Author Topic: New IP-057 Build  (Read 18449 times)

foamman1

New IP-057 Build
« on: November 11, 2014, 04:17:06 PM »
Hey everyone,
 I have been shopping for a new mtb for about 6 months. I have been ridding a MonGoose wally world special. It's a pig at 38lbs but it has served me well. After reading every thread in this forum and so many that my eyes are crossed in the mtb forums i still have a ton of unanswered questions. I have come to the conclusion that it may be simpler to build a hard tail rather than a full suspention since it is my first build.
 So this it what i have come up with so far. It looks like the IP-057 looks popular as well as the 256. I was leaning toward the IP-057 as i am not crazy about the wishbone behind the seat post. So a few questions for now.
1. When you order from IP has anyone been charged import taxes/ fees? I have heard or radio control items from china coming labeled as  a gift to avoid taxes.
2. I am 175 lbs 5' 9" tall. I ride mostly single track trails.  No big hills or drops, but lots of roots and I mean alot of roots with small drops 1'+/- . Would the IP-057 be well suited for this type of ridding? Would another frame be a better choice?
This is my first build so any advice/pitfall warnings  would be appreciated.

Sitar_Ned

Re: New IP-057 Build
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 07:05:37 PM »
From what I can tell, the odds of getting hit up on the taxes/fees are pretty low. My guess is less than 5%, but that is an absolute guess based on no data whatsoever so take it for what you will.

As for your frame choice.. First of all, you're coming from a Mongoose wally world special so this is going to be a HUGE upgrade for you and you're going to be blown away by how much more fun it is to ride a better bike. Especially a higher end carbon one like you intend to build.

Now that that's out of the way.. Like you, I wasn't a fan of the wishbone on the 256, but so far I haven't heard of one single complaint about that particular part of the frame. I certainly don't think you should let it be your deciding factor. I own the 057 and between it and the 256.. I honestly think I'd be equally happy with either. I avoided the 256 at the time bc it hadn't been out long enough to have built up a good reputation within the community. Also, there was a fairly significant waiting period for the 256. I don't think either of those are really concerns at this point.. Like I said, haven't heard of a single complaint about the durability and quality of the 256, and it's more readily available now, as well.

So.. now that I just made you second guess your decision lol, allow me to go one further and say that it really sounds like what you want is a full squish but don't wan more complexity added to your first build. While that's understandable, it's really not much more complex.. maybe just a little, but not enough for it to make you sway one way or the other. Just do a bit more research to pick out the proper shock, and installing it isn't all too hard.

I apologize if I didn't exactly answer your question but if your trails are as rooty as you say, and you were already kinda wanting a full squish, and your Mongoose I'm guessing is already a full squish..  Then perhaps you should give the full suspension route a bit more consideration? If your budget allows, don't worry about getting through the build.. ask as any questions and post as many pics or videos that you need and we'll talk you through it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 07:07:31 PM by Sitar_Ned »

cmh

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 06:43:19 AM »
So this it what i have come up with so far. It looks like the IP-057 looks popular as well as the 256. I was leaning toward the IP-057 as i am not crazy about the wishbone behind the seat post. So a few questions for now.

What is it about the wishbone you don't like? If it's just a visual thing, I understand that, but that design has been used for many years in frames of all different materials.

2. I am 175 lbs 5' 9" tall. I ride mostly single track trails.  No big hills or drops, but lots of roots and I mean alot of roots with small drops 1'+/- . Would the IP-057 be well suited for this type of ridding? Would another frame be a better choice?
This is my first build so any advice/pitfall warnings  would be appreciated.

Sounds like you might want a suspension frame, like Sitar_Ned said. Really it's no more complicated except you have to find a rear shock of the right size and the proper bushings, but that's pretty easy. Then again, if you have an out-of-the-saddle riding style, the hardtail might work fine for the roots.

foamman1

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 09:52:03 AM »
 I think the thing that i most disliked about the 256 was the poor position of the bottom pull derailer tube. I have seen some pics with some crazy cable routing. May be in real life they may work fine. Not being familiar with the different style  of derailers I feared I would have do deal with a set up that  was troublesome.
 As far as the full suspension. When i first started looking at a new bike the only thing that i was considering was a FS because that is what i was ridding. The suspension is so limited on what I am currently riding,  it just as well be full ridged. I was also considering FS because I am 41yrs old and have AS(this is rheumatoid arthritis of the spine). But after considering quality front suspension and the compliance of carbon and 29" vrs 26" that i currently ride  I thought that it would be a vast improvement of what i have now. I have never been on a carbon bike, but the riders on the trails i ride seem to think that the hard tails are fine. I don't mind getting out of the saddle to pedal over the roots, but i prefer to sit.
 The hard tail was appealing for the simplicity, weight and pedaling efficiency. Any input on what my expectations of the HT or FS should be would be helpful.
By the way i have the reba 100mm fork /tapered on delivery for this afternoon(i found a good deal and couldn't pass it up).

Andy

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 07:10:33 PM »
Got a good source for Reba inexpensive let us know.  Thanks,
Andy
IP 036
LTK 023

foamman1

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 08:31:18 PM »
Have you ever lost something. It is so frustrating to loose something. Funny thing. I have been searching for a good deal on a reba or manitou tower pro for a month. I ran across a new reba from someone on mtb forums. It came with a frame combo so the story goes. As advertised as never used. The pics looked as though a headset was never installed ie. no marks on the steer tube. I negotiated for 325 shipped. I payed my money and about one hour later i was cruising one of the forums and rand across an advertisement for chain reaction cycles for 20% off in the cart. So i Go to the web site plug in the exact reba i just bought  and it was about 10 dollars less than i just paid. Still fair enough. I did a shopping cart with some components slx brakes, xt sprockets and such. During the night my computer updated and and all is lost. I cant for the life of me remember what the code was, and i didn't write it down. although i wrote down the regular prices compared to 20% off prices. I have been trying to find that code again and can't for the life of me. If someone finds it or one for merlin's  please pass it along.
Best prices on a reba will be at Merlins or CRC. State side i would look at Price point. Arts has 15% of (SAVE15) in the cart for the items that i bought, but he only has some of the high end rockshox forks.

