Author Topic: Onirii M2 and M4 hydraulic disc brakes  (Read 10111 times)

Fat Larry

Re: Onirii M2 and M4 hydraulic disc brakes
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2022, 07:31:05 PM »
^ Doesn't sound good..

Lovewookie

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2022, 04:10:18 AM »
That's a decent breakdown of them. there are quite a few sharp edges, some need a bit of buffing, mainly those that are in contact with the bars, to prevent point pressure.

The calipers have a rough finish on the inside around the pistons. Although I never thought it would be that much of a problem. they're cheap brakes, it's a hidden area.

he reported caliper flex is a bit worrying, can't say I'd noticed it in use, but....I'd not really looked. I'll need to keep an eye on that, if it looks like it's flexing more than it should I'll def need to watch out for cracking.

The comment about the lever piston diameter is interesting, admittedly it's not something I'd considered as most manufacturers for their mainstream brakes, I thought got piston seals in x size, so make the pistons to suit! there are notable exceptions, I guess.

It's not that they lack power, they don't deliver it in the same way as a servo wave brake. Over the next few rides I'm going to try a few different things, one of which will be swap out shimano levers onto the caliper, and shimano caliper onto the z race levers and see if each end behaves differently to stock. plus look at what impact fitting better hose has. the stock hose is really flexible.

Confused

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2022, 09:32:11 PM »
Any additional updates? I have a set of 4 pots on the way to try out. Installing a banjo bolt and bleed nipple are on the list of things to test.

Fat Larry

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2022, 02:51:27 AM »
I'm keen for any longer term updates on these as well.

Lovewookie

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2022, 11:42:25 AM »
mine still work, haven;t leaked and haven't changed in performance.

still not got around to changing hoses etc, but they're doing fine, even through my mildly neglectful attitude toward my ride anything bike.

Stijn 23

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2022, 01:46:30 AM »
Any new updates? It seems that Zrace now has changed the red caliper bolt to grey for more minimalistic look. IIIpro E2 and E4 also seem to offer the same brake but in different colors. Yet I see some differences between photo's (even on same product page). Some levers have drilled holes, others don't. Some have a turning knob for lever travel, others just have a bolt. Seems like a bit of a gamble on which version you will receive. However these are just minimal points. would like to know some real life experience on these brakes. Would be intrested in buying a set for my gravelish XC bike. Could help to get weight down to around 7kg without breaking the bank

Fat Larry

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2022, 10:06:38 PM »
That's a decent breakdown of them. there are quite a few sharp edges, some need a bit of buffing, mainly those that are in contact with the bars, to prevent point pressure.

The calipers have a rough finish on the inside around the pistons. Although I never thought it would be that much of a problem. they're cheap brakes, it's a hidden area.

he reported caliper flex is a bit worrying, can't say I'd noticed it in use, but....I'd not really looked. I'll need to keep an eye on that, if it looks like it's flexing more than it should I'll def need to watch out for cracking.

The comment about the lever piston diameter is interesting, admittedly it's not something I'd considered as most manufacturers for their mainstream brakes, I thought got piston seals in x size, so make the pistons to suit! there are notable exceptions, I guess.

It's not that they lack power, they don't deliver it in the same way as a servo wave brake. Over the next few rides I'm going to try a few different things, one of which will be swap out shimano levers onto the caliper, and shimano caliper onto the z race levers and see if each end behaves differently to stock. plus look at what impact fitting better hose has. the stock hose is really flexible.

Did you get to swapping them around with the shimano stuff? How are they holding up?

Zomb1e

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2022, 08:18:33 AM »
So I received my IIIPRO E4, which are exactly the same as upgraded version of Onirii M4 (also available on Ali now). These brakes have perforated levers and tool-free reach adjust. I ordered them in purple color (and to be honest it was the main reason of buying them). Weight difference with my old 2-pot Formula RX is less then 10 grams for the whole set (and Formulas are heavier though). I haven't noticed any caliper flex, that was reported by German guy for M2 model. So far I've installed only front brake and made one short ride on mostly flat terrain. Conditions were not the best for brake testing (a lot of muddy roots and fallen leaves), but front brake seems to have enough power (stoppie without problems), at least with 180mm rotor. I also like short travel of lever (in this aspect it feels a lot like old Formulas produced before 2013) and its square-ish profile.

federic000

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2022, 02:36:08 AM »
hi all I'm also looking for a backup brake set, do you have any suggestion about choosing Onirii, IIIPRO, or ZRACE? or any other?
they look all the same for me but for example I would prefer buying from an established/well known seller on Ali.
thx

Zomb1e

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2022, 02:45:38 AM »
hi all I'm also looking for a backup brake set, do you have any suggestion about choosing Onirii, IIIPRO, or ZRACE? or any other?
they look all the same for me
They are not only look the same, they are the same (with different branding, which is common for Chinese stuff). The only difference between them is that there are "first version" (Onirii, Zrace) and "upgraded version" (IIIPro and Onirii again), and both versions are available now. Difference is in drilled levers, reach adjust knobs and brake pads. Zrace also seems to offer both pad styles.

federic000

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2022, 02:53:56 PM »
They are not only look the same, they are the same (with different branding, which is common for Chinese stuff). The only difference between them is that there are "first version" (Onirii, Zrace) and "upgraded version" (IIIPro and Onirii again), and both versions are available now. Difference is in drilled levers, reach adjust knobs and brake pads. Zrace also seems to offer both pad styles.

Thanks zombie, however on the 2 pistons i can't see difference on the levers, is it the new lever on 4 pistons only ?

Thx

Zomb1e

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2022, 06:00:48 PM »
Thanks zombie, however on the 2 pistons i can't see difference on the levers, is it the new lever on 4 pistons only ?
Yep, it seems that new lever and reach adjust knob are only for 4-piston model (at least till now). And all 2-pot brakes with different branding are all the same.

federic000

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2022, 11:05:18 PM »
For this price range I can find a set of magura's mt4 estop, i don't believe it's worth the effort to try these onirii's honestly. What is it actually this caliper flex phenomenon?

Zomb1e

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2022, 04:13:45 AM »
For this price range I can find a set of magura's mt4 estop, i don't believe it's worth the effort to try these onirii's honestly. What is it actually this caliper flex phenomenon?
Go with magura for sure if you are able to get a set for sub-$100. About caliper flex see last post on page 2 of this thread. And it seems to be an issue only for 2-pot version.

Tijoe

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2022, 03:46:54 PM »
The IIIPro E4 hyd. brake set I ordered Nov 2rd arrived yesterday.   I temporarily installed the front brake on my latest build.  (It will be several months before this bike hits the road)
From my perspective, the caliper's body and  hydraulic handle body are very good CNC'd single-piece units.   They appear to be of good quality.
Due to the post about the "caliper flex" I measured the gap between sides of the cylinder then applied as much force as I could on the brake lever, and with the pressure applied, took a second measurement.  No deflection measured.   (Unless the Calipers can become really hot and then expand/deflect, I didn't see any flexing on the brake cylinder body.

Edit:  I had a problem where no matter how I tried, I could not get the brake lever/clamp to fit onto my 22.22mm OD Carbon bars.  I ended up having to slightly slot the hole that mounts the clamp by .003in outwards.  Then all fit well.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 04:04:47 PM by Tijoe »