Author Topic: Koozer custom wheelset  (Read 3766 times)

Icyseanfitz

Koozer custom wheelset
« on: January 19, 2022, 05:28:33 AM »
Just after buying a set of koozer wheels custom built for €175 on Ali, probably take a while to get here but the service so far has been amazing. I got them built up with koozer boost 390 hubs (6 pawl, 72 engagement), 29inch sun Duroc 40 rims (36id) and 2 oil slick spokes per wheel with a microspline freehub. If these turn out good I'll buying a lot more from these guys. Super quick to reply and everything I asked for was given. Even sent me pictures before shipping to ensure it was what I wanted.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrWPaVw

Snacks

Re: Koozer custom wheelset
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 08:41:19 AM »
Those look nice! I ordered a pair of the oil slick dt swiss clones but I'm thinking I should just sell those and buy the full wheelset if theyre that cheap. I'm assuming that price is without shipping since it's so low

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 08:50:34 AM »
Nope with free shipping, I think the vat was removed though so I'll probably get caught for import duty, but at a total of 175 the duty won't be too much hopefully

Snacks

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 09:33:33 AM »
Wow what a deal! I'm ordering a pair right now

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 09:52:05 AM »
Fair warning I've not had these in the hands yet so can't attest to the quality of the spokes/hubs/build etc. Just that the value seems amazing, the rims are a known brand and to modern standards. And the service from ordering and all the personal touches I asked for was amazing.
My biggest concern would be the quality of the the freehub internals but from the reviews I've seen they seem decent.

00Garza

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 04:25:56 PM »
The XM490 hub has a pretty good reputation. I'd suggest opening up the hubs and make sure they're lubed well upon arrival. The no name spokes are a point of concern. Have the spoke tension checked before hitting the trails. I'd do that with any wheelset tbh.

For the price, I hope you get at least a solid season or two of riding or a couple thousand miles...depending on how much you ride.

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 05:53:21 PM »
I've always wondered what lube to put in a freehub, I find standard park tools lithium grease (that I use for nearly everything bike related) too thick and it gunks up the springs. Just put a very light coat of it? Or something else? I'm hoping these wheels will be good, and the reputation of the hubs and rims has me optimistic, fact that they are using brass nipples is also a plus imo, really just leaves the spokes which you would assume can't go too wrong if the wheel is built right, and again with the service I received (customisation and double checking) I am optimistic.

emu26

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 08:48:15 PM »
"This product can't be shipped to your country"

Shame.

Big fan of the Duroc rims, a little concerned / confused with the hub description of boost 141/148

00Garza

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2022, 09:39:14 PM »
Gear oil seems to be whats recommended for hubs.
Phil Wood Tenacious Oil
Dumonde Tech Freehub oil

cybrsrce

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2022, 01:09:35 PM »
"This product can't be shipped to your country"

Shame.

Big fan of the Duroc rims, a little concerned / confused with the hub description of boost 141/148

141 is QR boost, I had a Giant Stance with it.  Super glad it didn't really catch on.

I wanted to check these out but the store is already closed for the holiday :(

emu26

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2022, 02:24:58 PM »
141 is QR boost, I had a Giant Stance with it.  Super glad it didn't really catch on.

I wanted to check these out but the store is already closed for the holiday :(

Well I completely missed that "standard".  Remember when there actually was standards across most manufacturers?

Anyway, that still leaves me curious. I assume they then use spacers to get from 141mm to 148mm if you need the "standard" boost?  That kind of defeats the purpose of having boost as the flanges are still narrower.

cybrsrce

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2022, 03:32:25 PM »
Well I completely missed that "standard".  Remember when there actually was standards across most manufacturers?

Anyway, that still leaves me curious. I assume they then use spacers to get from 141mm to 148mm if you need the "standard" boost?  That kind of defeats the purpose of having boost as the flanges are still narrower.

Ha, standards!  It is just like the hubs that can change end caps to go from 135QR to 142TA, you just have 141QR to 148TA.  I think my Stance was a 2016?  So kudos to them for even having 141QR as an option.

scourge

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2022, 05:28:21 PM »
Anyone know when their store will be back up? And anyone know if they can make super boost wheelsets?

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2022, 06:20:27 PM »
Anyone know when their store will be back up? And anyone know if they can make super boost wheelsets?

If Koozer hubs are available in Super Boost, I’ve never seen one anywhere.

Zomb1e

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2022, 02:53:22 AM »
Just FYI: now I'm building quite similar wheelset instead of buying finished product. I'm using Duroc 30 rims, ARC mt009 hubs (they are boost and have nearly the same weight as Koozer 390, but a bit cheaper), Sapim D-light spokes and CN alu nipples. All parts were bought on Ali (with coupons of course) and total cost is about €195 including work of wheelbuilder. Total weight of wheelset (without rim tape and tubeless valves) will be about 1760 grams.