Author Topic: New Wheelset - Magene Exar DB58Pro Disc  (Read 3944 times)

patliean1

New Wheelset - Magene Exar DB58Pro Disc
« on: June 06, 2022, 04:13:16 PM »
Howdy lovely people,

These just arrived from China (technically BC, Canada): Magene EXAR DB58Pro Disc

Depth: 58mm
External: 27mm (advertised)
Internal: 20mm (advertised)
Straight pull spokes. Not sure yet if they're carbon or CX Ray
Tubeless Rim Tape Installed By Factory

So Magene contacted me via IG to review these wheels. Honestly at first I thought it was a total scam because the IG account they contacted me from had literally zero followers and not a single IG post. But two weeks later here we are.

There doesn't seem to be much (easily) accessible info on these line of wheels, and I'm still waiting for Magene to provide their official press release details including advertised weight and retail price. Once I hear back I can then begin providing further details in this thread. Stay Tuned!

« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 04:14:51 PM by patliean1 »

StiffWeenies

Re: New Wheelset - Magene Exar DB58Pro Disc
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 07:34:38 AM »
The spokes are Pillar Wing

RDY

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2022, 07:41:44 AM »
1540g according to Magene.  Not that light, but may be good for heavier riders with what look like some pretty high DS flanges on the rear hub, plus Magene are usually 'cheap' in other segments.

patliean1

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 08:47:25 AM »
1540g according to Magene.  Not that light, but may be good for heavier riders with what look like some pretty high DS flanges on the rear hub, plus Magene are usually 'cheap' in other segments.

Where did you find this info? I can't even find the wheels on their official website, unless I'm stupid.

I sent them an email with a list of questions about the wheels. Their response? "We are translating your email and will get back to you." Nothing wrong with being honest and needing time to answer properly.

Assuming they're looking to expand to the western customers, they probably will need to ramp up on the back end. I know they're already established with smart trainers and other bike components.

patliean1

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 09:20:19 AM »
1490g for the 2022 model (yours), 1540g for the 2021 model

This is why you're one of the greats on this site.

Sidenote: I weighed the wheels last night. They came in at 1553g INCLUDING both rim tape and tubeless valves installed. So probably more like 1520g which is still a bit over the advertised weight.

My Hyper 65 Disc came in with a real world weight of 1615g

patliean1

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2022, 09:45:21 AM »
Update #1

I'm still waiting to hear back from Magene with their official press information.

In the meantime...trying to align the brake calipers to my rotors with these new wheels have been a total NIGHTMARE. The flanges on both wheels are like 1-2mm too wide, which subsequently pushes each rotor to the outside brake pad. Even with several different aligning tools and methods they still rub.

Just to be sure, I mounted the same rotors to a different set of wheels and had no issues.

Irideslowly

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2022, 11:40:52 AM »
Update #1

I'm still waiting to hear back from Magene with their official press information.

In the meantime...trying to align the brake calipers to my rotors with these new wheels have been a total NIGHTMARE. The flanges on both wheels are like 1-2mm too wide, which subsequently pushes each rotor to the outside brake pad. Even with several different aligning tools and methods they still rub.

Just to be sure, I mounted the same rotors to a different set of wheels and had no issues.

In the bin they go.

RDY

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2022, 02:35:23 PM »
Update #1

Well their P325 CS power meter crankset was a bit of a shit show, so it wouldn't be unprecedented.

patliean1

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2022, 04:27:26 PM »
Update #2

I was finally able to fix the rubbing on the rear rotor and caliper. Trial and error using the alignment tool and a little bit of truing the rotor. However...the rubbing from the front rotor is still misaligned and super tight beyond tools and truing the rotor.

As an experiment, I decided to mount the wheels to a different frame (Dengfu R12). Originally I was planning to use these Magene wheels on my VeloBuild 177.

Rather than using the brand new rotors I bought for the Magene wheels, I instead used the existing rotors from the wheels off my Dengfu R12 which I know are perfectly aligned within the calipers. Controlled experiment LoL

Identical issue of rubbing with the outer brake pad on the front rotor. Significant in fact. I didn't even bother attempting to align calipers because it's clear there are tolerance issue the front wheel/flange.

