Author Topic: Onirii M2 and M4 hydraulic disc brakes  (Read 10113 times)

Bajker

Re: Onirii M2 and M4 hydraulic disc brakes
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2022, 08:33:19 AM »
dunno about bleed cups and i doubt you'll get much sense from Onirii.. i've been trying to find out from what the equivalent pad they use would be but they can't or wont tell me beyond that they use their own E4 pads... anyone one recognise the shape?

Could be Hope M4/E4, Shimano m755 pads?

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2022, 03:54:18 PM »
Would really kill my interest in these if the pads where proprietary tbh

Confused

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2022, 09:42:18 PM »
The pads look similar to Shimano 4 pots - except for the horns on the outer part.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 09:46:23 PM by Confused »

Fat Larry

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2022, 04:56:34 AM »
5 pots?

Lovewookie

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2022, 09:15:04 AM »

Fat Larry

« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 06:27:32 PM by Fat Larry »

Confused

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2022, 09:47:07 PM »
5 pots?

Oops - dang near created a new category
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 07:57:23 AM by Confused »

AV_RIDER

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2022, 04:58:26 AM »
These look identical to the hope v4 pads, right down to the pad retention screw.

Lovewookie

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2022, 07:24:09 AM »
They arrived today, and my, they are pretty.

ordered on the 2nd June, so 22 days to the door (UK)

They came in a air pocket pack, no box, but all fine and no damage.

front came fully bled and set up, rear came with the caliper attached to the hose, and the lever separate, plus a bag of gubbins.

they'll go on my tame trails bike, less chance of me killing myself if they fail. 

I'll update when I've got them fitted.

Fat Larry

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2022, 09:27:38 PM »
Silver looks great. If i buy some i'd want silver 4 pot versions. Which of course are not available :/

Lovewookie

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2022, 05:55:50 AM »
Finally got round to fitting them a few days ago, after a bout of illness has stopped me going out.

So not used in anger yet, but I thought I'd give a few details on how it's gone.

Firstly, they come set up front left hand. which, being British is all wrong for me. First thing to do was swap the levers.

This was as easy as it is with any brake. 8mm spanner at the lever, undo, pull out hose, swap round and luckily no need for a new olive.

The hose is fairly flexible, but doesn't seem to need, nor come with, a barbed end reinforcing thingamy.

Now, I said the separate lever and caliper and hose didn't come filled. that was wrong. the lever has a screw in cap in the end with 10mm spanner flats. the hose has a small screw with a rubber seal to seal the end. fitting is a doddle. cut to length, remove caps and screw, fit lever rubber cap, screw thread compression bit and olive. pop it all together and nip it up.

in theory you shouldn't need to bleed it. however I will. I say will, as the bleed nipples are not a size I've got. the caliper end is M3 (I think), the lever end is M5. I have a multi size kit coming, so I'll update on ease of bleed and exact sizes.

Fitting the calipers to the bike is easy, as you'd expect. The levers are easy enough, it's a similar type setup as avid/sram used, a wrap around clamp with a bolt that runs through the lever but it's worth noting that the edges of the clamp are quite sharp, so watch those carbon bars and make sure the bolt is undone more than needed when adjusting the angle of the lever.
The lever fixing bolt is a torx, couldn't say exactly which size, a T20 sort of fits, but is slack. T25 doesn't fit. it's like a t23, if that was even a size. fairly typical for chinese bolts to be a more vague size than expected. it is steel though, and you do need to give it a bit more effort to close the clamp. I'm going to look for replacements fairly quickly.

Back to the calipers, the pads on the X2 are shimano G04/G03 size. The stock pads look cheaper than anything I've seen before. I swapped them out with a set of used pads from my SLX/XT brakes to give them a try.

Aligning the calipers is easy, but for my bike needed a little fine tuning as they run close to the rotor.

first 'up and down the road' brake test was a little underwhelming. modulation was good, but ultimate power seemed to taper off a little. Now, I'm 90kg (give or take a few portions of cheesecake) and run a 180 rotor up front and 160 at the back, so figured maybe that was it. Then they started to squeal...and squeal.

so, back to the workshop to remove the glazing from the pads and clean them up.

decided to go with new pads instead of the well used ones, just to give the brakes a fair trial.

bought new resin pads, didn't want to risk the additional heat build up from sintered, even though they are my preferred in shimano brakes. Cleaned up the rotors with brake cleaner, cleaned up the caliper pistons, just to make sure there was no oil in there too, a light sanding of the new pads prior to fitting and out I go for a couple of road hill reps to bed the pads in.

immediately different from the near outset.

Modulation is on par with my shimano's, albeit the final bite comes a little longer in, but ultimate power had me endoing down the hill, even with my butt hanging off the back of the saddle. All pretty controllable too, had a couple of nice nose rollers balanced, to my surprise.

The lever feels firm to use, little flex in the lever and only a bit in the lever body on the bar. It has enough shape not to be too narrow and not to wide. it reminds me of the feel of my old Hope Mono Mini's, but with more bite.

ultimate proof will be in the longer riding though, but so far, I'm hopeful (no pun intended)

:-)

Fat Larry

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2022, 08:49:33 AM »
Thanks for the write up. So they have almost no modulation like Shimanos?

Keen to hear your longer term impressions when you have formed them.

Schumo

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2022, 09:40:37 AM »

Lovewookie

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2022, 03:49:59 AM »
Thanks for the write up. So they have almost no modulation like Shimanos?

was out for a short ride last night with them. they have more modulation than shimano's. My Xt 2 pot's just seem to bite, with a little give, but it's quite a short window.

These, rather unsurprisingly, feel more linear. there's a fair bit of travel to get to the bite point, however I think that's more to do with the really strong pad springs I have, pushing the pistons back, rather than just keeping the pads in place. once at the bite, there's maybe 1.5x the lever travel once you hit the bite point to getting full power.

That took a bit of getting used to. I like the shimano's for their warp speed into anything and brake late, but you need to be quite subtle with feathering etc. these, no problem, grab a bit of brake and squeeze more for more power.

I'll try a few tricks to get the bite point a bit closer and see how they go.

one thing I did realise though, is that on my local trails, I brake a lot less than I thought. :-/