Author Topic: Fake eeBrakes G4  (Read 11286 times)

StiffWeenies

Fake eeBrakes G4
« on: February 23, 2022, 07:46:02 AM »
Hey everyone, the original discussion on the fake eeBrakes G4 got shut down on another forum so I'm continuing it here.

You can purchase them through this seller on AliExpress but I'm sure there are others carrying it. For the record, I contacted that particular seller and they told me that an unbranded set without logos can be arranged. Personally I'm not a fan of fakes with logos so an unbranded set of generic brakes is right up my alley.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 11:07:26 AM by StiffWeenies »

StiffWeenies

Re: Fake eeBrakes G4
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 08:29:04 AM »

00Garza

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2022, 11:07:11 AM »
That canecreekstore is definitely a phony scam site. But I'm kinda glad it seems Cane Creek is finally outed as made in China and "assembled" in America. Lots of dancing around the topic in their statements and in those threads.

schlafen

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2022, 04:06:05 PM »
I read 'assembled' in US like 'yes we buy them from China but it's none of your business'.

1 leaf spring + 2 circlips is rocket science now, therefore they demand premiums, lol.

2005R32

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2022, 01:48:49 PM »
I decided to give the center mount version of these G4 counterfeits a try.  I was pleasantly surprised with their looks but these are not the bees knees. 

Compared to R8000 brakes (tested on two bikes with similar setups, differing only by their brake calipers) the springs are firmer and require more grip strength but I imagine this would benefit frames with serpentine cable routing.  With Shimano pads, the braking is not quite as good but it's close.  Also unlike R8000, there is a little slop in the right side pivot, the side with the cable pinch bolt.  Somehow, this results in no squeal even with zero toe, but maybe this is more a result of the Shimano pads. 

I happen to have them set up with spacers for narrow, 22mm rims but I can confirm that they will accommodate rims up to 30mm by rearranging or removing the four 2mm spacers these come with. 

These will not fit on frames with dropped seat stays because of the amount of space required by the linkage and cable routing.  By my measurement, there needs to be at least 53mm of clearance between the brake mount and the seat tube.

There is one really weird thing about these brakes and that's the centering mechanism.  It's tool free, which is quite nice, but because of its design, only one arm spreads when opening the quick release.  This could be a problem with tires that balloon much wider than the rims.  See the second photo.

These weigh 101g for the front and 96g for the rear, without pads (that didn't arrive -- not the first time missing items from an Ali seller).  I paid $178.11 with tax and shipping to the US from a seller called F1Z BIKE SHOP, and they took 20 days to arrive.

If the real ee brakes are identical except for the badge and shoe fixing bolts, I have to assume that they have all the same characteristics.  Thus, other than the looks and weight savings, they're not better than R8000.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 01:58:37 PM by 2005R32 »

StiffWeenies

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2022, 12:53:48 AM »
I decided to give the center mount version of these G4 counterfeits a try.  I was pleasantly surprised with their looks but these are not the bees knees. 

Compared to R8000 brakes (tested on two bikes with similar setups, differing only by their brake calipers) the springs are firmer and require more grip strength but I imagine this would benefit frames with serpentine cable routing.  With Shimano pads, the braking is not quite as good but it's close.  Also unlike R8000, there is a little slop in the right side pivot, the side with the cable pinch bolt.  Somehow, this results in no squeal even with zero toe, but maybe this is more a result of the Shimano pads. 

I happen to have them set up with spacers for narrow, 22mm rims but I can confirm that they will accommodate rims up to 30mm by rearranging or removing the four 2mm spacers these come with. 

These will not fit on frames with dropped seat stays because of the amount of space required by the linkage and cable routing.  By my measurement, there needs to be at least 53mm of clearance between the brake mount and the seat tube.

There is one really weird thing about these brakes and that's the centering mechanism.  It's tool free, which is quite nice, but because of its design, only one arm spreads when opening the quick release.  This could be a problem with tires that balloon much wider than the rims.  See the second photo.

These weigh 101g for the front and 96g for the rear, without pads (that didn't arrive -- not the first time missing items from an Ali seller).  I paid $178.11 with tax and shipping to the US from a seller called F1Z BIKE SHOP, and they took 20 days to arrive.