So all of this puts me in a weird position with Magene in terms of reviewing the wheels and said agreement. The front wheel is basically useless and the market rep doesn't speak English well enough to understand my dilemma. Stay tuned...

1Sigma

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2022, 07:35:41 AM »
Not sure what the deal is with Magene.  I really want to like the company, but they have a habit of releasing products half-cocked.  I think they mean to be a quality player, but so far their execution is lacking.  For these reasons, while I am excited for their radar rear light, I have reservations.  Potentially only being compatible with their C406Pro would be a deal killer for me

Also, i wonder why the move into wheelsets,  as that is not their area of competency.  Especially since they could already stand to be more competent in their area of competency. I can't imagine they are manufacturing these wheels themselves.  I wonder where they are sourcing parts.

I look forward to your review, and do not envy the position you are in with Magene right now.

For the record, I use their:
P325CS - love it. No issues. I hear the first batch had issues
Onelap App - it is 1/3 the price of Zwift.  But only 1/3 as good
C406 - adequate sensors coupled with low-tech LCD display. No 3-second power, which is actually really irritating
Better than average - Extra Average

patliean1

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2022, 09:24:53 AM »
Update #3

After several days of troubleshooting, tinkering, and a trip to my local hardware store (which made me miss the finale of Stage 5 Criterium du Dauphine >:() I finally have the wheels mounted.

Basically, I had to use a small 2mm thick washer between the fork and the wheel, to act as a shim, to prevent the thru-axle from pushing the disc rotor too far outward toward the outer disc pad. Obviously this solution is neither ideal nor acceptable, especially for a paying customer. I'm not exactly sure how to convey this to Magene without this whole ordeal becoming a blame game.

Anyway...I took the wheels out for their maiden voyage yesterday for a quick 25 miles / 40 km. The rear freehubs is extremely quiet and super smooth. I decided to try out a pair of Vittoria Corsa G2.0 tires with Vittoria latex tubes and while the ride "feel" is smoother than butyl tubes, I realize I just don't like the Corsa G2.0 tires in general.

Until I hear back from Magene with the official retail price I will reserve my thoughts on actual wheel performance. Obviously I can't recommend these wheels AT ALL until Magene tells me what the heck is going on.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 09:42:40 AM by patliean1 »

1Sigma

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2022, 06:10:18 PM »
They do look sharp though

patliean1

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2022, 10:05:09 PM »
Update #4

Magene finally responded my email of questions:

Model: Exar DB58Pro Disc
Retail Price: $881 usd
Advertised Weight: 1490g
Spare spokes provided?: No
Tubeless Rim Tape and Valves Pre-Installed?: Yes
Spoke Type: Pillar Wing 20
Bearings: "High Precision (steel) Bearings
Available in 45mm and 58mm depth

Other tidbits from the email:

"EXAR carbon fiber wheelsets are quality and high-performing products featuring an integral design of appearance, weight, and performance. For disc brake wheels, a non-asymmetric structure is adopted and the flange width is optimized so that the spoke tension on both sides are close to the same.The flange of the disc brake version is wider, and the center of the wheelset is closer to the non-drive side compared to the rim brake one, so with a 2:1 spoke lacing pattern, it doesn't need an asymmetric rim.

Due to the location of the discs, the spokes on the drive side and the non-drive side have different angles. This will make the wheelset less stiff, and also easy to cause the spokes to break. In order to ensure the stiffness of EXAR wheelsets, the disc brake wheelsets are made of non-asymmetric structure and the flange width is optimized so that the spoke tensions on both sides tend to be similar.The rear wheel (dics brake)drive-side flange diameter is increased. It helps to adjust the angle between the drive side spokes and the symmetry center of the wheelset, making the spoke
direction aligned with the torque direction. It also helps to increase driving efficiency, and you will get faster start accordingly."

1Sigma

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2022, 12:18:11 PM »
Have you had a chance to send them your initial observations yet?