Author Topic: Chinese forks  (Read 3068 times)

Icyseanfitz

Chinese forks
« on: January 06, 2022, 06:28:09 AM »
Hey guys, I've decided to do a full Chinese build with a highball clone I got last year and haven't built up yet. Has anyone tried any 120/130mm Chinese forks (ztto, bolaney, himalo) that are anybit decent? Obviously im not expecting anything near fox or rockshox but I'm curious.

Have a set suntour raidons (€ 123,18  30%OFF | Suntour 2017 Raidon Fork 32mm 27.5 Wire-controlled 2018 RAIDON 34BOOST Fork 29 Shoulder-controlled tapered barrel shaft 15x110mm
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0mGDoY)  on Ali basket for good money which are probably the safer bet but I like trying weird parts

00Garza

Re: Chinese forks
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 09:07:27 PM »
Wouldn't bother with chinese forks if I were you. There is a guy on youtube (Wolftick Videos) who does reviews on them. The Epixon/Raidons you find on Aliexpress or ebay are much safer bets.

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 11:15:53 PM »
IMO suspension is one of the areas you should be most cautious about cutting corners.

A midrange Suntour is pretty much the best value out there. I’d make sure to get one of their spring backed IFP models (like the Auron or Durolux), but pretty much anything above the XC32 level is going to hugely outperform any of those generic forks and be much more reliable/safer out on the trail.

With a lot of those other forks, if you blow them out — and it’s a distinct possibility that you will — that’s pretty much all she wrote. The vast majority of LBSes can’t or won’t work on them.

tripleDot

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 01:47:07 PM »
Of the 3 forks mentioned (Ztto, Bolany & Himalo), I've only seen Bolany locally. Lots of folks in the local scene have posted pictures & videos of Bolany breaking. Not crack or bent/dent but literally break into pieces. A couple were even on their maiden rides. And a lot of those aren't even aggressive riding.
July 2020 - Custom Waltly Ti 29er
Nov 2018 - Custom Waltly Ti Gravel
Apr 2018 - CS-496 29x3.0 - stripped
Feb 2018 - CS-RB01 (SS Road)
Sep 2016 - CS-RB01 (road sold)
Jun 2016 - Chinese CF XC - stripped
Mar 2016 - Haro Projekt (sold)
Feb 2008 - Jamis Durango 29 (sold)
Mar 2001 - Scott Scale (sold)

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 01:00:13 PM »
Pity as the Chinese have decent alternatives to just about every other component, can't fathom that they haven't cracked a half decent fork.

00Garza

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 01:55:19 PM »
Pity as the Chinese have decent alternatives to just about every other component, can't fathom that they haven't cracked a half decent fork.

I'm still waiting for decent chinese hydro brakes and a derailleur with an actual clutch.  :-\

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 06:10:20 PM »
I think there are a few 12sp derailleurs with clutches the last time looked, maybe the sensah stuff? I've a Chinese 12sp drivetrain (can't exactly remember what) on my hardtail for the last year and it really isn't bad.
As for brakes I'm going to try a set these ztto 4 pots to see if there any good
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrQ0r3w

Schumo

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 03:39:50 PM »

Most chinese carbon and aluminium parts are fine, but most of their mechanical stuff is lowest end big brand stuff at a lower price point at best imo. 

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2022, 06:44:23 PM »
After taking a chance on a bolany boost 100mm fork for an xc build (no jumps or drops) as it's weight is quite impressive (1800g or so), for just under 130euro. Most likely pure shit but it's worth a shot on a bike that will only be used for longer less demanding rides.
First thing I'll do though is dismantle it and grease the inners (I'd assume no point putting oil in the lowers as it won't hold

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2022, 07:53:15 AM »
After taking a chance on a bolany boost 100mm fork for an xc build (no jumps or drops) as it's weight is quite impressive (1800g or so), for just under 130euro. Most likely pure shit but it's worth a shot on a bike that will only be used for longer less demanding rides.
First thing I'll do though is dismantle it and grease the inners (I'd assume no point putting oil in the lowers as it won't hold

Any feedback?

cst_jpr

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2022, 03:01:07 PM »
Garbage

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2022, 03:21:01 PM »
Any feedback?

I haven't done huge milage, only around 150km, every adjustment still works and it hasn't killed me yet, it's definitely not as plush as it was day one, that's probably down to the lack of proper wiper seals. I suppose I need more time on it to really get a grasp of how reliable it is. But even if you got 1 good season out of it you could just buy another for the price of a fork service.

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2022, 03:28:51 PM »
Garbage

Except he doesn't say it's garbage, Seth actually says he's quite impressed by it, it's only that like me he noticed a certain amount of degradation in performance after riding. I'll pull mine apart at around 500km just to take a good look at it.

cst_jpr

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2022, 03:41:09 PM »
Except he doesn't say it's garbage, Seth actually says he's quite impressed by it, it's only that like me he noticed a certain amount of degradation in performance after riding. I'll pull mine apart at around 500km just to take a good look at it.

Don't really care, its not worth risking your life over.

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2022, 04:10:37 PM »
Don't really care, its not worth risking your life over.

I mean isn't that kind of the risk with just about anything we talk about on this forum