbacks with the long travel when comparing it to my shorter travel bikes. I'd rather just grab this bike to ride than my 125mm bike.

But I really want the rear end tightened up. The 3d printed shims helped a ton, and hopefully JJJ's fix will totally fix it.

Snacks

Realistically,  anyone who can return it should. There is no reason to accept this over the one with the new rear triangle if you don't have to.

scourge

Who can return it? Did I !miss something on us being able to return it?

Snacks

Who can return it? Did I !miss something on us being able to return it?

No. Maybe?

It's anyone who purchased within the last 6.months if you paid through PayPal since you still.have their protection .

deucelee

Realistically,  anyone who can return it should. There is no reason to accept this over the one with the new rear triangle if you don't have to.

It's anyone who purchased within the last 6.months if you paid through PayPal since you still.have their protection .

That's a great point bro.  I ordered it Nov 7th.  I filed a Dispute earlier in December and Paypal gave me until 12/31 to return it.  Since it's still within the 6 months, I will ask for a extension.  To your point, if you can still return it, even if you're out $100 to return the blasted thing, prob better to do that and get the new triangle on the new model.

I do have a 15yr old son that's 5'8" so I could give it to him if it's truly too big for me.  I'm only 5'4".

emu26

No way you are going to be out $100. I don't think, but don't know for sure, that Paypal will refund your original shipping fees but I would be amazed if you are able to ship it back for anywhere near what you paid to have it shipped to you. Have you seen the cost of shipping lately?  For anyone contemplating shipping it back, my advice would be to remove the rear triangle and see if you can pack it into the front triangle, well wrapped to avoid damage of course.  This will reduce the size of the overall package and therefore the cost. Bulky light packages pay a premium fee.

Ok. I have been reluctant to comment on any of these threads re this frame as I didn't get one but now that I have I may as well say what has been on my mind.  I think you are all being shafted and I am very disappointed with the attitude from Haidelli being conveyed through Eddie.  These issues are clear indications that they do not test their bikes in the real world, just stick them on machines to tick boxes on strength / durability. To be expected to pay for a replacement rear is unbelievable. I know it would be great expense to the company but it is one that could be borne over a period of time, from an accounting point of view at least. To add insult to injury there have been a number of instances where what has been conveyed would appear to be far from reality. "The problem is fixed and all frames will ship with the new rear end" and yet there has been more than one instance here of people ordering frames post that comment and receiving frames with issues.  I know we all gamble when we purchase frames direct, particularly new designs, but the way these issues have been handled leave a lot to be desired and would certainly cross Haidelli off any list of companies I would buy from. One off issues of cracked frames will always be a contentious issue between user and seller as to crash damage or warranty defect but this is not that. This has been an issue for many and has played out for all to see. I would suggest the long term damage to their reputation would cost a hell of a lot more than the cost of replacing a couple of hundred rear triangles.  To think others here are talking about lining up to buy their new frame is beyond belief to me.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 03:00:02 PM by emu26 »

deucelee

No way you are going to be out $100. I don't think, but don't know for sure, that Paypal will refund your original shipping fees but I would be amazed if you are able to ship it back for anywhere near what you paid to have it shipped to you. Have you seen the cost of shipping lately?  For anyone contemplating shipping it back, my advice would be to remove the rear triangle and see if you can pack it into the front triangle, well wrapped to avoid damage of course.  This will reduce the size of the overall package and therefore the cost. Bulky light packages pay a premium fee.

Ok. I have been reluctant to comment on any of these threads re this frame as I didn't get one but now that I have I may as well say what has been on my mind.  I think you are all being shafted and I am very disappointed with the attitude from Haidelli being conveyed through Eddie.  These issues are clear indications that they do not test their bikes in the real world, just stick them on machines to tick boxes on strength / durability. To be expected to pay for a replacement rear is unbelievable. I know it would be great expense to the company but it is one that could be borne over a period of time, from an accounting point of view at least. To add insult to injury there have been a number of instances where what has been conveyed would appear to be far from reality. "The problem is fixed and all frames will ship with the new rear end" and yet there has been more than one instance here of people ordering frames post that comment and receiving frames with issues.  I know we all gamble when we purchase frames direct, particularly new designs, but the way these issues have been handled leave a lot to be desired and would certainly cross Haidelli off any list of companies I would buy from. One off issues of cracked frames will always be a contentious issue between user and seller as to crash damage or warranty defect but this is not that. This has been an issue for many and has played out for all to see. I would suggest the long term damage to their reputation would cost a hell of a lot more than the cost of replacing a couple of hundred rear triangles.  To think others here are talking about lining up to buy their new frame is beyond belief to me.

