Author Topic: Looking for the perfect XC Carbon frame  (Read 2778 times)

Patch64

Looking for the perfect XC Carbon frame
« on: April 25, 2022, 12:38:24 PM »
Hello, I need your help!
I have a project to build a 29” carbon bike. But I have difficulties to choose the best frame. My target is to have a light & reliable bike for XC working with 100/120 mm travel fork.
For light I mean below 1200g for a hardtail and below 2150g for a FS (without shock).
The first choice would be a hardtail one and my heart choose the Airwolf YFM026 one, it’s light, beautiful and not too expensive. Any notable issue with this frame? Any other idea?
As nowadays I’m riding a 27.5” full suspension frame from Carbonal, I would prefer a full suspension one, but the choice is really not easy:
-   Carbonda FM936: looks nice but I’m afraid it’s not very stiff.
-   Lexon Riot: looks gorgeous, but expensive and seems a little bit heavy
-   Lexon Genius 2022: looks lighter than previous one and more XC oriented
-   Lexon 258: but not sure of the geometry.
-   OG EVKVIN CF080: looks really nice but there’s not too much feedback on the web.
-   Any suggestion????
XXX thanks for your help and support.

RongGearRob

Re: Looking for the perfect XC Carbon frame
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 09:46:01 PM »
I was looking for an XC frame last year and after evaluating all of the options I went with the Lexon Riot. I'm running it with 120mm fork, I have been pleased with it so far and would buy it again.  While heavier than my old hard tail I haven't found it to be too heavy on the climbs.  Per AliExpress the Riot frame weight is 1950 while the Lexon Genius is 2150.  Good luck.

Boybiskit

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 05:23:53 PM »
I have an Airwolf YFM026 hardtail. I have had it since last summer and have had no significant issues with it. Customer service has been excellent (better than my past experience with euro and north american brands). If you search my past posts you'll see my '1 month in' thread. From my experience riding the bike quite hard, I would recommend it.

Some people have had issues with the fork hitting the downtube. This was not an issues for me on a large frame with a 51mm offset fork.

Some people seem to have had issues with the rear axle alignment. I think as long you're careful when you build the bike it's OK. I can see how you might get it wrong, but mine was fine.

I started with a 100mm travel fork (RS SID) and it was good but... I then fitted a 120mm Fox 34, which has transformed the bike! 

The axle, BB and headset that came with mine were fine. The driveside BB bearing died last week. I'm OK with that - it survived a nasty winter!

I also ordered a carbon seatpost and bar/stem combo with mine. I didn't use the seatpost for long (added a dropper) but the bar/stem is still there and performing well!

saintrider

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2022, 05:37:18 AM »
I went with Lexon 258 last year.......also like the Ryot.

Mmsfull

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2022, 09:08:17 AM »
why don't you consider bxt 077?

Patch64

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2022, 12:50:12 PM »
why don't you consider bxt 077?
I don't like too much the geometry, specially the chainstay length.
But for the price it's very good.

Flummox

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2022, 08:31:02 AM »
I have the Trifox sdy20, very light hard tail paired with a sid ultimate sl 100mm. My other bike is a lexon 258 with a 120mm sid ultimate. Also a very nice bike, maybe not the most modern geo but looks and rides very well.

pressedvinegar

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2022, 11:53:47 PM »
I have the Trifox sdy20, very light hard tail paired with a sid ultimate sl 100mm. My other bike is a lexon 258 with a 120mm sid ultimate. Also a very nice bike, maybe not the most modern geo but looks and rides very well.

I've got the bike on order.  Can you tell me what the chainline is?  52 or 55?  Would you use the M8100 or M8120 shimano crankset?

qwerty

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2022, 03:09:31 PM »
My small FM936 SL frame came in at bang on 1900g including fittings.

Seba MTB

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2022, 03:56:31 PM »
Maybe you should consider carbonda 909. My is typically for xc competition. Light, stiff, great on both descents and ascents.

Silverado123

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2022, 09:43:30 AM »
I have the Riot and enjoy it a lot. One of My favorite things about it is the fairly steep seat tube angle. Very comfy. Mine is a large and I have pretty light stuff on it other than the Pike, which isn't heavy by any means and my wheels which are around 1520 grams. Not heavy but not light in the bike world. My bike as it sits now is 27.3 pounds. Frankly, l don't know how to get it below 26. Sure freakishly expensive wheels, and a Sid wouldn't even bring it down that much. The point being is the Riot must not be that light of a frame. I really like mine but in the size large getting a 24 pounder or below is a no go if thats what you want
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 03:59:40 PM by Silverado123 »