Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-218  (Read 78643 times)

Sebastian

Re: Velobuild VB-R-218
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2022, 03:41:19 AM »
Officially 28mm.  Very tight 30mm for the real Dogma F.

I’ve measured the chainstay clearance before shipping the frame. It is almost 40mm and narrows down to around 38mm right before the bottom bracket. I see no reason why a 32mm tire won’t fit, if that’s important to you.

Jimin

« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2022, 05:00:05 AM »
Here are a few more details.
I've made some shots from the inside of the frame. Everything looks fairly normal judging from my experience with other frames.
The headtube area has some wrinkles. Some of it might be resin pooling. Some of it might be wrinkles in carbon sheets. Make of it what you will. I've seen similar things in other frames. I think it should be fine as this is not a lightweight frame and the headtube area seems fairly overbuilt. But obviously there's no way to know for sure unless you have someone scan and/or x-ray it.

Have you got yours yet? :)

@jth15656 how long have you had yours now and do you still recommend it? I saw it yesterday and got sooo hooked! So on the fence of ordering one.

Another thing that I am wondering is if its possible to swap the handlebar in the future or are we glued to its proprietary one?

jth15656

« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2022, 09:18:39 AM »
I've had mine built for just over a month now and ridden around 225 miles. I haven't had any issues yet,  so no regrets!

michkus

« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2022, 01:27:45 PM »
I built mine up on Saturday and put some chrome decals on it :D
Rides extremly well and comfortable.
My bike before was a Cannondale Supersix evo (2016).

Jimin

« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2022, 04:16:14 PM »
I've had mine built for just over a month now and ridden around 225 miles. I haven't had any issues yet,  so no regrets!

I built mine up on Saturday and put some chrome decals on it :D
Rides extremly well and comfortable.
My bike before was a Cannondale Supersix evo (2016).

These replies are for both of you :)
You guys have awesome bikes! I almost pulled the plug on the 168, when I saw this one. It was jawdroping!
So to the questions:

• Did you pay 499+shipping only or was it any "hidden cost" or additional costs that appeared on the way?
  • What is your tire width?
  • Is it the default handlebar?
  • Did you have any kit during the building phase of the bike?
  • Which size did you go and what is your height?
  • is it possible to swap the handlebar to another one if I dont like that one?
  • did you guys got any discount?
  • how much did he charge for the paint? Different paint, different price?
  • any recommendations before I order?

Sorry for the questions, thing is that I have recently become a father and last time when he was born I missed the opportunity to order VBR 099 due to the economical situation. And now, it feels that I dont want to miss this one.

I am very new to bikes however very eager to learn because I want to do it all in the future and dont want to send it to the LBS everytime I need to make a service. Also I come from a gravelbike called White GX LTD, so my idea was to move all the components to this frame and build up the other one with cheap other chinese brands that I saw some from Trace Velo.

michkus

« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2022, 02:38:56 AM »
•   Did you pay 499+shipping only or was it any "hidden cost" or additional costs that appeared on the way?
I paid 499+160 for shipping (XDB). No more costs for me like taxes or customs. (I live in Germany.)

•   What is your tire width?
Currently 28mm on 21mm inner width rims. But there is plenty more room, I think 32mm should also fit.

•   Is it the default handlebar?
Yes.

•   Did you have any kit during the building phase of the bike?
No special tools required, you dont have to press in bearings etc. Hardest thing for me was routing di2 and hydraulic cables through the handlebar.

•   Which size did you go and what is your height?
I went for Size 54 (M), but my old bikes all were Size 56. I am 181cm.

•   is it possible to swap the handlebar to another one if I dont like that one?
I think only the "Talon 1 Piece Handlebars fit". But you have a lot of choice in stem length and width on the vb site. Also on aliexpress there are alot of these bars  in different sizes. All models for F12/F should fit.

•   did you guys got any discount?
No :D

•   how much did he charge for the paint? Different paint, different price?
I dont know, I didnt ask. Went for Matte Carbon and I think it is beautiful in the sun.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 05:02:52 AM by michkus »

Sebastian

« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2022, 03:07:36 AM »
Have you got yours yet? :)

@jth15656 how long have you had yours now and do you still recommend it? I saw it yesterday and got sooo hooked! So on the fence of ordering one.

Another thing that I am wondering is if its possible to swap the handlebar in the future or are we glued to its proprietary one?

I’m still waiting for mine. I’ve sent the disc frame on to another customer. My rim brake frame is on the way. I’ll be posting updates once I got it. It’ll be interesting to see whether there are any weight differences.

Jimin

« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2022, 08:11:09 AM »
I’m still waiting for mine. I’ve sent the disc frame on to another customer. My rim brake frame is on the way. I’ll be posting updates once I got it. It’ll be interesting to see whether there are any weight differences.

