Author Topic: Fake eeBrakes G4  (Read 11284 times)

Yunglord

Re: Fake eeBrakes G4
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2023, 10:18:50 AM »
Overall, you've had good experiences with your fake eebrakes and don't have any concerns about how well they work? Besides rust on the return spring, any other QC or build issues?

I have since moved back to Disc Brakes but they worked as intended and except for the rust build up which could most likely be prevented they are fine.

They are finicky with cable just like the real thing and I know some frames won't be able to have the right angle for them.

I did about 7000km with them and never had a failure.

coffeebreak

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2023, 11:54:55 AM »
During last sale I pulled trigger on silver pair of these brakes to replace SRAM Red 22 calipers on my SSE2. The Red calipers are a bitch to keep centered and very, vert susceptible to cable length. Not to mention plasticky parts on it. Enter the EE brakes and after riding for about 400 miles, I am fairly happy with the performance. But it's not without its shortfalls though.

For one, the calipers do have a flex. After installation, you can move the arms with little force - definitely not as stiff as Ultegra brakes which I have on other bike. Secondly, the little piece with "ee" logo thing is wobbly. You can pry it out pretty easily. I haven't understood the function of it as to why it needs to come out but you have it. It does have a pretty thick rubber gasket to seal but with just 2 rides in rain and dirt there was dust inside when I pulled the cover out.

Then there is the actual installation process - its definitely not as simple or straight forward compared to Shimano's or SRAM's. The cable needs to pass through tiny gaps on pivots into the tightening screw. That screw and square washer that presses against the cable are really flimsy.

With all that said, these things are a thing of beauty. Really love the complicated mechanical look of them. They also undercut Red calipers by around 50 grams. Rode the bike to my LBS and main mechanic was impressed at the machining and looks of it.
That's the thing - when I opened the box I was surprised how good they look. Absolutely no signs of it being fake. Came with all the documentation, washers, screws etc in proper packaging for each. In fact I am still not sure what the real thing does better. May be they are less flexy? Anyhoo, I still feel they are a little pricey for being fakes and aren't better than Ultegra brakes. The Ultegra R8000 caliper (pair) can be had for $65 brand new from eBay and have absolutely no flex.
Compared to SRAM Red, they definitely stay centered and look sexy. Oh and unlike SRAM, they also don't need silly 13mm wrench.

Too early to tell how the moving parts hold though. I shall report again after 2k miles. For now, if anyone is interested, buy them for novelty or to save a few grams but not for outright performance (especially if you are in Shimano land).

Sebastian

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2023, 01:00:29 PM »
I had the Bontrager Speed Stop Pro brakes which are very similar to these. And while they did stay centered, I just could not get them set up so the two arms would apply the brake force evenly. So much so that the pads would wear much more on one side. That’s why I took em off. My Campy Record brakes are heavier, sure. But they work so much better.

coffeebreak

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2023, 10:19:28 PM »
During last sale I pulled trigger on silver pair of these brakes to replace SRAM Red 22 calipers on my SSE2.

Quoting my own post for an update since I have gathered some miles on it.

Issues have reared their head. First off, the rear brake felt mushy, so I changed the Shimano housing to Jagwire Pro Road (KEB-SL). Verdict? Almost unusable. The actuating arm cannot handle the pressure exerted by stiff housing. I knew the pivots have play in them but the actuation arm where cable connects is even worse - I would call it "loose". So when you use super stiff compressionless housing, it can throw the arm out of its usual location. Unfortunately for it, the design of the caliper is such that that the butterfly screw must pass through a slit in the actuation arm - so if that arm itself is moving laterally, this butterfly screw strikes against the arm. The complicated design is not helped by poorly riveted pivots. If everything was supertight with minimal tolerances this issue won't arise.

The other thing that impacts this caliper (especially the rear) is the way cable is routed. On almost all the frames rear brake cable exits from left of the top tube and the cable naturally flows into brake caliper which all have cable port on the left. Not on this, the cable port is on the right, so cable has to take a turn immediately after exit from top tube and if the housing is compressionless, it continuously pushes against the butterfly/adjusting knob. I don't have this problem on the front. Tried various lengths of cable, wasting almost 3 feet but nope. I finally gave in and installed the usual softer brake cable and things are back to working condition at least. Mushy but not unusable.

All in all, I am disappointed. This is a design that needs really tight tolerances with absolutely minimal play/movement between pivots and that is NOT the case here. :(

coffeebreak

« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2023, 01:59:52 PM »
Final update on these brakes as I draw curtain on them and go back to SRAM Red 22 calipers -

The tiny centering screw (on rear caliper) has started to become undone with regular road usage. That causes the caliper to lean on one side every few miles. This is similar to Red calipers who refuse to stay centered except in this case it's even more severe. This on top of all other issues. I had gotten them because Red calipers were annoying with their centering problem but alas. At least the Red calipers are solid without any slop and wiggly pivots.

Such beautiful looking, shiny artifacts but they are back into their boxes for good.

dumbmachine

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2024, 12:39:28 PM »
Could some loctite on the brake bolt not help you here?

coffeebreak

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2024, 01:17:32 PM »
You mean on the centering screw or the main bolt that goes through the frame? I could have on the centering screw but the idea of putting loctite on a screw that's supposed to be adjustable sounds kinda wrong.

In any case, these calipers have bigger issues than that particular screw. The tolerance is just too big on almost every moving part. Sloppy and wiggly. I have read some people are happy with it so may be my particular set is lemon.

Jet the Panda

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2024, 04:33:11 PM »
I was always interested in these, but after reading the problems in this thread I guess I will give them a miss.

Going to get the Ultegra dual pivot rim brakes instead. Unless there's another good light weight dual pivot option

coffeebreak

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2024, 12:12:56 PM »
I was always interested in these, but after reading the problems in this thread I guess I will give them a miss.

Going to get the Ultegra dual pivot rim brakes instead. Unless there's another good light weight dual pivot option

The Ultegras are hands down better calipers. I recently scored a new R8000 set for $50. Much cheaper than these yet miles better.

Apart from this thread there are some threads on weight weenies and Bikeforums where people have noted same problems as mine. I read those threads and still went ahead with the order - don't be me lol.

Look up KCNC brake calipers, expensive but I dig the design. Also look at Ciamillo if you want (there are some horror stories about them too).

dumbmachine

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2024, 12:38:08 PM »
You mean on the centering screw or the main bolt that goes through the frame? I could have on the centering screw but the idea of putting loctite on a screw that's supposed to be adjustable sounds kinda wrong.

In any case, these calipers have bigger issues than that particular screw. The tolerance is just too big on almost every moving part. Sloppy and wiggly. I have read some people are happy with it so may be my particular set is lemon.

The main bolt.
I mostly asked it as question, being a total newbie bike mechanic. :-[

coffeebreak

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2024, 11:10:46 AM »
Oh okay, no the main bolt on EE is fine. Better than SRAM Red anyway. I didn't notice that screw tilting the caliper over time like it happens on Red.

Rmgvtec

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2024, 03:40:29 PM »
I experienced some similar issues but I screwed down the centering screw and used the main fixing bolt to manually align.
I also put a new piece of brake outer from the frame to the caliper approx 20mm longer than I had already fitted. Amazed just how much difference this has made and the back brake is as good as the front.