If the real ee brakes are identical except for the badge and shoe fixing bolts, I have to assume that they have all the same characteristics.  Thus, other than the looks and weight savings, they're not better than R8000.

Thank you for sharing your experience. The user krooj in the TPL thread reported that the fakes are less stiff compared to the real thing. Overall I think some corners were definitely cut in terms of assembly workmanship and material quality of certain parts. I hope they can fix these issues and advertise an unbranded option up front instead of having to message them to arrange it.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 12:59:03 AM by StiffWeenies »

schlafen

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2022, 07:52:29 AM »
I have taken apart my calipers to grease the pivots and the centre mounting bolt is actually titanium, which is nice.

If you want unbranded brakes, just remove the logo, it's a simple alloy cap held in place by an o-ring.

edit: forgot to mention that mine came without pads as well but they were advertised without pads.
edit 2: shite spelling lol
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 07:54:42 AM by schlafen »

Glen

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2022, 08:47:44 AM »
Hi, do you mean I can remove the logo myself? Thank you.

jefflinde

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2023, 04:02:45 PM »
Sorry for bringing up an old thread but i just received these and how do these differ from the real deal?  mine have ti hardware and patent markings all over them.  even the washers look on the pad holders look oversized just like the real thing.  Also mine came in a cane creek marked box.  For fakes they sure went to a lot of effort to make them look real.  is there any surefire way to tell the difference? 

jefflinde

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2023, 04:22:09 PM »
here is the box and even an Cane creek user manual.  if these are fake, they need to start charing more.  paid under $150 incl. shiping to the US for the pair. 

Yunglord

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2023, 01:56:14 PM »
Hi Jeff,

I also have these and the bolts are different also we probably all have the same serial on our calipers.

I have over 4000km on mine with some serious descents as well and so far so good.

jefflinde

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2023, 01:53:10 PM »
Hi Jeff,

I also have these and the bolts are different also we probably all have the same serial on our calipers.

I have over 4000km on mine with some serious descents as well and so far so good.

Thank you, I did some more web searching and did notice the pad bolt was different.  still amazed at the work that went into these fakes.  I assume these brakes will take regular shimano or similar cartridge pads?  can someone please confirm?  what are you guys using? 

Yunglord

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2023, 06:22:16 PM »
Hey Jeff!

Yes they take the same pads currently using Swisstop Flash Evo Black Prince has my rims have an external width of 29mm (had to remove all the spacers from the brake calipers)

Super happy with the brakes been doing long descents with them no problem.

Sebastian

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2023, 03:12:31 AM »
I’ve been looking at these for a while, but decided to order a set of Bontrager Speed Stop Pros. They can be found very cheaply NOS. I got mine for around 120 EUR. Weight is around 200g. So slightly heavier than the fake EEbrakes.
They will replace my Record Calipers at 320g.
The Bontrager have TRP brake shoes so I’m guessing they’re made by TRP, which is a good thing IMO.
Also, I like that they have adjustable brake power to customise the brake action to any brake lever.
They seem a good alternative to the Ali fakes. Just saying.

jefflinde

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2023, 07:43:34 PM »
I’ve been looking at these for a while, but decided to order a set of Bontrager Speed Stop Pros. They can be found very cheaply NOS. I got mine for around 120 EUR. Weight is around 200g. So slightly heavier than the fake EEbrakes.
They will replace my Record Calipers at 320g.
The Bontrager have TRP brake shoes so I’m guessing they’re made by TRP, which is a good thing IMO.
Also, I like that they have adjustable brake power to customise the brake action to any brake lever.
They seem a good alternative to the Ali fakes. Just saying.

Those seem like nice brakes but i would never put anything on my bike by bontrager.  I refuse to feed the Trek machine.  Time will tell if these fakies are any good but fake or not, the machining and attention to detail in making these to mimic EE's is so good that i dont even care if they are fake.  If they just labeled these as something else and sold them by their own name they would have a hot seller (for rim brakes in a disc brake world that is)

Those bontragers are probably made in the same factory as these.  All the trek stuff is from china anyways.  just with a little extra on top for big guy.