Author Topic: Pulled the trigger on the Elite Wheel DRIVE wheelset  (Read 14197 times)

1Sigma

Re: Pulled the trigger on the Elite Wheel DRIVE wheelset
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2022, 09:20:51 PM »
Yep I'm in the US and it took about 3 weeks after getting the tracking. It went from "label created" to arriving in 2 days after it got scanned. Guessing they came via boat.

Correct.  They use a freight forwarder to get it to US/Canada.
UPS picks it up after it clears customs.
Takes a bit longer, but doesn’t come with the nasty UPS brokerage fees and duties.
Better than average - Extra Average

« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2022, 12:15:23 AM »
I received my Elitewheels DRIVE 45D on Thursday and have them gone through 100km on Saturday, 23rd July.
First was the wheelset unboxing in my YouTube video titled "EliteWheels DRIVE 45D Wheelset - First Impressions" / youtu.be/lglcGHaKpCo

I simply loved the handling characteristics especially on the straightline. How I think about them?
So I made a First Ride clip and let you know about it in another YouTube video titled "EliteWheels DRIVE 45D - My First Ride". / youtu.be/rObtK6VQ3A4

« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 09:27:41 PM by Taicho_Cyclist »

Madcrazy10

« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2022, 04:03:50 PM »
I got my wheels today.  No decals with black hubs.  They look good.  But I have a question... They are super loud and was going to put some grease in the free hub to maybe help dampen the noise before putting them on the bike...  So, how do you take this free hub body off?  I don't want to damage it so just want to make sure I'm doing it right. 

1Sigma

« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2022, 07:07:03 PM »
I got my wheels today.  No decals with black hubs.  They look good.  But I have a question... They are super loud and was going to put some grease in the free hub to maybe help dampen the noise before putting them on the bike...  So, how do you take this free hub body off?  I don't want to damage it so just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

1) pull the cap off the non-drive axle. This should come off by hand.
  this will expose the machined axle with a notch in it
2) hold the side of a cone spanner or butter knife or something in the notch to hold it still
3) use a 17mm wrench/cone spanner to unscrew the cap on the drive side
4) pull off the hub body.  You should be able to do this by hand

Madcrazy10

« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2022, 09:22:39 AM »
Man, was mine really on there tight.  I had to take it to a my LBS and they even had a hell of a time unscrewing the end cap thingy.  They finally got it.  Watch out though, those notches on the other end where you use "butter knife" or whatever to hold it will chip away if you aren't careful then it will even be harder to hold it. 

I emailed EliteWheels if they had a video on how to do this & wow did they come through.  I had this video waiting for me in my email about 24 hours later.

1Sigma

« Reply #65 on: July 27, 2022, 12:42:43 PM »
Man, was mine really on there tight.  I had to take it to a my LBS and they even had a hell of a time unscrewing the end cap thingy.  They finally got it.  Watch out though, those notches on the other end where you use "butter knife" or whatever to hold it will chip away if you aren't careful then it will even be harder to hold it. 

I emailed EliteWheels if they had a video on how to do this & wow did they come through.  I had this video waiting for me in my email about 24 hours later.

I’m glad you were able to get it off, and that Elite was able to send you some super support!
I wonder who tightened it so much!  I’ve done several Shimano to XDR hub body swaps, and each time it was tightened to just over finger tight.

patliean1

« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2022, 05:21:45 PM »
Got my hands on a pair of the newly released Elite Drive 65D wheels. Review coming soon. Yes I expect everyone to ask me if they're better (or worse) than the Hyper 65s. What I can tell you right now is: "It depends..."

Plus I have a pair of the new Lun Hyper D67 wheels coming soon which should be a better comparison than the current Hyper 65s, since they also have 21mm internal

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2022, 11:25:12 PM »
These are one of the wheel sets that I have been looking at for my first build. But I don't know if I should look at their other wheels or what fora more durable wheelset.
Off with your Head tubes...

If the girls dont find you pretty they should at least find you handy...

[color #FE0000]P[/color][color #FDA601]R[/color][color #FFFF01]I[/color][color #008000]D[/color][color #1614E4]E[/color][color #80007E]!!!![/color]

1Sigma

« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2022, 01:31:36 PM »
These are one of the wheel sets that I have been looking at for my first build. But I don't know if I should look at their other wheels or what fora more durable wheelset.

Provided you buy a wheelset fit for your cycling discipline you won’t need to worry about durability.
At least not relative to mainstream brands.

I do sell these wheels, so in the interest of avoiding bias, in addition to Elitewheels, you can’t go wrong with winspace or Farsports either.

Wheelsets are one of the few places where you don’t need to compromise by buying Chinese.  IMO,  it is one areas where China can deliver a better product for less.  There are other areas where product is “as-good-as” and many areas where its “80% performance at 20% of the price”

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2022, 01:41:08 PM »
Provided you buy a wheelset fit for your cycling discipline you won’t need to worry about durability.
At least not relative to mainstream brands.

I meant with in the brand of elitewheels. I just meant maybe not the drives.

[color #FE0000]P[/color][color #FDA601]R[/color][color #FFFF01]I[/color][color #008000]D[/color][color #1614E4]E[/color][color #80007E]!!!![/color]

Irideslowly

« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2022, 02:32:02 PM »
I have heard only positive for the most basic elite wheels. I forgot the name of the exact model, but they are great.

1Sigma

« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2022, 02:45:00 PM »
I meant with in the brand of elitewheels. I just meant maybe not the drives.

Gotcha.
Then perhaps if you are looking to keep initial cost down, but want a durable wheel you may want to get the ENT.

Steel spokes, and a system weight of 125kg/275lbs I think (I’d confirm with Elite…)

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2022, 04:03:07 PM »
Gotcha.
Then perhaps if you are looking to keep initial cost down, but want a durable wheel you may want to get the ENT.

Steel spokes, and a system weight of 125kg/275lbs I think (I’d confirm with Elite…)

They look like all of their wheels are rated for 125kg/275lbs

1Sigma

« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2022, 10:33:40 PM »
They look like all of their wheels are rated for 125kg/275lbs

Yep, more or less. I think some are 130kg, but not sure.
Just recommended the ENT as it looks like you are trying to keep costs down on this build

Queen of Skulls

« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2022, 11:39:06 PM »
Yep, more or less. I think some are 130kg, but not sure.
Just recommended the ENT as it looks like you are trying to keep costs down on this build
It's more that I am newbie. And I am looking around trying to plan out a more serious bike. But as newbie I don't need crazy light build. But I also would like a quality bike. I want a superb bike not necessarily a top of the line super bike.