Author Topic: VeloBuild Headset Play Issue Using Separate Stem/Handlebar: Resolved.  (Read 8070 times)

coffeebreak

Re: VeloBuild Headset Play Issue Using Separate Stem/Handlebar: Resolved.
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2022, 02:56:23 PM »
An update on dust cap and headtube gap. Copying my response from GF002 thread -

————

Also an update on C ring and dust cap fitting about 1.7mm above the top of head tube - from a machinist friend I got my dust cap/base sanded off by a 0.6-0.7mm on the inside (outer part is untouched but the part that rests on C ring is now deeper by 0.7mm) this has solved the problem of unnecessarily large gap.

The dust cap now sits just about 1mm above head tube. Since it rotates, I didn’t want go any more deeper or add spacers. There is no headset play after tightening the top cap.

Anyone having same issue - this something that I won’t recommend doing at home with Dremel (like I originally thought and quickly abandoned ship).

————

This last part, thanks to Eucalyptus.

eucalyptus

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2022, 04:04:54 PM »
An update on dust cap and headtube gap. Copying my response from GF002 thread -

————

Also an update on C ring and dust cap fitting about 1.7mm above the top of head tube - from a machinist friend I got my dust cap/base sanded off by a 0.6-0.7mm on the inside (outer part is untouched but the part that rests on C ring is now deeper by 0.7mm) this has solved the problem of unnecessarily large gap.

The dust cap now sits just about 1mm above head tube. Since it rotates, I didn’t want go any more deeper or add spacers. There is no headset play after tightening the top cap.

Anyone having same issue - this something that I won’t recommend doing at home with Dremel (like I originally thought and quickly abandoned ship).

————

This last part, thanks to Eucalyptus.

Very glad you got it sorted in the end! A friend with the right tools is always good to have, I have asked for help on many occasions from people better suited for the job  :) ;D
Thanks for the mention too, made my day!

As a matter of fact I actually just finished my headset dilemma today ! What a coincidence. I have shared it on Weightweenies with pictures of how it started and what the finished product looks like. It has been hours and hours of filing and trying to get the right fit with various parts.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=171366

Liter

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2022, 08:50:26 AM »
Very glad you got it sorted in the end! A friend with the right tools is always good to have, I have asked for help on many occasions from people better suited for the job  :) ;D
Thanks for the mention too, made my day!

As a matter of fact I actually just finished my headset dilemma today ! What a coincidence. I have shared it on Weightweenies with pictures of how it started and what the finished product looks like. It has been hours and hours of filing and trying to get the right fit with various parts.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=171366

Great work but that is just so much trouble for something that should be so simple.

Bike and component manufactures need to get together and actually come up with a standard, not only to make thinks simpler but also to ensure safety. We are dealing with the most crucial/important part of the bike which is the fork/cockpit interface.

My 177 is working great with the Deda Superbox but I´m always worried if this solution is safe long term, will get my back checked by the mechanic next week to see if the carbon steerer has any marks. I don´t think I´m going back to big bike brands but this little details with stem/steerer in chinese direct brands need to fixed.

patliean1

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2022, 08:59:49 AM »
Heads up:

FSA / Full Speed Ahead is having a Black Friday sale currently. 25% off everything.

Been using the NO.69/SRS headset and cover on my VB177. Works very well.

mesosbrodleto

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2022, 12:18:57 PM »
Heads up:

FSA / Full Speed Ahead is having a Black Friday sale currently. 25% off everything.

25% only in the US shop...  :'(

Anyway, is that suitable for the integrated handlebar?

bichler.bua

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2022, 10:12:13 AM »

Hi Patty,

stem slammed, as usual? Would love to see a picture of how the round NO.69/SRS headset interfaces with the oval shaped Velobuild stem.
If you were to use spacers, these would be round, I assume - not sure this integrates nicely from a clean shape perspective?

patliean1

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2022, 12:18:17 PM »
Would love to see a picture of how the round NO.69/SRS headset interfaces with the oval shaped Velobuild stem.