Nope, unfortunately paypal only gives you some crap like 30% or something like that, up to $30 tops.  A bunch of horse crap.  And I completely agree with you.  The crisis management from Heidei is some of the worst crap out there that you can learn from any business class. Def makes you wonder what would happen if a warranty situation did need to be taken cared of. I got a message out to paypal so we'll see what they say.

JJJ

I think you are all being shafted and I am very disappointed with the attitude from Haidelli being conveyed through Eddie.  These issues are clear indications that they do not test their bikes in the real world, just stick them on machines to tick boxes on strength / durability. To be expected to pay for a replacement rear is unbelievable. I know it would be great expense to the company but it is one that could be borne over a period of time, from an accounting point of view at least.

Let's not forget that we are buying frames at less than a third of the price of "reputable" brands, from a remote end of the world that does not always have good reputation. Unless we are completely naive, we know that we are gambling. If it's too good to be true, it may well be. I purchased mine with this in mind, and don't expect any warranty. Moreover, there are several manufacturers using the same mold, and not only Haideli is in question. I bought mine from Winow Cycles, and their attitude is no better.

Otherwise, I'm pretty impressed by how the bike rides. The flexing issue does not impact me yet, as long as the press-fit of the bearings holds, but I'm not very heavy and I don't make my bike slide from side to side like cybrsrce.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 02:02:38 PM by JJJ »

cybrsrce

Let's not forget that we are buying frames at less than a third of the price of "reputable" brands, from a remote end of the world that does not always have good reputation. Unless we are completely naive, we know that we are gambling. If it's too good to be true, it may well be. I purchased mine with this in mind, and don't expect any warranty. Moreover, there are several manufacturers using the same mold, and not only Haideli is in question. I bought mine from Winow Cycles, and their attitude is no better.

The AM831 is my 9th Chinese direct frame out of 10 (a mix of mountain, gravel, and road) and they have all be acceptable, even the AM831.  Some take a little work to get right, you just need to look around the forum for the guys with the Stumpy clones to see that it isn't just this frame.  My previous frame used to eat shock bolts and pivot bearings, but so do many name brand backed Chinese frames...

Not one of my frame "issues" was handled by a seller and most of the time it was just asking to purchase spare parts.  So I agree with JJJ, was cautiously optimistic and was able to get them to a working condition.   

Otherwise, I'm pretty impressed by how the bike rides. The flexing issue does not impact me yet, as long as the press-fit of the bearings holds, but I'm not very heavy and I don't make my bike slide from side to side like cybrsrce.

I do believe your update is going to make this frame work perfectly for most riders.  I am built and ride like a gorilla, the name on my frame is actually an old riding nickname :)

darius72

I 100% agree; the behaviour of Haideli is very chinese, when the problems come to surface they try to avoid direct confrontation. I also didn't expect any warranty, and even if they would offer a real warranty, it could cost over 200$ in shipping and maybe 3 months transit time. I was aware of this when I bought the frame and I knew that a new model (even on reputable brands) brings more problems. I just was hoping they made a carbon copy of Santa Cruz, but it's not the case unfortunately.
I have no big flex yet, and I hope the JJJ fix will sort the problem forever; let's keep the community updated if any other issues come afloat.

Maffly

I have gotten my frame to an acceptable level of flex with the nylon bushings in place. Certainly has a different ride feel than my YT Jeffsy but not necessarily bad. I do tend to slide the rear end a bit and am probably about average weight at 180lbs. After about 70 trail miles the bushings seem to be fine and the bolts are not loosening (lots of Locktight).  Almost every other pivot on this frame has come loose. They all need to be locktighted and tightened. I also think they just slapped some torque spec numbers on this thing. Did a company that designed that clearly flawed pivot really determine all of the proper torque specs?  I think not. I am torquing by feel.

With all of that said, I would not buy this frame unless people get the new version and it has no issues (far from a sure thing) no matter what they say. Let others test it out and read about it here. They are trying to sell frames and will straight up lie to you in order to get it out the door. I am hopeful that the JJJ bearing fix is going to make this frame work, but JJJs don’t come along every day!