Author Topic: Hey pals, I gots BUILD QUESTIONS  (Read 632 times)

TheRealCFiddy

Hey pals, I gots BUILD QUESTIONS
« on: January 02, 2022, 08:38:08 AM »
Woooo!!! I ordered an air wolf stumpjumper type bike. STOKED to finally get onto a f/s bike. Already built up a rigid air wolf version of the Santa Cruz highball frame which was and continues to be pretty Sweet.

So obviously, I've built up a bike before so I am good on building a rigid bike but the new one is going to be a bit different circumstances so a few questions

Tha FORK: does the crown race come with the headset? The rigid I built was an old fork with a str8 steerer chewb (tube) so I had to buy a specific crown race to make it fit the tapered head tube on da frame. So that's why I don't know the answer to this question.

Also in da fork : yo, is all 150mm travel forks the same height? Is that really the only thing I need to look at when buying a fork? I want a tapered steerer on it so no adaptor, but anything else I need to factor in? It's gonna be a boost fork yo

THE SHAWK: yo, the frame just specifies 2 measurements for the rear shock. something like 200-55mm . Is that the only thing I need to make sure I get in the rear shock?

CRANX: yo it's a boost frame. I think I saw something that said boost spacing requires wider cranks or something? Also it's a BSA68 bottom bracket, what size cranks do I need? The first bike I bought had a pf30 bottom bracket so I ordered a crankset that said pf30 on it, and it didn't fit. So what qualities will I need to look for in a crankset to make sure they work?

Yo the wheels: hey what do I need to look for in wheels? Will any old 148mm thru axle wheel work for me? And as far as far cassette, can I just get any old 11 speed cassette? Would it need to be boost specific?

Yo dog if you got any other tips, recommendations, etc please let me know or whatever.

Thanks, one love

cybrsrce

Re: Hey pals, I gots BUILD QUESTIONS
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2022, 09:55:41 AM »
Tha FORK: does the crown race come with the headset? The rigid I built was an old fork with a str8 steerer chewb (tube) so I had to buy a specific crown race to make it fit the tapered head tube on da frame. So that's why I don't know the answer to this question.
It will likely come with a 1.5in split race.  Not the best but it'll work with any tapered fork.

Also in da fork : yo, is all 150mm travel forks the same height? Is that really the only thing I need to look at when buying a fork? I want a tapered steerer on it so no adaptor, but anything else I need to factor in? It's gonna be a boost fork yo
They're all over the place.  Here is Rockshox 2021 line up with the axle to crown heights starting on page 14 - https://www.sram.com/globalassets/document-hierarchy/service-manuals/rockshox/front-suspension/gen.0000000006216-rev-a-2021-fs-oil-air-coil-token-spec-english.pdf
The frame uses 560mm as a base, probably what they engineered around.  You can likely use something between 540-580mm without making it ride like shit.

THE SHAWK: yo, the frame just specifies 2 measurements for the rear shock. something like 200-55mm . Is that the only thing I need to make sure I get in the rear shock?
Yeah, they'll dictate the rear travel.  Obviously the bigger the eye to eye measurement the more rear travel there will be.  You can pretty much use any air or coil that is 190x40, 210x50, 210x52.5, or 210x55 as long as they have standard eyelets.  It doesn't seem to mention bushing size for the front (or rear) so check the rest of the forum for that info.

CRANX: yo it's a boost frame. I think I saw something that said boost spacing requires wider cranks or something? Also it's a BSA68 bottom bracket, what size cranks do I need? The first bike I bought had a pf30 bottom bracket so I ordered a crankset that said pf30 on it, and it didn't fit. So what qualities will I need to look for in a crankset to make sure they work?
You'll need an English threaded bottom bracket that is BSA 68/73 for whatever boost crankset you want to buy.  So a Shimano SLX FC-M7120 boost crankset would need a BB-MT800 threaded Hollowtech II BB.  SRAM and others will have their own crank standards and matching BB.  Aliexpress brands, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ just make sure you read a lot if it isn't included.

Yo the wheels: hey what do I need to look for in wheels? Will any old 148mm thru axle wheel work for me? And as far as far cassette, can I just get any old 11 speed cassette? Would it need to be boost specific?
I would say any old 148mm will do the job.  Anything made in the last few years can do 11/12 speed no problem just pay attention to the driver.  "Any old 11 speed cassette" is going to be a Shimano HG freehub - XD and Microspline are going to require different cassettes.  Cassettes are freehub specific so you don't have to worry about the wheel standard getting in the way.

Yo dog if you got any other tips, recommendations, etc please let me know or whatever.
You're a mad lad, enjoy your build!

TheRealCFiddy

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2022, 04:13:26 PM »
Thanks for the reply I appreciate you

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2022, 04:21:28 PM »
Don’t be afraid to go with a slightly longer fork if you need to. Getting the recommended A2C exactly right isn’t critical. I pretty much always over-fork my bikes by 10-20mm to increase the BB height and shorten reach.

You have to get down to head angles like 61-62deg before handling gets really floppy.