I'm using my own stem because I need a 130mm -17  :o

bichler.bua

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2023, 05:31:27 AM »
Adding to this elder thread as this is an ongoing issue for me on my VB-R-099.
I requested the updated C-clip from Chris at Velobuild. Per his statement the R-099 was not affected while I certainly had an issue with headset play.
Re-did the cabling, while doing so changed back to compressionless housing and put in the new C-clip.
Still could not get rid of the headset play, while trying to adjust it I realized another issue with the external stem and handlebar combo.
When you tighten the cap bolt, the cap actually starts deforming and moving side ways - so most of the bolt tension is wasted in the top cap and not in compressing the actual headset.
Cut and glued together some washers, which allowed compressing the system and removing the play from the headset.
Currently freezing and snowing over here, so missing test rides if this finally solved the issue.

My bottom line: the headset design has quite a few tolerances, removing all of them requires careful assembly and potentially changing C-clip or adding washers / shims.
imo the steam design and top cap are not sufficient to remove the headset play, I believe many people resolved it with actually swapping the stem to FSA or deda systems.

patliean1

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2023, 12:20:31 PM »
FSA NO.69/SRS headset allows you to use whatever handlebar/stem combo you want.

While it's not the best looking system ever, it is the most pragmatic solution. You don't even need the supplied headset bearings just the c-ring and headset cover to route the cables. Price appears to be half off.

https://www.fsaproshop.com/products/no-69-srs

bichler.bua

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2023, 02:13:07 AM »
FSA NO.69/SRS headset allows you to use whatever handlebar/stem combo you want.

While it's not the best looking system ever, it is the most pragmatic solution. You don't even need the supplied headset bearings just the c-ring and headset cover to route the cables. Price appears to be half off.

https://www.fsaproshop.com/products/no-69-srs

Hi Patty,

true, swapping the headset (mostly the C-ring and headset cover) is part or an option of solving the headset play issue.
If you allow, the "downside" of the NO.69/SRS is that you have to use round spacers on top (you don't, stem slammed ;)) which changes the appearance compared to the oval spacers of other integrated solutions.
But my point really was: you will also have to swap out the stem, Velobuild's stem cap is too weak to allow removing the play from the system.
Or, if you keep the Velobuild stem: use an alternative and improved method than the supplied stem cap when adjusting headset play.

coffeebreak

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2023, 10:23:46 AM »
That stem cap is definitely an issue. I wish they stuck with simpler round cap instead of a fancy aero shape. Mine doesn't (never) fit flush even after tightening. My headset actually came with a round cap but it doesn't fit. I guess it's just a standard kit that they get from somewhere and slap their own designed cap.

jr223

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2023, 08:46:19 PM »
Got my VBR 168 mid-jan.

C clip comes without those knobs now, and the compression plug comes with both the aero shape cape and a round cap. The aero-shaped one seems different than the two bolt style I've seen in other people's pics. I ended up just using the round cap because it fit flush better.

No headset play, cut my tube about 4mm below the hand bar clamp.

bichler.bua

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2023, 02:31:58 AM »
Got my VBR 168 mid-jan.

C clip comes without those knobs now, and the compression plug comes with both the aero shape cape and a round cap. The aero-shaped one seems different than the two bolt style I've seen in other people's pics. I ended up just using the round cap because it fit flush better.

No headset play, cut my tube about 4mm below the hand bar clamp.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Separate stem and handlebar or integrated? Would be great to see pictures.
I think somebody already mentioned this in the groupset post in the context of L-TWOO:
On the one hand it is great to see problems being addressed and fixes getting implemented. But ongoing design changes without tracking revisions or clear communication is certainly a chillenge....

coffeebreak

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2023, 12:13:01 PM »
Pictures please! I will be down for a round cap if it fits better.

jr223

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2023, 01:06:01 PM »
Here you go.

The c clip is identical just without the knobs so not going to bother taking it apart for a pic.