Author Topic: Clipless Pedals  (Read 1740 times)

StiffWeenies

Clipless Pedals
« on: April 05, 2022, 02:21:10 PM »
Found a couple new pedal brands

Keo:
Zeray ZP-115Cr

Zeray ZP-110, old model

Wellgo R312, apparently the parent company of Xpedo who also OEM the Favero Assioma

SPD-SL:
Huooge TK9100, titanium axle

Huooge TK8100

Wellgo R358

svanimpe

Re: Clipless Pedals
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2022, 02:44:11 PM »
I'd advise caution when buying cheap pedals. I've bought a pair of Zeray ZP-108S pedals last year, and they were absolute rubbish. The bearings were so stiff that I could actually feel them resisting my pedal stroke. I tried them once, tried regreasing the bearings, but with no success, so they went into the metal bin at the recycling plant...

StiffWeenies

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2022, 02:57:32 PM »
I'd advise caution when buying cheap pedals. I've bought a pair of Zeray ZP-108S pedals last year, and they were absolute rubbish. The bearings were so stiff that I could actually feel them resisting my pedal stroke. I tried them once, tried regreasing the bearings, but with no success, so they went into the metal bin at the recycling plant...

Aw that sucks. Yeah these pedals probably aren't worth the headache, best to just go for something from Look or Shimano themselves.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 03:19:30 PM by StiffWeenies »

kbike

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 03:24:19 PM »
I've bought quite a few pedals. My Wellgo pedals all seem to be way to difficult to clip in/out. Both in spd and spd-sl.

My very first pair of zp-110 are my lightest at 245g. Other zeray zp-110 have been 280g -ish.

As for adjusting the stiffness. I always loosen the nut on pedals check lube. then find sweetspot for smooth pedal rotation and bolt play. Even my shimano 9000 I have to clean and adjust once the ball bearings bind up.

I never tried the speed play systems, egg beaters, time.

1Sigma

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2022, 06:05:49 PM »
For me, a key consideration is a durable cleat.  I do a lot of start/stop cycling within the city.
To that end, good 'ol SPDs have done me well.
I'm not convinced that the extra contact patch of road systems will translate to any perceptible gains for me over the SPD.  But shoe options are limited

I've been looking at th Xpedo RF-S1. Fairly lightweight for the system.

I've been interested  in the TIME ATAC system, but the only option i can find is the Costelo version, which were not highly reviewed by Trace Velo.  Also, it's a niche system.

Currently I am using the chinaplay pedals.  Super light, but once you include all the  cleat hardware, it's about the same as other road systems.  I do like that they are dual sided though.  Bearings are meh, but I am sensing this is a theme
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 08:00:49 PM by 1Sigma »
Better than average - Extra Average

jannmayer

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2022, 07:49:48 PM »
I have a pair of Wellgo single-sided SPD pedals that I got with some other parts, and they've been fairly good. The bearings aren't as smooth as my Shimano pedals but they work, and no issues clipping in or out. RC-713, I think. I probably have 600 or 700 miles on them so far.

I wouldn't pay a lot for them, but I'd consider a pair of they were cheap.

jcr

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2022, 09:09:03 PM »
I bought a set of Kootu Spd-sl compatible and put it up for sale after one try on the trainer. It had amazing review on Amazon but the bearing grease was too thick to free spin. Secondly with the spring tension to the tightest setting, the clip and unclip force was way less than my Ultegra on its lowest setting.

00Garza

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2022, 09:43:50 AM »
I don't think aliexpress clipless pedals are worth savings when compared to lower end shimano, wellgo, or exustar (amongst others).
Some may be fine, some will be trash.

StiffWeenies

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2022, 12:42:01 PM »
XCadey are working on a set of power meter pedals!

These pictures are from a patent submitted in July 2021. For perspective, the patent for their latest power meter crankset (April 2021 product launch) was submitted in June 2020. With the 2022 bike show rescheduled to August, we may well see XCadey PM pedals debut alongside Sensah hydraulic brakes and the Wheel Top road groupset.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 12:51:18 PM by StiffWeenies »

1Sigma

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2022, 03:21:47 PM »
XCadey are working on a set of power meter pedals!

These pictures are from a patent submitted in July 2021. For perspective, the patent for their latest power meter crankset (April 2021 product launch) was submitted in June 2020. With the 2022 bike show rescheduled to August, we may well see XCadey PM pedals debut alongside Sensah hydraulic brakes and the Wheel Top road groupset.

I find myself starting to look to you as my go to source for industry news. lol
Better than average - Extra Average