Author Topic: Himalo Frames?  (Read 16186 times)

carbonazza

Re: Himalo Frames?
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2022, 02:19:27 PM »
...It's funny that y'all mentioned the cs-rk3. That's the exact hub I'm running, coupled with an 11-50t wide range. Have a gear for every occasion! ...
Wow... 33 speed  :D
I'm just with the bare bones hub.

SnowDrifter

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2022, 04:44:28 PM »
Correct, it can be used with a throttle only

Honestly, not sure about the 12sp groupsets. I run a 9 speed. Parts are cheaper, more available, stronger. I've found the wide steps between gears are a bit more desireable on an ebike so you're not spending all your time shifting when accelerating.

Eggrider: It's small, doesn't draw attention, and is unintrusive to the cockpit. I can also program the bbshd on the fly with my phone, vs having to get a dongle and a laptop.

It has a pretty neat HUD on your smart phone, but I've never used it as I ride with my phone in my pocket.

carbonazza

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2022, 11:00:55 PM »
Eggrider: It's small, doesn't draw attention, and is unintrusive to the cockpit. I can also program the bbshd on the fly with my phone, vs having to get a dongle and a laptop.
Too bad, they don't have any in stock

SnowDrifter

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2022, 12:07:14 PM »
Still using 'er daily!

Decided to get a cumulative weight.

Me, with clothing, shoes, pocket schmoo: 180lbs

bike: 40-45lbs

Motor+battery: 20lbs

Other accessories - rack, headlights, kickstand, panniers: another 8-10 or so

Backpack: ~5lbs

Lock: ~5lbs

Groceries: 30-40lbs

Total rolling weight? Just shy of 300.

Not the heaviest thing out there. But definitely far from lightweight. Frame and other components have yet to skip a beat. Get shat on by the bike guys for using 'cheap' parts. But ya know what? 300lbs with a motor on it and nothing's showing any fatigue as of yet? I'm pleased as punch.

For the himalo 180 fork: it's not an oil bath system. It's just greased internally. The grease gets wiped away from the moving parts periodically. What I've done to minimize maintenance and labor time after seeing the inside (it's literally just bushings and a dust wiper) is replace the screws on the back of the fork with some low-profile grease fittings. Whenever it starts to feel like it's moving low speed bump sensitivity, I toss a pump or 2 of grease in there and cycle the thing. The stuff I'm using is just what I had on hand, NLGI2 silicone grease. Using a grade 0 semi-fluid grease would probably be better. But meh. Cheap fork = I can't be bothered to split hairs on maintenance. But so far, it's been a champ. I also put about 5ml of motor oil into the air chamber to take up some volume as I found I was hitting my front fender on bottom-out. Only thing I've noticed is that the compression adjust (lockout) seems to spin at the end of the clicks vs. coming to a firm stop. Functionality doesn't seem to be otherwise affected. Happy with it so far!

On the DNM rear shock: Nothing to note there. Haven't paid close enough attention to see if I've needed to add air or not since I tend to adjust it quite a bit depending on the riding I'm doing.

For the frame: Haven't had any issues with the bearings in there, or the pivots loosening up since I did that loctite+retighten operation. The paint on there will chip if it gets smacked by a rock. But the cheapest black satin primer/paint from the local store matches it close enough for my needs.

Rolling weight: https://imgur.com/DJFJE0w

Grease fitting: https://imgur.com/Wa8cd72

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2022, 05:11:31 AM »
Any pictures?

SnowDrifter

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2022, 01:15:20 PM »

Rconroy

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2022, 03:58:47 PM »
New member here, long time lurker.

Does anyone have any information on this frame being offered on AliExpress by a few different vendors?

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804479558687

Ideally looking for any first hand experiences, or even an actual vendor website.

cybrsrce

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2022, 03:07:49 PM »
New member here, long time lurker.

Does anyone have any information on this frame being offered on AliExpress by a few different vendors?

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804479558687

Ideally looking for any first hand experiences, or even an actual vendor website.

Since I have no self control I bought that exact one at the beginning of the 11/11 sale.  I feel like the "HIMALO Store" is the official one but if nothing else they have really good ratings.  It probably has another 7-10 days before it gets to me since it just landed in Alaska and I'm in eastern Pennsylvania.  I'll post some pics when it gets here.

Rconroy

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2022, 03:24:13 PM »
I would be super interested to see some pics when they arrive.

On paper, it looks like the frame has modern-ish geo, but the thing that is most intriguing is the facts its the only Al frame Ive seen that has boost wheels.

I think its a bit quirky that it's got a ZS55, rather than 56 on the lower HS cup.

Also be interested to learn how the bike works with short stroking the shock; running the suggested 210X55, but also 52.5 and 50mm strokes - as that's more appropriate for the stated 66deg HA.

...I think the bottom line is that I need to get my hands on one.

cybrsrce

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2022, 08:53:50 PM »
Showed up today, packaged well and shipped in a box that is about the size of the front triangle.
It came with a super ugly headset (but free is free I guess), rear axle, and even rear shock hardware.
Welds look really good, paint is pretty good, no dents or other issues.
Without a shock - 8.36lbs (3.79kg), this is going to be a heavy build...

Rconroy

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2022, 09:08:07 PM »
Showed up today, packaged well and shipped in a box that is about the size of the front triangle.
It came with a super ugly headset (but free is free I guess), rear axle, and even rear shock hardware.
Welds look really good, paint is pretty good, no dents or other issues.
Without a shock - 8.36lbs (3.79kg), this is going to be a heavy build...

What Ali vendor did you end up going with?

cybrsrce

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2022, 09:25:22 PM »
What Ali vendor did you end up going with?

Same store link you posted earlier, https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804479558687.html  Looked official to me.

MTBKeo

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2022, 10:50:57 AM »
got one recently, took 4 days to get.

It was the 17" 27.5 version, with a 140mm fork the HTA measured 65.5, STA 76.5. I ran a 210x50mm shock and measured the rear travel 133.36mm.

Bike rides good, pedal like any trail bike with a Horst Link suspension.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 10:53:27 AM by MTBKeo »

cybrsrce

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2022, 11:30:46 AM »
Looks good.  My mostly finished 19x29 weighs about 35lbs.  Not terrible but not great.

MTBKeo

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2022, 11:34:58 AM »
forgot to post the weight, mine was just under 33lbs