Author Topic: LCFS947 Build (Risky Business)  (Read 2465 times)

Remedy 7

LCFS947 Build (Risky Business)
« on: April 19, 2022, 10:33:16 AM »
Finished building and preliminary testing the LightCarbon LCFS947 (medium) purchased second hand from user Riding_Truckee. It has been respectfully named "Risky Business" LightCarbon was so kind to allow the warranty to carry over to me as the new owner so +1 to them for doing that. Now that I have over 100 miles on the frame I am posting up my build list as well as feedback.

So far the frame has been great to ride. It climbs better than I imagined such a long travel bike would. Descending is very confidence inspiring as the 170/153 eats up everything I've thrown at it so far. I do currently have an open warranty claim for a creak that has developed and LightCarbon are being diligent in helping me solve it. I'll update once I get that cleared up and more miles on the frame.

Build
Rockshox Yari ('18) @ 170mm travel - 51mm offset - 2 Volume Tokens
Fox Float DPS ('20) Evol LV 185x52.5 @ 153mm travel - 0.6 Volume Token
SRAM NX Eagle Mech upgraded XX1 B-Bolt kit / GX Eagle Shifter / NX Eagle Cassette 11-50t / NX Eagle Cranks 170mm - 30t
SRAM Guide T (front) w/ 203mm Centerline - Ceramic Pads
SRAM G2 RS (rear) w/ 180mm Centerline - Ceramic Pads
Raceface AR30 /DT 370 rear hub (HG)
Maxxis Minion DHF 29x2.6 / DHF DD 29x2.5
Cane Creek Forty ZS 44/56
Nukeproof Neutron V2 Handlebars 31.6 clamp / 800mm wide / 25mm rise
ONE UP V2 Dropper 150mm / shimmed to 140mm
Ergon SMC saddle

A few shots through the process. Full gallery can be seen at https://imgur.com/a/m2l1cZV

escyb

Re: LCFS947 Build (Risky Business)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 11:54:41 AM »
This is a really nice build!  :)

Hope the creak gets resolved soon! How is the rear shock coping?

Have a blast!!

Remedy 7

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2022, 06:10:00 PM »
Thank you. I'm going to ride it as is for now. Its opening weekend at the bike park and I'm going to give it a go.

The shock is FINE at best. I'm going to try and run it with the largest volume token @ 195lbs and see if it feels any better.

I did some how come across another owner at a local trailhead recently who had managed to fit a coil on his, which I cant help to think would suit the bike better. Will investigate further in good time.

zaphodbeeblebrox

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2022, 08:51:20 AM »
StefanB has/had a coil on his. Pics of what had to be clearanced are in the other 947 thread: https://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,2986.90.html

Remedy 7

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2022, 09:06:27 PM »
I have read that thread a bit. The gentleman who had the same frame had found a coil shock that fit with zero modification. I wish I could remember the brand.

JimLee

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2022, 04:55:26 AM »
this frame can use the coil shock,  if you find the right size,
the recommend Rear Shocks (185*55mm trunnion mount) and Bushing Kits(30*10mm) is only recommend,
Make sure that the diameter of the bottom and middle ends of the coil shock absorber is less than the inner width of the seat tube.

Remedy 7

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2022, 09:20:04 PM »
this frame can use the coil shock,  if you find the right size,
the recommend Rear Shocks (185*55mm trunnion mount) and Bushing Kits(30*10mm) is only recommend,
Make sure that the diameter of the bottom and middle ends of the coil shock absorber is less than the inner width of the seat tube.

I’ll have to measure the opening and see what cool profiles fit.

In other news I’ve fitted a token to the DPS and will be hitting the bike park tomorrow for the frames first real proving ride.

Draz

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2022, 11:05:38 AM »
Nice looking bike. I'm very new to the forum.
This post literally made me pull the trigger for this frame, mainly because i got the same exact bike stand and scout 290.
I decided to go with Large frame as i didn't like XL scout, especially unnecessary long seat tube 510mm..
Figured this FS947 looks quite modern. Any comment on seat tube of LC?
I have a brandx dropper 170mm, guess i should swap it to a 125 or 150mm.
I also plan to paint this bike metallic silver. Black for decals and suspension link.
We ride mainly in the mud so it doesn't really matter, but matte finish hard to maintain.

Remedy 7

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2022, 02:43:15 PM »
Nice looking bike. I'm very new to the forum.
This post literally made me pull the trigger for this frame, mainly because i got the same exact bike stand and scout 290.
I decided to go with Large frame as i didn't like XL scout, especially unnecessary long seat tube 510mm..
Figured this FS947 looks quite modern. Any comment on seat tube of LC?
I have a brandx dropper 170mm, guess i should swap it to a 125 or 150mm.
I also plan to paint this bike metallic silver. Black for decals and suspension link.
We ride mainly in the mud so it doesn't really matter, but matte finish hard to maintain.

Thanks for your interest and kind words.

First let me say you will love the frame. Its been great to me so far. Already has 2 park days under its belt.

The seat tube as many others has been my biggest complaint at this time. I run a brand x 170 in my Scout funny enough. For this frame I will ultimately end up with a OneUp 90mm as this will be used mostly as a park bike.

I would definitely order one pre painted unless that is a skill you have. But definitely get it painted either way. Silver will look GOOD.

Let me know if you have any questions while you wait for yours to show up.

jefflinde

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2022, 01:46:27 PM »
Where is the creak coming from?  I also have this frame and my lower shock mount boot was slightly under sized by .08mm and it was creating play in the linkage.  I ended up making my own out of some bar stock and it took care of the issue. 

Remedy 7

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2022, 05:31:43 PM »
Mine is coming from the seat stays where on the seat tube side.

JimLee

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2022, 04:11:36 AM »
you means is there any abnormal sound inside the seat tube when riding?
Jim Lee- Lightcarbon

Remedy 7

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2022, 09:06:29 PM »
you means is there any abnormal sound inside the seat tube when riding?
Jim Lee- Lightcarbon

Correct. I’ve already sorted this with Wendy and have a new one on the way. I’ll swap it over with fresh bearings and see how it goes.

I appreciate your curiosity!

Remedy 7

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2022, 06:32:59 PM »
Been a fun summer on this frame. I’ll get around to a write up with my impressions as well as compiling my best footage from this year and uploading to YouTube.

For now some recent shots.