Author Topic: Clipless shoes  (Read 1680 times)

Greenred

Clipless shoes
« on: May 10, 2022, 08:02:16 AM »
Hi there looking for recommendations on clipless race or (light) mtb shoes, purpose is using it on my new road bike. Any experience with chiner shoes? I have only seen travevelo’s review of one pair that was not recommended. The other option would be a name brand model. Open to any suggestions.

1Sigma

Re: Clipless shoes
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 12:29:25 PM »
Ive heard (ie take with a grain of salt)...
Sidebike is reliable.
Santic ought to be, as they're a more recognized brand.
I know the chinacycling guy likes (liked?) Tiebao

I myself have used City Cycling/Hyper Cycling carbon soled shoes - they are the sharpest looking of the bunch.
They were fine until I tried to heat mold them. Contrary to the advertisement, they're not heat moldable - the glue had a lower melting point than the carbon resin.

In the end though,  this is one area where I'd buy locally.
The best shoe in the world still sucks if it doesn't agree with your feet...
Better than average - Extra Average

dsveddy

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2023, 10:06:30 AM »

They were fine until I tried to heat mold them. Contrary to the advertisement, they're not heat moldable - the glue had a lower melting point than the carbon resin.

Bont has the same issue, you should never tighten the fittings while they are warm, you need to squish them over your foot

bremerradkurier

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2023, 02:20:15 PM »
You can usually get 2-3 season old top tier name brand, carbon soled shoes from Merlin in the high 100 to low 200 USD price range which erases most of the cost advantage of the more expensive Sidebike/Boodun/Santic/City shoes

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2023, 02:45:57 AM »
I've got 2 pairs of the Shimano CX5 and I really like them. I bought one pair at 110€ i believe and the second pair is a size bigger for winter riding which I bought at 75€ during a sale... No need to go for cheap china shoes in my opinion... The fit of a shoe is very personal so it is best to get them from somewhere you can exchange them if they do not fit.

Crash217

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2023, 07:25:21 AM »
I recently stumbled onto the website www.sportpursuit.com  You have to sign up to view their site/prices. (its free) They sell closeouts on cycling and other outdoor gear.  Some crazy deals on there but size selection can be limited at times.

carbonazza

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2023, 07:59:25 AM »
I recently stumbled onto the website www.sportpursuit.com  You have to sign up to view their site/prices. (its free) They sell closeouts on cycling and other outdoor gear.  Some crazy deals on there but size selection can be limited at times.

They have sometimes good deals, the return are paying but works well and they have a very good support in case of troubles.
It is a business model where they collect our money, and then buy the items from a bankrupt company or some end of stocks.

In most cases, you can always find items at the same price or even lower when looking for the same products on Google.

They have as well their own brands too, that are kind of so-so( Rivelo, RULE#XIV, Isoobaa, Fjern,...), on which they make you feel you get a big discount while they are the only one selling them.
They build a mostly empty web site for each brand, with nice looking people that look cool in nature. To give them some credential.

I may look negative, but not, I bought a lot of things from them knowing the above.
Recently Sportful jerseys at Aliexpress like prices, and some Rapha garments.

privatesportshop.com has the same business model, and they could be recently connected as they start to sell the same stuff.

jonathanf2

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2023, 11:08:28 AM »
If you're in N. America or Europe, I just order cycling gear from the Adidas website. Their kit and shoes are mid tier, but fit better than most the AliEx stuff I tried. Plus they run big sales and deep discounts since cycling is like a side hustle. Plus they sell casual track/urban gear when you don't want to look like a full blown roadie.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 11:10:11 AM by jonathanf2 »

Crash217

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2023, 01:16:44 PM »
They have sometimes good deals, the return are paying but works well and they have a very good support in case of troubles.
It is a business model where they collect our money, and then buy the items from a bankrupt company or some end of stocks.

In most cases, you can always find items at the same price or even lower when looking for the same products on Google.

They have as well their own brands too, that are kind of so-so( Rivelo, RULE#XIV, Isoobaa, Fjern,...), on which they make you feel you get a big discount while they are the only one selling them.
They build a mostly empty web site for each brand, with nice looking people that look cool in nature. To give them some credential.

I may look negative, but not, I bought a lot of things from them knowing the above.
Recently Sportful jerseys at Aliexpress like prices, and some Rapha garments.

privatesportshop.com has the same business model, and they could be recently connected as they start to sell the same stuff.

I figured they were basically a middle man on closeouts with the low pricing and long ship times.   I found it nice that it took the hunting out of the process.

cestmoi

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2023, 02:25:17 AM »
These were from Amazon, but seemed to come straight from a Chinese seller.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BWJ6M71P?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

2 week wait, and they only arrived yesterday so I can't yet give you a report. I'll hopefully get out on them today or tomorrow and let you know.

carbonazza

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2023, 07:07:08 AM »
... so I can't yet give you a report. I'll hopefully get out on them today or tomorrow and let you know.

I look forward for your feedback, my winter shoes are at the end of their life.
I hope you'll get horrible conditions, for a proper test ;)

cestmoi

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2023, 08:47:16 AM »
***UPDATE***

I did a 20 mile ride today in them, in poor conditions; some rain, lots of puddles, lots of mud (this was a gravel ride mostly). The shoes kept my feet fairly dry; some water ingressed via the top of my (wet) sock.

Apart from that, nothing to report really. They worked well. I forgot I was wearing them. The only potential downside is that the elasticated ankle cuff has become muddy, and I'll need to clean that off before I dry them.

bremerradkurier

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2023, 09:12:33 AM »
Did you use silicone sealant around the cleats and sole slots?

cestmoi

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2023, 02:03:36 AM »
No. I never do that.

Another (shorter) ride yesterday, 10 miles or so, including walking through some shallow puddles. Worked, stayed dry.

Bigal

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2023, 06:20:26 AM »
Sidebike carbon. These purchased in 2020 for $130AUD . Can find them currently on Ali . Over 20,000 KM , as good as new.

Chuck the inners and get some decent ones with arch support