Author Topic: VeloBuild Headset Play Issue Using Separate Stem/Handlebar: Resolved.  (Read 10161 times)

baua

Re: VeloBuild Headset Play Issue Using Separate Stem/Handlebar: Resolved.
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2023, 07:35:15 AM »
Hello everyone,

to tighten the headset I just put a .25 mm metal shim on top of the c clip. The ring is so soft, that You do not need to cut anything out, the cables just press the ring against the fork.

Here is the link to the thing I bought: https://www.ebay.com/itm/143987321323

bvhaute

« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2023, 05:16:58 PM »
I am also suffering from the headset play issue and ordered 0.25mm microspacers, hoping this will resolve my problem. But because the c-ring has two tabs (see attached pictured), I wonder how this microspacers will fit onto them ? Do I need to drill two holes  in the microspacers in order to fit them onto the two tabs?

hazzer19

« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2023, 05:37:56 PM »
I've had the new C ring for some time now but forgot I did and hadn't installed it on my GF-002 until a couple of days ago. Before with the old C ring I could compress the headset fine when tightening it but after one ride it became loose again. I've only done one longer/rougher gravel ride with the new C ring but so far so good! Headset is still compressed and hasn't come loose like it used it right away.

hazzer19

« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2023, 05:40:28 PM »
I am also suffering from the headset play issue and ordered 0.25mm microspacers, hoping this will resolve my problem. But because the c-ring has two tabs (see attached pictured), I wonder how this microspacers will fit onto them ? Do I need to drill two holes  in the microspacers in order to fit them onto the two tabs?

I think you have the old C ring and could benefit from using the new one which has a smaller cut out and no tabs. If you email VB they should sort you out.

coffeebreak

« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2023, 08:15:27 PM »

I think you have the old C ring and could benefit from using the new one which has a smaller cut out and no tabs. If you email VB they should sort you out.

Do you have the old vs new picture? I think I have the new C ring but that was in November 2022. Is there another revision after that?

bichler.bua

« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2023, 10:50:15 AM »
Do you have the old vs new picture? I think I have the new C ring but that was in November 2022. Is there another revision after that?

Here you are, old on the left, updated on the right. Height 10.6mm vs. 11.0mm, on the second picture you can see the new version with less cutout, improving the tilting of the old version.
As mentioned in many posts: this is not only the compression ring, the separate stem and its top cap have an issue, as well, there were issues with compression plugs but also tolerances of Velobuild frames come into play (IMO).
In the end the customer has to solve for one or more of these issues...painful but good luck!

coffeebreak

« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2023, 11:17:28 AM »
I have the revised ring. I was wondering if there was another update to it. It's been out for quite some time but Hazzers reply made me think if it got updated again.

bvhaute

« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2023, 06:52:43 PM »

I received the microspacers today, so I dismantled my headset and it seems like I have the revised compression ring (without the tabs). I installed three microspacers and the problem is solved now. I have cut a piece from the microspacers so they fit on the compession ring.
So it seems that the problem is not resolved with the new compression ring. So my guess is that maybe the dimensions of the compression ring are not consistent, or the dimensions of the steerer tube are not consistent... Velobuild  really needs to do a thorough root cause analysis on this issue!!!

BerndSon

« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2023, 03:21:10 PM »
Here you go.

The c clip is identical just without the knobs so not going to bother taking it apart for a pic.

test post bcs. i cant load page 4 of this thread. Please pm me if you are able to see this reply

bvhaute

« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2023, 04:52:02 PM »
Same here. I cant load page 4 of this forum topic when I'm logged in. I always get an error message. What is strange is that I do can load page 4 when I'm logged out.

bichler.bua

« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2023, 04:38:59 AM »
TEST

bichler.bua

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2024, 10:18:17 AM »
EMPTY POST TO CREATE NEW PAGE

bichler.bua

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2024, 10:18:25 AM »

bichler.bua

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2024, 10:18:32 AM »

bichler.bua

« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2024, 10:18:38 AM »