Author Topic: Questions about disc brakes  (Read 1117 times)

cm8181

Questions about disc brakes
« on: February 01, 2022, 05:34:45 AM »
Hello together,
I have been reading the forum for some time now.
I have now decided to build myself a new road bike.
I have chosen the Velobuild R 168 as my frame. Now I'm planning the rest of the components.
I would also like to use Chinese components. There are plenty of gears etc. to buy on Aliexpress. What I'm missing, however, is a way to mount hydraulic disc brakes.
The only disc brakes I've been able to find so far are those that are operated by cable.
Are there really no purely hydraulic ones, or have I just not found them yet?
It would be nice if you could give me some help here.
Regards
Christian

Velovelo

Re: Questions about disc brakes
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2022, 06:14:17 AM »
These videos by Trace Velo will help with your research.

J-S-Q

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2022, 07:20:49 AM »
Hello together,
I have been reading the forum for some time now.
I have now decided to build myself a new road bike.
I have chosen the Velobuild R 168 as my frame. Now I'm planning the rest of the components.
I would also like to use Chinese components. There are plenty of gears etc. to buy on Aliexpress. What I'm missing, however, is a way to mount hydraulic disc brakes.
The only disc brakes I've been able to find so far are those that are operated by cable.
Are there really no purely hydraulic ones, or have I just not found them yet?
It would be nice if you could give me some help here.
Regards
Christian

As far as I'm aware, the only way to have full hydraulics is with the major brands - Shimano/SRAM/Campagnolo. Personally I think one of the best things about disc brakes is the feel that you get from hydraulics. Cable discs are still good but I think you're losing some of the advantage if you go this route. If you want to keep costs down, it might be worth considering Shimano RS505 hydraulic brakes/levers (sort of previous generation 105 brakes). You can pick them up reasonably cheaply and although they get mixed reviews, they're great in my opinion.

cm8181

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2022, 07:41:21 AM »
Thanks for the repys so far. I will watch the Vids today in the evening.
At first it is not about the costs, ist about the thing to build a Bike not using any Parts from the big brands.

StiffWeenies

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2022, 09:49:18 AM »
Thanks for the repys so far. I will watch the Vids today in the evening.
At first it is not about the costs, ist about the thing to build a Bike not using any Parts from the big brands.

There are no Chinese hydraulic brifters and flat mount calipers currently on the market so you have no choice but to source those parts from a big brand. If you're willing to give hydromechanical a shot, there are some promising options on the market. Just make sure you pair it with good quality compressionless cables as that's what makes or breaks mechanical and hydromechanical braking performance.

Unfortunately, there are no credible reviews of these products apart from the Juin.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 01:17:03 PM by StiffWeenies »

cm8181

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2022, 04:20:58 AM »
Thanks for the replies, I think I will give mechanical braking a chance.
Now it is still to determine the right frame size for me.

cm8181

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2022, 02:13:07 AM »
Thanks again for the information.
I just ordered a Velobuild 168 frame.
The frame I ordered without painting, I want to do that myself. I already have some ideas.
Now I have to wait until it arrives in Germany.
Does anyone have experience how long it takes?

J-S-Q

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2022, 03:41:38 AM »
Thanks again for the information.
I just ordered a Velobuild 168 frame.
The frame I ordered without painting, I want to do that myself. I already have some ideas.
Now I have to wait until it arrives in Germany.
Does anyone have experience how long it takes?

I think I was probably lucky but I placed my order on 15th December. It was shipped on the 17th and it was delivered to me in London on the 4th January. Probably would have been even quicker if it hadn't arrived in the UK on New Years Eve and sat in a sorting office for 4 days.

I've certainly read stories of people waiting 3 months for a frame to arrive from China. I think once it is prepared for dispatch at an airport in China, it is completely random how long it takes for them to actually put it on a plane. Could be days or could be weeks!

cramy

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2022, 04:34:38 AM »

cm8181

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2022, 07:38:44 AM »
I have received the Information the frame will be shipped Tuesday next Week.  ;D