Author Topic: Fake eeBrakes G4  (Read 11288 times)

Sebastian

Re: Fake eeBrakes G4
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2023, 12:59:21 AM »
Those seem like nice brakes but i would never put anything on my bike by bontrager.  I refuse to feed the Trek machine.  Time will tell if these fakies are any good but fake or not, the machining and attention to detail in making these to mimic EE's is so good that i dont even care if they are fake.  If they just labeled these as something else and sold them by their own name they would have a hot seller (for rim brakes in a disc brake world that is)

Those bontragers are probably made in the same factory as these.  All the trek stuff is from china anyways.  just with a little extra on top for big guy.

I agree. I might just get a set of these still and put them on my weight weenie steel build.

The Bontragers are Made in Taiwan says the labelling on the box. Which makes sense because TRP stuff is Made in Taiwan.

jefflinde

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2023, 05:17:15 PM »
I had read that one of the biggest complaints on these was the pad fixing bolt.  i have replaced them with some titanium pad bolts that actually fit in the groove perfectly.  Also swapped out the cable clamp bolt to a titanium one.  i like the looks of the black better and it saves about 4 gr. per brake. 

crusader4192

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2023, 09:09:13 PM »
I had read that one of the biggest complaints on these was the pad fixing bolt.  i have replaced them with some titanium pad bolts that actually fit in the groove perfectly.  Also swapped out the cable clamp bolt to a titanium one.  i like the looks of the black better and it saves about 4 gr. per brake.

Have you ridden them on the road? What are your thoughts on their performance?

bichler.bua

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2023, 02:31:41 AM »
Looks nice, can you share information for the bolts you used to replace the stainless steel ones?

jefflinde

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2023, 08:44:43 PM »
due to popular demand, these are the bolts that i bought to replace the standard issue bolts that come on the fake EE brakes.  i used the stock washer as it is very thin and fist well around the shoulder on the new titanium bolt.  one other nice thing is the new ti bolts use a 4mm hex key instead of the T25 torx.  i am not a huge fan of torx for bikes as that is the only thing that uses them on my bike.   

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804682267951.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.83.26821802TDMD8r&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

as for the performance of these brakes, i have only taken them around the block a few times.  they seem to be very powerful in the few times i slammed them to test them out.  i was able to lock them with ease and they do feel very firm and solid at the lever.  i have read of some other super light brakes feeling very spongy but these are very nice.   

crusader4192

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2023, 08:56:32 AM »
Thanks so much for your reply, Jeff! I'm going to order some of those bolts.

Yunglord

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2023, 09:26:00 AM »
don't use these in humid/rainy weather they will start rusting out.

jefflinde

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2023, 10:15:47 AM »
don't use these in humid/rainy weather they will start rusting out.

What part have you had rust on you?  I took a magnet to them and the only thing I could find that was magnetic was the return spring, cable clamp bolt (replaced with Ti) and the brake pad bolts (replaced with Ti).  if there is something else that I need to look at please let me know. 

although I told my wife this was the trainer bike so maybe I don't need to worry about rain.  hahahaha

Yunglord

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2023, 11:58:53 AM »
What part have you had rust on you?  I took a magnet to them and the only thing I could find that was magnetic was the return spring, cable clamp bolt (replaced with Ti) and the brake pad bolts (replaced with Ti).  if there is something else that I need to look at please let me know. 

although I told my wife this was the trainer bike so maybe I don't need to worry about rain.  hahahaha

the little circular arc has been rusting on me and I have been oiling it to protect it as much as possible and it's happening on both calipers.

I would still vouch for these as it doesn't seem to affect integrity however for those who want things to look pristine all the time it's something to consider.

jefflinde

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2023, 10:03:04 AM »
I received the email from Cane cmCreek about their limited edition $800 brakes that we can be so lucky to buy.  While I'd am not buying those I was noticing they sell small parts for the EEbrakes.  They actual sell the pad bolts and spacers for like $5-$10.  Everything is sold individually but for $30-$40 you could get actual EEbrakes parts for the only part that I have ever heard complaints about.  If my titanium bolts don't work out how I want I will be going this route.

They also sell the brake pads for a shockingly reasonable price.  Not allot and carbon compounds. 

coffeebreak

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2023, 10:42:13 AM »
Nice hack! Stick it back to them lol. Those are getting crazy honestly. Last month I was selling an All-City bike locally and someone proposed a trade offer for CK components. Just out of curiosity I asked what does he have to trade and guy says limited edition CK brakes from 2019 but since my bike was only $900 he said it's not an even trade and wanted me to pay $100 on top. Per him those brakes "will only go up in price" because every year there's a new limited edition and old ones keep getting rare :-X

jefflinde

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2023, 04:19:54 PM »
Nice hack! Stick it back to them lol. Those are getting crazy honestly. Last month I was selling an All-City bike locally and someone proposed a trade offer for CK components. Just out of curiosity I asked what does he have to trade and guy says limited edition CK brakes from 2019 but since my bike was only $900 he said it's not an even trade and wanted me to pay $100 on top. Per him those brakes "will only go up in price" because every year there's a new limited edition and old ones keep getting rare :-X

Yeah when i am buying and selling bikes i avoid anything with Pauls, Chris King, Enve, etc. components.  nothing really wrong with the parts (other than ego driven elitism and over pricing) but the people that put them on their bikes generally have an emotional attachment to the bikes and the perceived status it gives them.  not exactly sure but they always think that they are worth big $$$ even when on a shit bike.  and they usually get very offended when i offer a realistic price.  Also with the CK headsets, i still dont know what you are paying for.  I am going year 7 now with my NECO Chinese one that was $15.  and it is on a fat bike that sees salted roads and lots of moisture.  a CK would have to last 1000 yrs to make the cost worth it.   

Sebastian

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2023, 04:52:13 PM »
Yeah, a Chris King headset is a bit like jewellery. Totally unnecessary but beautiful to look at - which is in the eye of the beholder obviously. I too would never pay that kind of money.

crusader4192

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2023, 03:10:28 PM »
the little circular arc has been rusting on me and I have been oiling it to protect it as much as possible and it's happening on both calipers.

I would still vouch for these as it doesn't seem to affect integrity however for those who want things to look pristine all the time it's something to consider.
Overall, you've had good experiences with your fake eebrakes and don't have any concerns about how well they work? Besides rust on the return spring, any other QC or build issues?

coffeebreak

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2023, 03:01:21 PM »
Any update on how these are holding up after months of use? I am about to give up on SRAM Red 22 calipers that refuse to stay centered. These seem like a nice lightweight option to replace them. Are these too sensitive to cable length?