Author Topic: LTWOO ER9 & ERX - Electronic groepsets  (Read 72621 times)

jonathanf2

Re: LTWOO ER9 & ERX - Electronic groepsets
« Reply #750 on: May 06, 2024, 10:14:39 PM »
After ride number 5 where the shifters stopped working, I have finally reached the point of permanently moving forward. Is there a way to use parts (such as the breaking calipers) in a shimano groupset?

I'm using LTwoo calipers on my other Ultegra mechanical road bike. They work pretty good and I was able to standardize my 3 bikes with the same brake pads (GRX, Ultegra and LTwoo).

cramy

« Reply #751 on: May 06, 2024, 11:48:26 PM »
Joe from China Cycling is in the shanghai bike shoe, in his video of day 2, he is talking of the ERx blue edition V2, seems they made some upgrade especially on the charging port which is now usb C and on the FD.

https://youtu.be/HUxLUQI2-Us?t=485

Sebastian

« Reply #752 on: May 07, 2024, 01:06:50 AM »
I'm on the opposite spectrum of ER9/X users on here, because my ER9 has been working great.

Well, you haven't had it for that long so too early to tell, I'd say.
Mine's also working fine still all the way through a very wet winter here. I'm past 3000k/1800miles now. I too am cautiously optimistic that I might have a well working unit. But so thought SergeK, until they all broke down on him.

kbernstein

« Reply #753 on: May 07, 2024, 01:19:22 AM »
Wonder how eGR will be charged if it gets redesigned since there's no FD. Not very streamlinely of them

Serge_K

« Reply #754 on: May 07, 2024, 01:58:40 AM »
Mine's also working fine still all the way through a very wet winter here. I'm past 3000k/1800miles now. I too am cautiously optimistic that I might have a well working unit. But so thought SergeK, until they all broke down on him.

Exactly... Until everything went to shit i was saying the stuff's amazing.
I charged / tried to charge my group last night after it died yesterday. Charged all night. This morning it was at 77%. Plugged into the wall, no funny business. So... idk. I doubt it's supposed to take more than 12h to fully charge. Which then means there's something that's not working properly. But i'm not in the mood to try to figure it out now.
i have put 3500km on the er9 on my road bike since Feb24.

zerstorer

« Reply #755 on: May 07, 2024, 06:42:10 AM »
Check the charger or the batteries.
Mine does about 7000-8000 shifts before it drops to 30%

jmcabellom

« Reply #756 on: May 07, 2024, 08:21:02 AM »
Joe from China Cycling is in the shanghai bike shoe, in his video of day 2, he is talking of the ERx blue edition V2, seems they made some upgrade especially on the charging port which is now usb C and on the FD.

https://youtu.be/HUxLUQI2-Us?t=485

Hello,
I realized yesterday, watching TraceVelo video about bike rack, he is testing the eRx blue edition. Were checking videos and shorts (to know from when) but he did not mention anything about it. He will want to make a good evaluation before giving an opinion.
Greetings!!

kbernstein

« Reply #757 on: May 07, 2024, 08:41:27 AM »
Hello,
I realized yesterday, watching TraceVelo video about bike rack, he is testing the eRx blue edition. Were checking videos and shorts (to know from when) but he did not mention anything about it. He will want to make a good evaluation before giving an opinion.
Greetings!!
His is eRX "blue" "v1". A revision but not the latest Joe showed with usb c

jonathanf2

« Reply #758 on: May 07, 2024, 09:44:16 AM »

I live in one the best climates for cycling so wet and/or cold weather isn't an issue for me. Though I did take all the preventative precautions for the battery cables. If the weather is wet, either I ride an indoor trainer or I take my gravel bike instead. I used the ER9 as an excuse to move to both 12 speed and electronic.

I'll be the first to report back if I have any issues, but I chanced getting the groupset knowing I wouldn't be riding in extreme weather.

ChrisB

« Reply #759 on: May 11, 2024, 09:46:45 AM »
Thank you for the 51 pages of comments to the eR9 and eRX, very useful and interesting information!

During the recent sale I could not resist to get an eR9 without batteries that came in delivered around 300US$.
A great price if the thing works...