Nice! Did you chose any color? :)

•   Did you pay 499+shipping only or was it any "hidden cost" or additional costs that appeared on the way?
I paid 499+160 for shipping (XDB). No more costs for me like taxes or customs. (I live in Germany.)

•   What is your tire width?
Currently 28mm on 21mm inner width rims. But there is plenty more room, I think 32mm should also fit.

•   Is it the default handlebar?
Yes.

•   Did you have any kit during the building phase of the bike?
No special tools required, you dont have to press in bearings etc. Hardest thing for me was routing di2 and hydraulic cables through the handlebar.

•   Which size did you go and what is your height?
I went for Size 54 (M), but my old bikes all were Size 56. I am 181cm.

•   is it possible to swap the handlebar to another one if I dont like that one?
I think only the "Talon 1 Piece Handlebars fit". But you have a lot of choice in stem length and width on the vb site. Also on aliexpress there are alot of these bars  in different sizes. All models for F12/F should fit.

•   did you guys got any discount?
No :D

•   how much did he charge for the paint? Different paint, different price?
I dont know, I didnt ask. Went for Matte Carbon and I think it is beautiful in the sun.

Regarding the handlebar, is it circular hole like the "standard"? Or any weird shape? :)

Is the matte black prone to fingerprint?

Sebastian

« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2022, 01:42:00 PM »
Nice! Did you chose any color? :)

I chose the same Color as the disc frame that I was accidentally sent. A sort of gunmetal grey.

Regarding the handlebar, is it circular hole like the "standard"? Or any weird shape? :)

The frame has 1.5 inch bearings top and bottom. So you can fit any integrated handlebar for that standard. For instance FSA’s ACR integrated stem and bar system. Loads of other choices on AliExpress. Personally I think the bar that is included is absolutely fine. The steerer is a normal round one. Brake hoses and cables are routed between steerer and headset bearing. Hence the 1.5 inch upper bearing in order to have enough space.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 01:46:38 PM by Sebastian »

Jimin

« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2022, 03:24:46 PM »

I chose the same Color as the disc frame that I was accidentally sent. A sort of gunmetal grey.

The frame has 1.5 inch bearings top and bottom. So you can fit any integrated handlebar for that standard. For instance FSA’s ACR integrated stem and bar system. Loads of other choices on AliExpress. Personally I think the bar that is included is absolutely fine. The steerer is a normal round one. Brake hoses and cables are routed between steerer and headset bearing. Hence the 1.5 inch upper bearing in order to have enough space.

That color is badass tho! :)
I think I will go with blue ish color. Have decided that the order will take its place on the 25th once the salary comes.

Ah! Now it makes more sense! I thought it was triangle shaped based on the "cap".
One downside that I can think of is the guide tubes that doesnt exists and some people say that its very hard to pull the cable through without any cable. Wonder how that will be. I think so too but was just curious how they are going to hold up in the future in case it breaks or if I get any hairline cracks.

Which wheels were you planning to go with?

Speaking about the stem, is there any angle to these stems?

Jimin

« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2022, 04:44:31 PM »

Is it this color? http://www.velobuild.com/products/2022-vb-r-218-carbon-fiber-aero-road-frame-disc-version-grey-metallic
Your pictures seems to be brighter somehow.

Sebastian

« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2022, 01:04:59 AM »
Is it this color? http://www.velobuild.com/products/2022-vb-r-218-carbon-fiber-aero-road-frame-disc-version-grey-metallic
Your pictures seems to be brighter somehow.

Yes. That’s the frameset they sent me. The photo on the website is way too dark. You can see from my photos that it looks like a darkish grey metallic. I quite like the Color. I discussed it with Chris and he suggested this Color and sent me a sample pic. That pic however looked nothing like the actual color the frame is painted in.  :)
So you see that it can be a bit hit and miss. I was lucky as I’m satisfied with my choice.

Jimin

« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2022, 01:26:18 AM »
Yes. That’s the frameset they sent me. The photo on the website is way too dark. You can see from my photos that it looks like a darkish grey metallic. I quite like the Color. I discussed it with Chris and he suggested this Color and sent me a sample pic. That pic however looked nothing like the actual color the frame is painted in.  :)
So you see that it can be a bit hit and miss. I was lucky as I’m satisfied with my choice.

Hahah yeah def for sure! Thats why I consider either going with matte black as the standard one haha! :D
gonna check the website for some samples.

Gwar

« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2022, 04:23:18 AM »
Hello Sebastian, im thinking about buying this frameset and slowbly build a bike on it when i can obtain all the other components. i read that you chose the XXL size, im 186 cm tall and im not quite sure if i should go for the XXL or XL. how tall are you?

Nullsense

« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2022, 04:23:47 AM »
Hi, I'm about to get a bike fit for this frame and was wondering about the handlebar sizing - is the width measured from the hoods or total? (saw online that it might be total width instead of standard hood distance sizing)

Also would someone confirm that 32mm width tyres fit on this frame? Thanks
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 05:28:05 AM by Nullsense »