Author Topic: New Carbon Spoke Wheels(Hyper/Elite Drive) vs Sapim Spoke Wheels?  (Read 1227 times)

jungian

Put a deposit down for a SEKA Exceed RDC and trying to decide on a wheelset. Are the new blade carbon spokes that much better than a standard sapim spoke?

Been eyeballing Farsports Revo w/ carbon ti SP hub(on wheelsfar website), Winspace Hypers, Elite Drive, Speeder cycling's 45mm w/ carbon ti hub. Any other brands I should check out? Also any info on hub serviceability?

Thanks!

1Sigma

Re: New Carbon Spoke Wheels(Hyper/Elite Drive) vs Sapim Spoke Wheels?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2022, 10:57:43 PM »
As with all upgrades, they are marginally better.
They are lighter, have greater lateral stiffness, and are able to be threaded under higher tension than steel.

Will getting carbon spokes translate to measurably better performance? Well that depends on how far you already push the envelope of your equipment.  For many riders, their athletic ability is way below what their bikes are capable of, do they won't gain much with carbon spokes.

However, subjectively they will feel "snappier". Your off the line acceleration will feel faster, and it'll feel like more Watts are making it to the tires during sprints.   And for most of us, that makes it worth it.

Also, they are cool AF.

Seeing as you are building a marginal gains machine, based on your frame choice, I'd say go for the carbon spokes.
Winspace, Farsports, Elite all make fantastic carbon spoke wheel sets.

For the Elites, the hubs covers are screwed on. They require cone spanners to access the bearings.  On the plus side, they are very well protected from contamination during riding relative to plug-in covers found in most thru axle hubs.
On the downside, you'll need cone spanners to access them.

Better than average - Extra Average

jungian

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2022, 11:03:01 AM »

For the Elites, the hubs covers are screwed on. They require cone spanners to access the bearings.  On the plus side, they are very well protected from contamination during riding relative to plug-in covers found in most thru axle hubs.
On the downside, you'll need cone spanners to access them.

Great to know! Thank you for the insight!

patliean1

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2022, 12:53:42 PM »
Having also used both carbon-bladed spokes (Hyper 65s) and Sapim spokes (Farsports Ventoux and Scribe Wheels)...

I can say yes carbon spokes are lighter and marginally stiffer, but aren't as readily available if you need to replace a spoke. And like 1Sigma said most people don't ever push their frames/wheels to the limit to actually benefit from the marginal gains.

jungian

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2022, 11:37:21 PM »
Having also used both carbon-bladed spokes (Hyper 65s) and Sapim spokes (Farsports Ventoux and Scribe Wheels)...

I can say yes carbon spokes are lighter and marginally stiffer, but aren't as readily available if you need to replace a spoke. And like 1Sigma said most people don't ever push their frames/wheels to the limit to actually benefit from the marginal gains.

Thanks for the reply Pat! Watched your latest video and am definitely grateful for the hills in California haha.

1Sigma

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 01:39:52 PM »
Just for giggles on a Friday

5 pairs of 50mm DRIVE Rim wheelsets coming to Toronto.
Requested with black decals. I don't think too many people are keen on the silver decals.
Better than average - Extra Average