Author Topic: Airwolf YFM053 build  (Read 2687 times)

TerribleDirt

Airwolf YFM053 build
« on: March 15, 2022, 09:26:12 PM »
Hi y'all - Long timer reader, first time caller here.

Pulled the trigger on the Airworlf YFM053 and YFMF005 fork back in December and finally able to build it up.

Frameset arrived nicely packaged and the finish was decent for the price - save for a couple sloppy finishing job around a few of the water bottle bosses.

Actual build was straight forward, and I probably made it harder for myself by adding the foam sleeve onto the internal rear hydraulic hose. I did replaced all the bolts the came with the bike as they felt cheap and soft.

Frame came in at 959g, 20g for the hanger/retainer screw, and 552g for the uncut fork. It's about 9.3kg/20.7lb with tubes in both wheels for now. Plenty of space to shave a few pounds but I need to put in some miles first...

Boybiskit

Re: Airwolf YFM053 build
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2022, 09:36:01 PM »
Ooh - I really like that. Geometry looks spot on - 68.5 head and 74 seat. Be interested to hear how it rides.

yourrealdad

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 07:34:13 AM »
Have you used a different seatpost?

Their site says 30.8, I want to make sure I can use an actual 30.9 seatpost

TerribleDirt

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2022, 12:07:16 AM »

I measured a few times (looking to add a dropper) and can confirm it's 30.9. I, too, was initially worried about it being 30.8 but also thought it's unlikely since odd size means they will have a make a 30.8 seat post mold

snotrag

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2023, 03:55:41 AM »
Hi all - signed up as I'm looking to build an XC race bike to race instead of my heavy trail bike - was going to buy off the peg (2023 Scott Scale probably) but given the lead times on pretty much everything, plus the fact I have stacks of nice parts/spares I fancy trying one of these frames.

I've got some 11speed XTR bits, and I will run a dropper and a RS SID but hopefully it will still be pretty light (11.kg maybe?).

This is the only real thread I can find on the YFM-053 - I am particularly interested in this one, being a bit longer and slacker than most of the traditional china-carbon frames available.

Anyone else built one? Happy?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 03:58:56 AM by snotrag »

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2023, 06:25:10 AM »

A difference of 0.1mm generally doesn’t matter in a clamped tube situation like that. The clamp area of the seat tube opening doesn’t have tolerances that tight.

Though since 31.8 is also a size, this could’ve been a mixup when the specs were written down.

TerribleDirt

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2023, 02:12:25 AM »
Bit of an update: Got a really great deal on a Pike Ultimate 120mm with 44mm rake so I decided to try it out. Had to switch to 180mm rotor out front so everything added about 2 kg/ 4.4 lbs to the build.

Fork installation was a breeze until I realized the massive damper adjuster knob wouldn't clear the downtube by a hair  >:(. A frantic internet search yielded a +3mm crown race from Cane Creek (BAA0855K). Bye bye clean flush headtube/fork junction but nice to know I won't crack my downtube with a metal knob.

I've also since changed the headset to a Cane Creek 40 after noticing the stock headset wouldn't stop clunking - The stock IS headset needed/doesn't have a shim spacer. Went with a full new headset as price was fairly reasonable.

I loved how the bike handled before with the rigid carbon fork, but it's now a darn sweet playful whipper.