Author Topic: Titanium bolts  (Read 1268 times)

jannmayer

Titanium bolts
« on: January 29, 2022, 02:02:32 AM »
I'm contemplating replacing a few of the steel bolts with titanium bolts (seat clamp, stem, steerer top cap). Is there anything I need to watch out for? Any corrosion or other concerns with putting a titanium bolt through a steel or aluminum part? Any preferred suppliers or ones to avoid?

StiffWeenies

Re: Titanium bolts
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 04:59:23 AM »
They’re not cheap but I quite like the titanium screws from S-PARTS. I’ve only found them on sale through their official Tmall store so buyers outside of Greater China may be out of luck here. Though I’m pretty sure they have some international presence because Ti-Parts on Carousell Singapore is almost certainly supplied by them. S-PARTS is growing in credibility imo because many new high end boutique components makers from China are now using their screws. For example, the new EXS ULTRA-RR stem and VFV Deep-V seatpost both advertise their use of S-PARTS screws.

There is also a brand called RISK (probably also supplied by S-PARTS?) on Taobao/Tmall/Aliexpress that sells a smaller selection of titanium screws compared to S-PARTS.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 07:44:17 AM by StiffWeenies »

Zdrenka89

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 02:42:56 AM »
Well the great thing about titanium is the very high corrosion resistance. Basically, in the environment that a bicycle will find itself in, you will never get corrosion. So no concerns there.

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 03:15:24 AM »
If you want a trusted US domestic source, there’s always BetterBolts. I expect to source a bunch of pieces from them this year, starting with a shock bolt for my new FM1002.

https://betterbolts.com/

olajosgatya

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2022, 01:37:07 PM »
StiffWeenies already mentioned the brand called Risk from AliExpress and I can only recommend them.

I started to replace the rusty bolts with titanium ones sold by them. I am using their chainring bolts for over a year and their headset bolt for 6 months now without any problems.

My only complaint is that their packaging is too fancy. They send the bolts in a metal box which is padded with form fitted foam. In my opinion it is just too much waste. I would have been perfectly happy just receiving the bolts in paper bags. :)

Zdrenka89

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2022, 01:32:15 AM »
My only complaint is that their packaging is too fancy. They send the bolts in a metal box which is padded with form fitted foam.

Wow... a travel case for your bolts.

carbonazza

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2022, 02:56:08 AM »
...My only complaint is that their packaging is too fancy. They send the bolts in a metal box which is padded with form fitted foam. In my opinion it is just too much waste. I would have been perfectly happy just receiving the bolts in paper bags. :)

Did you tell them ?
I didn't like it either, and complained.
If we are many they may improve this, and save some money too.

olajosgatya

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2022, 01:22:09 PM »
Wow... a travel case for your bolts.

Yeah, none of the listings picture show the packaging so it is quite surprising the first time you receive it.

Did you tell them ?
I didn't like it either, and complained.
If we are many they may improve this, and save some money too.

That is a very good point and have not crossed my mind. I will also explain to them what my opinion is about their packaging.

bremerradkurier

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2022, 11:10:27 AM »
Any easy way to confirm you're really getting titanium bolts and not far cheaper/weaker aluminum with a nitride finish?

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2022, 11:13:49 AM »
I'm contemplating replacing a few of the steel bolts with titanium bolts (seat clamp, stem, steerer top cap). Is there anything I need to watch out for? Any corrosion or other concerns with putting a titanium bolt through a steel or aluminum part? Any preferred suppliers or ones to avoid?

You’ll want to get some Finish Line Ti Prep and coat the bolts with it when installing. Cold welding is definitely an issue with titanium and aluminum in contact with each other.