Author Topic: Chinese carbon MTB cranks  (Read 4860 times)

noodleshop

Chinese carbon MTB cranks
« on: February 19, 2022, 03:48:45 AM »
Hey there,

Just wondering if anyone has experience/recommendations for a good pair of Chinese carbon MTB cranks, meant to be used for an XC bike. SRAM direct mount, boost spacing, 1by setup. Thanks!

00Garza

Re: Chinese carbon MTB cranks
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 07:33:05 PM »
Carbon cranks didn’t really catch on like frames did. The few options I found seem pretty limited in compatibility. If you find something that works, let us know how it goes.

US $110.00  45% Off | New EC90 bicycle parts carbon fiber four claw five claw crank center set
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOx6aGY

US $109.99 | 104 110 130BCD Crankset crank All carbon fiber 170 175mm 3K XC road/mountain bike Crank Set gear plate Bicycle accessories
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrLH6BW

US $121.72  41% Off | DODICI Carbon Fiber Crank Mountain Bike Crank Ultra-light Four-jaw Bcd170mm Bottom Bracket Bicycle Spare Parts Cycling Supplies
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOrMsIU

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 01:45:59 AM »
Considering how many high end Race Face and SRAM carbon MTB cranks I’ve seen broken (usually JRA, not some dramatic impact), I’d be *extremely* cautious about this. Many riders I know who’ve tried carbon cranks in the past will not ever touch them again with a 50 foot pole.

Raceface Sixc are the only ones I’ve never seen break, but they’re DH-grade and quite rare.

Now when you’re talking road applications that’s one thing. But I wouldn’t trust them to take any kind of serious multi-axis punishment, even if it’s “only” XC.

Just my $0.02, FWIW.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 01:47:44 AM by FullCarbonAlchemist »

StiffWeenies

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 06:52:36 AM »
The SkyPivot crank (road and MTB versions) has gone through several design iterations and the latest 3rd generation still isn't available for sale due to production constraints. But the company responsible (Incolour) has more than enough money behind and they've even got plans to spin off SkyPivot into its own brand. SkyPivot cockpits and concept frames were shown off at the 2021 bike show.

The Neutron crank (road only) had some QC issues and Neutron themselves doesn't exist as a company anymore due to some business disagreements. I believe one of the guys involved went off to found Furay who have since rebranded the Neutron OSPW. Old stock of the Neutron carbon crank and titanium crank are pretty hard to come by these days and there is no indication that they'd be produced again.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 07:10:29 AM by StiffWeenies »

OlieSimpson

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2022, 02:29:34 AM »
The SkyPivot crank (road and MTB versions) has gone through several design iterations and the latest 3rd generation still isn't available for sale due to production constraints. But the company responsible (Incolour) has more than enough money behind and they've even got plans to spin off SkyPivot into its own brand. SkyPivot cockpits and concept frames were shown off at the 2021 bike show.

The Neutron crank (road only) had some QC issues and Neutron themselves doesn't exist as a company anymore due to some business disagreements. I believe one of the guys involved went off to found Furay who have since rebranded the Neutron OSPW. Old stock of the Neutron carbon crank and titanium crank are pretty hard to come by these days and there is no indication that they'd be produced again.

I'm desperate to get my hands on a set of the SkyPivot cranks! Would love to know when they're going to be available. 

StiffWeenies

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2022, 03:52:05 PM »
Bigrock has a carbon MTB crankset in the works

lilbigmacky

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2022, 08:14:47 AM »

lukwy

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2022, 08:47:02 AM »
Nice crank but what is the deal? XTR 9100 the same weight and a bit more expensive. For me the choice would be simple.
FS: Carbonda FM936, XT/SLX 1x12, 2.4
Gravel: TanTan GR045, GRX820/105 2x12, 700x35c

d3xophen

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2022, 09:55:12 AM »
Sram force crankset also the same weight with a bit more expensive.

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2022, 01:52:20 AM »
That's a lot for a Chinese crankset, the fonovo phantoms aren't all that much heavier either.

Vipassana

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2022, 02:27:23 AM »
Considering how many high end Race Face and SRAM carbon MTB cranks I’ve seen broken (usually JRA, not some dramatic impact), I’d be *extremely* cautious about this. Many riders I know who’ve tried carbon cranks in the past will not ever touch them again with a 50 foot pole.

Raceface Sixc are the only ones I’ve never seen break, but they’re DH-grade and quite rare.

Now when you’re talking road applications that’s one thing. But I wouldn’t trust them to take any kind of serious multi-axis punishment, even if it’s “only” XC.

Just my $0.02, FWIW.

I have no reason to doubt you, but this blows my mind. I've only ever meta single rider who claims to have broken one (a SRAM) and that came after years of use on the same crank set.  I personally have 8 years and 12k+ miles on my X01 SRAM set without issue.  I wouldn't consider myself a gentle rider.  Maybe on the lighter side at 175lbs? 

saintrider

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2022, 08:41:20 AM »
I Have a Zrace Hardrock Machined in ALU super Cheap and very very nice finish, that is also 540g without the ChainRing....so no need to go to Carbon that is less forgiving, given the amount of times i have already banged the cranks on Rocks.

1Sigma

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2022, 06:13:16 AM »

Interested in your take on Incolor, if you have one.
They come across as being on the higher-end of the bike brand spectrum.   I recall them putting out teasers of the Skypivot crank (late 2020, early 2021? I've got trouble dating anything in the last few years...). It even looked like Joe from China Cycling/Winspace was going to do a piece on it.  But then radio silence....
Better than average - Extra Average

RDY

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2022, 02:36:01 PM »
They're out of production still AFAIK.

1st gen had major problems.  2nd gen appears to have been barely produced and also had issues.

FedericoBettini

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2023, 07:15:26 AM »
Non comprate bigrock!