For context, I upgraded my mostly indoor Zwift bike with the eR9 since the shifting performance of the GR9 never was great and the thumb shifter is not my cup of tea after trying it for several months. I think the poor shifting performance may have been due to the tight bends of the shifter cable due to the fully integrated handlebar. Going to wireless electric shifting did the trick for me...

I had the GR9 hydraulic levers paired with the Zrace XG calipers, design, weight and color choice were attractive at the time.
My experience with the calipers was less than stelar... the back brake did never work, even after several bleeds. The brake feeling was always soft and not very assuring on steep downhill rides. Installed the heavier L-Twoo calipers and breaking feel and performance is now good.

I am running the eR9 in a 1x11 speed configuration, due to the existing chain and cassette.
I really like the future proof option to upgrade to 1x12 or 2x12 if I want to experiment.

Reading about the water ingress on the deraileur, I decided to use a heat shrink tube to slide over the port of the rear derailleur and then shrieked it to seal the cable in place. I expect this to solve the issue for the time being.

Getting the L-Two app to work is a bit of an issue since the default language is Chinese... after some online search I figured out how to switch the language. Other than that the App is easy to use and the option to fine tune each gear to the tolerances of your cassette is a great feature.
I currently run 46t x 11-36t for my indoor setup, no problem with the B screw to get 36t working even without a deraileur extender.

Time will tell how good the system works and if the batteries discharge quickly. Since use the bike mostly indoors it should at least not cause any issues with water ingress.

BR
Chris
« Last Edit: May 11, 2024, 10:04:19 AM by ChrisB »

Serge_K

« Reply #760 on: May 11, 2024, 10:59:48 AM »
I really like these emonda looking frames. If you ever see one capable of taking 32C, please message me.
I actually rode today with a guy who has a 6000 EUR emonda di2. Such a nice bike. He's an ex pro so in my book he's allowed to spend 6k on a bike :p

ChrisB

« Reply #761 on: May 11, 2024, 06:10:51 PM »
I really like these emonda looking frames. If you ever see one capable of taking 32C, please message me.
I actually rode today with a guy who has a 6000 EUR emonda di2. Such a nice bike. He's an ex pro so in my book he's allowed to spend 6k on a bike :p

32mm wide tires would be pushing it to the limit... I currently use 30mm Conti GP5000 and there is still room to go a bit wider.

BR
Chris

jonathanf2

« Reply #762 on: May 12, 2024, 01:59:31 PM »
I had the GR9 hydraulic levers paired with the Zrace XG calipers, design, weight and color choice were attractive at the time.
My experience with the calipers was less than stelar... the back brake did never work, even after several bleeds. The brake feeling was always soft and not very assuring on steep downhill rides. Installed the heavier L-Twoo calipers and breaking feel and performance is now good.

This is funny, I just did the opposite. My LTwoo calipers worked fine, but the weight gain going with the ER9 was bugging me. I had ZRace XG calipers I bought on a whim awhile back and decided to install them. In the process I also opted to switch to 140mm rear rotors and cut a few extra grams. I didn't even do a proper bleed since I did a direct swap with the calipers. Brake feel is surprisingly good with the ER9 levers. The weight savings is quite significant because I cut about 100g from the calipers.

BTW - do you have a photo of your heat shrink cables? I'm using a coat of rubber cement + dielectric grease on my cables, but now I'm realizing it's a bit of a dirt magnet. I'd prefer a much cleaner application if possible!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 02:54:52 PM by jonathanf2 »

Serge_K

« Reply #763 on: Today at 02:09:27 AM »
This is funny, I just did the opposite. My LTwoo calipers worked fine, but the weight gain going with the ER9 was bugging me. I had ZRace XG calipers I bought on a whim awhile back and decided to install them. In the process I also opted to switch to 140mm rear rotors and cut a few extra grams. I didn't even do a proper bleed since I did a direct swap with the calipers. Brake feel is surprisingly good with the ER9 levers. The weight savings is quite significant because I cut about 100g from the calipers.

BTW - do you have a photo of your heat shrink cables? I'm using a coat of rubber cement + dielectric grease on my cables, but now I'm realizing it's a bit of a dirt magnet. I'd prefer a much cleaner application if possible!

Very pretty build (with the exception of that saddle bag :)!
What frame is that?