Author Topic: Pulled the trigger on the Elite Wheel DRIVE wheelset  (Read 14167 times)

1Sigma

Re: Pulled the trigger on the Elite Wheel DRIVE wheelset
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2022, 06:23:34 AM »
It's more that I am newbie. And I am looking around trying to plan out a more serious bike. But as newbie I don't need crazy light build. But I also would like a quality bike. I want a superb bike not necessarily a top of the line super bike.

For the record, I don’t think I ever said you were new. And there is certainly nothing newbie about investing in carbon wheels - even entry level ones. 

But is the intent is to future-proof yourself for a more serious build, just spring for the Drives, Hypers, or Ventouxs.
You may not want to get a superbike wheel, but if you can get that performance for a fraction of the price there is no reason not to.
Quality, superb wheels - the lot of them. And you’ll be able to carry them over to a new bike without feeling the need to upgrade again. 

The Drives and Hypers will set you back alright $1200 USD, but there is always some discount floating around from YouTubers such as Patrick Lino.  Elite has a $200 off sale at the moment.
The Ventouxs do cost a bit more, but still less than half of a mainstream comparable. 

When it comes to Chinese parts, wheelsets are currently one of the few  where you can have your cake and eat it too
Better than average - Extra Average

Irideslowly

« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2022, 07:52:29 AM »
I doubt you can measure performance improvements between the elite ENT and the Elite drive wheelsets. If youvare building a bike, I don't think paying the premium for drive/hyper is worth it. Marginal gains at best.

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2022, 09:23:44 AM »
For the record, I don’t think I ever said you were new. And there is certainly nothing newbie about investing in carbon wheels - even entry level ones. 

But is the intent is to future-proof yourself for a more serious build, just spring for the Drives, Hypers, or Ventouxs.
You may not want to get a superbike wheel, but if you can get that performance for a fraction of the price there is no reason not to.
Quality, superb wheels - the lot of them. And you’ll be able to carry them over to a new bike without feeling the need to upgrade again. 

The Drives and Hypers will set you back alright $1200 USD, but there is always some discount floating around from YouTubers such as Patrick Lino.  Elite has a $200 off sale at the moment.
The Ventouxs do cost a bit more, but still less than half of a mainstream comparable. 

When it comes to Chinese parts, wheelsets are currently one of the few  where you can have your cake and eat it too

I am saying I am a newbie. But a chinese carbon "super" bike is the same as name brand entry level. Thats a no brainer. But can I buy ent wheels before I get a buy my frame. Seems like putting the kart before the horse.
 ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 09:32:04 AM by Queen of Skulls »
Off with your Head tubes...

If the girls dont find you pretty they should at least find you handy...

[color #FE0000]P[/color][color #FDA601]R[/color][color #FFFF01]I[/color][color #008000]D[/color][color #1614E4]E[/color][color #80007E]!!!![/color]

1Sigma

« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2022, 10:21:34 AM »
I doubt you can measure performance improvements between the elite ENT and the Elite drive wheelsets. If youvare building a bike, I don't think paying the premium for drive/hyper is worth it. Marginal gains at best.

Yes and no, right?
Are they marginal gains? Yes, but noticeably so.

Is it worth it? Depends on the rider. Some, people drop $700 on an OSPW full well knowing they are doing for aesthetics.

I am sure what I am going to say will contradict something else I’ve said, but marginal gains matter because they aggregate. I have no problem with marginal gains - that’s all there really is left in cycling short of some sort of technological revolution. I just have a problem when a marginal gain, in isolation, is marketed as a transformative experience. 

If they didn’t, there would be no point in moving beyond alloy frames and rims.  Heck, even steel for that matter.

All that being said, I also agree that an entry level carbon wheel from a reputable company will still be adequate for everything up to and including amateur competitive riders
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 10:28:06 AM by 1Sigma »

1Sigma

« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2022, 10:23:34 AM »
I am saying I am a newbie. But a chinese carbon "super" bike is the same as name brand entry level. Thats a no brainer. But can I buy ent wheels before I get a buy my frame. Seems like putting the kart before the horse.
 ;D ;D ;D

I mean, so long as you know what type of riding you plan to do (if you are in FL, I am guessing a lot of flat…), you know the general geometry you want, and whether you want disc or rim, there is no issue getting the cart before the horse.

Of course, if you are unsure if you are going gravel, road, MTB.  Then yes.  I would agree

patliean1

« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2022, 10:41:16 AM »
As 1Sigma highlighted, marginal gains absolutely matter in totality.

I see lot of folks struggle to understand this concept, based on the numerous messages I receive daily asking me if Brand A is better than Brand B. We can fool ourselves all we want, but the reality is customers care about weight and performance regardless of budget. In a lot of cases...it's the budget conscience customers who more unforgiving about those details than the name brand folks.

