Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-099 Build Questions  (Read 1605 times)

J-S-Q

Velobuild VB-R-099 Build Questions
« on: January 08, 2022, 05:36:58 AM »
I recently received a VB-R-099 frame and wheel set from Velobuild. I'm sure I'll have some questions as I get into the build but here's one for now...

This is my first time using tubeless tyres. The front tyre went on quite easily. The rear was more of a struggle but after several attempts and the use of some soapy water, I got the tyre mounted using only a track pump. However, when I deflate it, it will become unseated from the rim (it will re-inflate easily and appear to be well seated although I don't get the 'pop' sound). Both tyres lose pressure over several hours but I'm assuming this will be solved after I add sealant. I've tried leaving the tyre inflated at 100psi for 24 hours and it still becomes unseated when I deflate it.

Is this a problem? Or should I just get on and add the sealant without worrying about it?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 05:38:33 AM by J-S-Q »

Gliderboy

Re: Velobuild VB-R-099 Build Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 11:47:50 AM »
I´m by no means expert on the subject, but all my tubeless wheels leak, be it "chiners" or branded ones.
I check my tyre pressure before every ride anyway, so it´s not a issue.

/Jan
Fully MTB IP-036 in 2016 - Gravel GR-002 in 2021

J-S-Q

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 04:51:20 PM »
I´m by no means expert on the subject, but all my tubeless wheels leak, be it "chiners" or branded ones.
I check my tyre pressure before every ride anyway, so it´s not a issue.

/Jan

It's not the pressure drop that I'm concerned about - more the fact that the tyre partially unseats from the rim when I deflate the tyre.

zaphodbeeblebrox

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 07:33:05 PM »
It should be fine. The velobuild set of wheels I have also don't hold air without sealant. But I bet it's more a questionable tape job than the rim itself.

Zoc

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 02:49:45 AM »
i mounted tubeless on velobuild rims, i changed the tape, front worked fine
rear didn't, was an old tire
after checking in a water bath i knew that the tape worked find but, the tire didn't
i used Schwalbe milk which is very thin, milkit or mucoff definitly works better,
i switched to a new TLR tire and no problems

J-S-Q

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 04:21:54 AM »
Well I added some sealant and they're definitely holding pressure now so I guess it will be ok.

Now onto another question...

Anyone else who has built an 099 (or something similar), how have you handled the front derailleur cable? The frame has a fitting on the down tube to house the cable outer, leaving just the shifter cable to exit the frame. I'm a bit worried to use this because if the outer ever comes loose from the fitting I would have to remove the bottom bracket to fix the problem.

The alternative is to get rid of the fitting and just run the cable outer all the way to the derailleur. I'm just a bit concerned that there isn't that much clearance and it could rub against the tire (I have 32C's fitted).

Here are some photos so you can see the setup...

« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 06:46:31 AM by J-S-Q »

Drarak

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 05:58:06 AM »

Anyone else who has built an 099 (or something similar), how have you handled the rear derailleur cable? The frame has a fitting on the down tube to house the cable outer, leaving just the shifter cable to exit the frame. I'm a bit worried to use this because if the outer ever comes loose from the fitting I would have to remove the bottom bracket to fix the problem.

I think you meant the front derailleur. I route the outer cable through the bottom of the bottom bracket. This puts the cable into a steep angle and ending in the housing cap. That steep angle actually provides a lot of pressure to hold the outer cable in place,provided your outer cable is long enough and not very compressible. See the attached image. Green is the outer cable and red is the BB hole.

rank1

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2022, 06:17:36 AM »
more the fact that the tyre partially unseats from the rim when I deflate the tyre.

When you inflated the tyres, did you hear the pops from the tyre beads sitting in the rim? I used a compressor to inflate mine and that was nerve racking when you first hear the pop for the first time.

I had a couple of issues with mine, but that was due to a rookie mistake and easily fixed.

1. Not enough rim tape. One tyre had one revolution of rim tape and had no issues, but the other one did so I just doubled up on both and it's been solid since.

From the attachment below, it looks like you got a matte black frame? Hope you have fun with the build!

J-S-Q

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2022, 06:49:59 AM »
I think you meant the front derailleur. I route the outer cable through the bottom of the bottom bracket. This puts the cable into a steep angle and ending in the housing cap. That steep angle actually provides a lot of pressure to hold the outer cable in place,provided your outer cable is long enough and not very compressible. See the attached image. Green is the outer cable and red is the BB hole.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did mean the front derailleur (edited my post!). I see your point about cable routing creating the pressure to keep it in place. I think that is the route I will go. Glad to have some confirmation before I go ahead and cut that cable outer.  ;D

J-S-Q

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2022, 06:53:20 AM »
When you inflated the tyres, did you hear the pops from the tyre beads sitting in the rim? I used a compressor to inflate mine and that was nerve racking when you first hear the pop for the first time.

I had a couple of issues with mine, but that was due to a rookie mistake and easily fixed.

1. Not enough rim tape. One tyre had one revolution of rim tape and had no issues, but the other one did so I just doubled up on both and it's been solid since.

From the attachment below, it looks like you got a matte black frame? Hope you have fun with the build!

The front wheel gave very obvious pops, the rear wheel not so much -just one hint of not very loud pop! I actually had to add a second layer of tape to get the rear tyre to seat.

Yes, it's a UD Matte finish. Hopefully will be going for a test ride at the weekend if I can just source some Shimano mineral oil or the brakes.

Velovelo

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2022, 09:31:46 AM »
Well I added some sealant and they're definitely holding pressure now so I guess it will be ok.

Now onto another question...

Anyone else who has built an 099 (or something similar), how have you handled the front derailleur cable? The frame has a fitting on the down tube to house the cable outer, leaving just the shifter cable to exit the frame. I'm a bit worried to use this because if the outer ever comes loose from the fitting I would have to remove the bottom bracket to fix the problem.

The alternative is to get rid of the fitting and just run the cable outer all the way to the derailleur. I'm just a bit concerned that there isn't that much clearance and it could rub against the tire (I have 32C's fitted).

Here are some photos so you can see the setup...

Hi, attached here is a picture of how I did mine.
"pic.jpg" is my current setup. I got the port thing from an old frame but it doesn't flush nicely with this particular hole of the frame.
"pic2.jpg is an example of what I will buy in the future from Aliexpress to replace it. 

I run a 28c tire and it doesn't rub against the cable housing.

All the best with your build :)

J-S-Q

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2022, 11:50:05 AM »
Hi, attached here is a picture of how I did mine.
"pic.jpg" is my current setup. I got the port thing from an old frame but it doesn't flush nicely with this particular hole of the frame.
"pic2.jpg is an example of what I will buy in the future from Aliexpress to replace it. 

I run a 28c tire and it doesn't rub against the cable housing.

All the best with your build :)

Thanks for the info. I actually went ahead and cut the cable outer after Drarak's post above so I'm going for the 'exposed cable' method. Looks like it should work nicely.