Andy

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 09:43:30 PM »
No problem Foamman if you do come up with the coupon code let us know.  Thanks!

foamman1

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 10:31:40 AM »
After exchanging emails with Peter at XMI-Play for a bout a week i found it could be as much as 45 day before shipping. While i don't mind waiting, as he seems to be one of  the preferred vendors for the 057. Would anyone care to comment on other vendors frames or customer service such as Hong-Fu bikes, Deng-Fu or Lite bikes.  I have read through the 3oo+ page thread on MTB forums. It was hard to keep up with what were the better frames or vendors with so much of topic discussion. I know that ordering a frame from an out of country vendor is like rolling the dice. I just don't want to order a frame that has a high or above average failure rate.
Thanks Again,
L.T.

jwilds1

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 06:09:13 PM »
After exchanging emails with Peter at XMI-Play for a bout a week i found it could be as much as 45 day before shipping.

Welcome to the party!!!  I'm on day 35 of what was originally projected to be 20-25 days...

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 08:18:24 PM »
Hi Foemman1, I have both an IP-057 and an IP-036 FS Chiner as well as a couple discs in my lower back that are not in as good of condition as I would like.  The advice I have to offer is that both carbon bikes are good but depending on the trails you ride, you might want to lean towards the FS IP-036 if you would benefit from a bit more comfort on your rides.  The trails I ride are a bit tougher on a hardtail, my FS bikes take some of the edge off and allows me to ride a few more miles with a bit less fatigue.

The carbon hardtail smoothes out the small vibrations but the FS does that as well as smoothing out the trail.  Also, maybe Peter has an IP-036 he can ship to you sooner.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

foamman1

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 08:01:56 AM »
Yea no luck on the 036. The only frame from  Iplay currently with bsa bb is the 256 in 15". I seem to remember that peter linked Iplay to cbf store on ebay in the 300 + page thread on mtb forums. I haven't looked at ebay much as they seem to be second rated, cosmetic flaws or other issues that i want to avoid.  Peter if you are reading can you confirm that iplay and cbf ebay store are on in the same?

brmeyer135

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 01:46:04 PM »
Have you tried Hongfu or Deng-fu or Miracle- believe they all get the frames from the same place and sell the same models with different names.

Squishee

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 02:12:34 PM »
After exchanging emails with Peter at XMI-Play for a bout a week i found it could be as much as 45 day before shipping.

Welcome to the party!!!  I'm on day 35 of what was originally projected to be 20-25 days...

Bert told me 30-45 days on a 057. Is Peter better to deal with? There seems to be some "lost in translation" going on with Bert.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 02:39:46 PM by Squishee »

MTB2223

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 03:58:19 PM »

Bert told me 30-45 days on a 057. Is Peter better to deal with? There seems to be some "lost in translation" going on with Bert.
They're representing the same company, XmiPlay/iPlay, and the same service and quality. But I think Peter's English is better than Bert's (and mine ;) ).
But I can tell you, I had to wait more than 45 days on my IP256SL and it was really worth it. Don't have any regrets. The 057 is the same quality, cheaper, well proven and I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun when the build is done. You will forget the waiting.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 09:19:25 AM by MTB2223 »

foamman1

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 07:57:02 PM »
  Well it looks like I'll be pulling the trigger on the HongFu 057. I have been speaking with Cherry at HongFu. Easy enough to deal with so far. And from what i can interpret on the monster thread at MTB HongFu seems to be at the top of the pile with iplay. Hongfu has a pretty decent inventory, may be low volume but a decent variety.  Pricing is only slightly higher than iplay.

brmeyer135- I did also talk to deng fu, resonponse was fast as well, but being new to this forum and MTB forum I haven't read enough about dengfu to be comfortable with using them. I didn't contact  Miracle bike as  i know even less about them.

Squishee- I have only had communications with peter at iplay. He was prompt with replies, though i did get that lost in translation felling a little. Peter did mention that it could be less than 45 maybe 30 days, so bert and peter are on the same page. Even with the 45 day wait i still gave them serious consideration, because their frames seem to have the least negative feedback. Its just 45 days waiting, maybe and then 10 or 15 shipping , that puts you 60 day out. I live in the deeeep south. Winter only last till about the middle of January, and most of you in the north wouldn't hesitate to ride on what i call an inside day. I do feel that if your package arrives and there are no problems you will forget about the wait.
 On a side note. I ordered a cargo trailer about 10 years ago from a well know brand. I wanted a silver one, and all they had was white. The salesman said 30 days. I paid and 35 days later i called. Still 30-45 more days. I waited patiently. On the 45th day i showed up. I got the runaround, blaa, blaa. Two weeks later out of the blue it shows up. The moral of the story weather you are dealing with a salesman, contractor or what ever- once they have your money you have little or no control.
  I also wanted to correct myself. I mentioned in an earlier post about ipaly being connected to a ebay store cbf. I went back and read a little closer. Peter referred to cbf store only to compare his pricing to theirs. It looks as though a_baygoods and fly-xii and cbf are all the same vendor or sale the same identical products. It looks like the stock photos taken on the same sidewalks along with an unusual mix of the same items (bike parks and motorcycle covers).