Author Topic: RideNow TPU  (Read 2905 times)

kbike

RideNow TPU
« on: April 30, 2022, 05:25:48 PM »
Just got the RideNow TPU inner tubes and a patch kit. They are light and very thin.  They have 65mm plastic stem.  Most debate has been over tpu use on rim brake wheels.  RideNow user manual refers to minimum tire size,thermal warnings, and safe use for rim brakes. 
The manual suggests to lower tire pressure as air and tarmac temps get high from morning to afternoon. They also ask that you lower pressure 20psi before long descents. They also ask you to take breaks on decents.

I bought them for my disc brake wheels so not really concerned. I also will be using as a spare on my road rides even for my rim wheels. There is so much saving you could be extra cautious and take 2 ridenow spares and still be half the storage needed as a latex or butyl tube.

My latex 156g + butyl spare 100=256g
RideNow  3x34g = 102g
Saving 154g

I'm watching for issues that have scared me away from TPUs in the past.  Hard to find leaks. Hard to patch or patch later failing.  Leaking around valve.  I'm being extra careful attaching the pump to the valve. I don't want the plastic stem to stretch and oval out.

hazzer19

Re: RideNow TPU
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2022, 07:41:07 PM »
I have high hopes for these as well as they are reasonably priced, although the two that I bought pinched pretty quick... Planning to patch them. Going to buy their gravel version as a spare when available on Aliexpress and hopefully a patch kit at the same time.

damianpia

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2022, 02:00:11 AM »
I have these for like 900kms - the only issue was that after first 50kms one tube had a hole near the valve - I just put normal glued patch to it and it works like a charm!

hazzer19

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2022, 11:35:01 AM »
I have these for like 900kms - the only issue was that after first 50kms one tube had a hole near the valve - I just put normal glued patch to it and it works like a charm!

Update on mine: I've been using these for road for a few months and have a gravel version as a spare for that bike if tubeless fails.

I had issues a lot of punctures, more than normal it feels, but when it works it's been working well. It took me a few tries to figure out how to get the patches to stick but after some advice from RideNow and some more practice I've been able to successfully patch a few times. One tube had 3-4 patches and I eventually retired it. I also made the mistake of over inflating it a bit when patching it to the point where one of the sections deformed and expanded like a sore thumb so will try to prevent that next time.

Overall my experience has been good I would say, could be better, but they are much less expensive than the 1 Tubolito I have which is nice.

eeney

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2022, 06:45:13 PM »
I've had them in my front wheel for a few weeks, carbon rim brake setup, last week did 4 x 4km descents without any issue or concern. We have one very steep descent nearby that leaves wheels very hot, may try that in the future if I feel brave.

I haven't had any issues of any kind, I have the 65mm and 85mm valve versions of the Ridenow. I know have 5 tubes, which gives me 3 spares. I love how small they are in my saddle bag - so much so I've moved from a saddle back to a pocket pouch with tube, pump and multitool.

I normally ride latex and the TPU feels very similar in regards ride quality, just lighter and no need to keep pumping tires.

kbike

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2022, 10:39:39 PM »
I'm using these for 1 disc and 1 rim wheelset.
I've had 1 cut from glass that I patched. The glass cut my gp5000 so it would have done in all inner tubes. Tubeless with a plug might have worked.
 The patched tube still has a slow leak after patching it. I'm not using it til I figure out the slow overnight leak.

One tube came leaking brand new out of box.  I couldn't find the leak bubbling but after about 2 hrs it's flat. I basically gave up on that tube.

I have 3 gravel tubes. Never used them. I got them simply for spares.

I see huge discounts on these just gotta watch and buy in bulk.

carbonazza

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2022, 11:38:27 PM »
Isn't it the right time to consider the tubeless option ?  8)

kbike

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2022, 04:14:54 AM »
I ride tubeless with 32mm or larger tires. When I go smaller I still use tubes. Or using hookless wheels.

I still like tire pressures over 72psi on smaller tires. It's harder to mount smaller tubeless tires on 1 set of my rims. I change tires often and don't want to clean sealant out every week or two.

1Sigma

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2022, 08:12:58 AM »
Isn't it the right time to consider the tubeless option ?  8)

Im a tubeless convert, but appreciate that folks like running tubes for various reasons - higher pressure, ease of setup and swap, and good old “if it ain’t broke” mentality…
I got some of these for myself though to stuff in my jersey as backup!
Better than average - Extra Average