Proper bike fit, position on the bike, properly fitting cycling kit, aero socks, clean drivetrain, decent bottom bracket, decent set of carbon wheels. You could easily be saving like 30 watts.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 10:44:09 AM by patliean1 »

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2022, 10:43:29 AM »
I mean, so long as you know what type of riding you plan to do (if you are in FL, I am guessing a lot of flat…), you know the general geometry you want, and whether you want disc or rim, there is no issue getting the cart before the horse.

Of course, if you are unsure if you are going gravel, road, MTB.  Then yes.  I would agree

Los Angeles here... So I have flats or hills or mountains if I so choose.. And I am 100% in road bikes with disc brakes. 11 shimono. But I dont know if 6 bolt or center lock is better.
Off with your Head tubes...

If the girls dont find you pretty they should at least find you handy...

[color #FE0000]P[/color][color #FDA601]R[/color][color #FFFF01]I[/color][color #008000]D[/color][color #1614E4]E[/color][color #80007E]!!!![/color]

Geko

« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2022, 05:47:46 AM »
Hello Guys,
Can anyone show me how it looks 28mm tyres on 50D wheels especially en face (vittoria) Most pics at google are with 25mm
I have big dillema what to choose. G45 or D50
Did anyone test G45 and compare how it look stiffnes and comfort these set G45 vs D50?

RDY

« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2022, 06:21:45 PM »
Hello Guys,
Can anyone show me how it looks 28mm tyres on 50D wheels especially en face (vittoria) Most pics at google are with 25mm
Did anyone test G45 and compare how it look stiffnes and comfort these set G45 vs D50?

I don't think many people have been willing to take on the G45s for review, or I expect Elite to send them out for review.

On the face of it they look quite compelling, but brittle carbon spokes for offroad are not necessarily a great idea ...

kbike

« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2022, 10:59:17 PM »
I really felt giving gc performance the g45 was a huge waste.  Giving him rims to pretend to use in a parking lot with tires that he thought were fine rubbing on his frame.  If I believed he did gravel I wouldn't call this out.

I asked if I could use my d45 rims for a gravel race and was advised not to do so. I'm pretty little and thought they be fine so I had to ask.  I never tried them on gravel simply because I do love them on my road rides.

I ride gravel 1-2 times a week. I have used 30mm and 50mm rims for gravel. This usually goes with pace and tire size.  Higher speed, smaller tire, easier gravel =50 mm rims.  Lower speed, larger tire, harder gravel = 30mm rims.

I've asked elsewhere on another bike forum but no one answered.  If you have larger tires and 45mm rims isn't that going to be give you a sidewall closer to a 65mm+?  So if you run 30mm rims and 43mm tires you'd still be similar sidewall to a 50mm and 28mm tire. Right? Or is it even more because the circumference?

gbrnole

« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2022, 12:46:02 PM »
Hello Guys,

not that this entirely helps but i run vittoria corsa control in both 25mm and 28mm on the same 18.5mm internal rim with (they are 65 deep but that is immaterial). the 25mm tires inflate to 27.5mm wide. the 28's are much closer to spec and inflate to ~28.6mm wide. long story short, the 28's are not obviously wider in my experience than the 25's which is also probably why their weights are so similar.

internal width on the D50 is 21mm and the G45 is 24mm. both of those will cause the tires to inflate wider than my rims are capable of but visually, if you have seen vittoria 25mm tires on D50 for example, they shouldn't look much different if those were 28mm.

1Sigma

« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2022, 10:09:05 PM »
Hello Guys,

I have a bike running 28s on 45D, 21mm internal and another running 28s on the 50V (19mm internal)
In both cases, inflated to about 70-75 psi, the tire width is pretty much in line with the rim width.

I’ll see if I can send you some pics

Geko

« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2022, 03:13:38 PM »
That would be great if you can make pics up the front.
Many producers start using wider rims.
I had experience with 30mm external rim and it looks good with Vittoria.
I read few  positive revies about brand parocurs with their  series ronde. Their front rims are really wide 32mm. But they rims are much heavier than Drive.

Geko

« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2022, 03:20:28 PM »
I don't think many people have been willing to take on the G45s for review, or I expect Elite to send them out for review.

On the face of it they look quite compelling, but brittle carbon spokes for offroad are not necessarily a great idea ...
I know what you mean and probably you have right, but I would like  to use G45 as a road wheels on tarmac, sometimes on flat smooth gravel paths.
I asked Elite do they make these wheels with D50 hubs but they told it's not possible.

kbike

« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2022, 04:32:25 PM »
That is probably true.  The nipples holes are offset and angle drilled for the spokes.  The hubs also look milled to an angle that matches. I'd have the guess the hoops aren't the same shape or have a different layout in the arch area for support of nipples and spokes.