Author Topic: My experience with Velobuild wheels and requesting after sales support.  (Read 2930 times)

RDY

Now it's my turn to reach out to VB.
Looks like I've developed disconcerting flex with my handlebars.

I've sent them photos and videos as well as ride data on when the issue arose.
I am not a mega power sprinter (max 1,100W. 940W for the ride in question), nor am I very heavy (75kg)
No crashes.

Below is a photo of what the steerer looked like before and after
Also a pic of cracking on the handlebar.  This is there older HB10 handlebars - can't tell if that is carbon or just paint cracking

I'll see what the court of public opinion says.  Part of my just wants to throw in a 90mm expander plug and see it that works, but a failing handlebar in traffic would probably be a bad time....

Don't ride that bar.  What you can see are paint cracks, but those kind of paint cracks develop due to excessive flex in the carbon beneath - which means that if there isn't already a crack in the carbon, there soon will be.  Cracks don't snake like that if brittle paint gets dinged.  Something is rotten with the bar itself.

Irideslowly

Now it's my turn to reach out to VB.
Looks like I've developed disconcerting flex with my handlebars.

I've sent them photos and videos as well as ride data on when the issue arose.
I am not a mega power sprinter (max 1,100W. 940W for the ride in question), nor am I very heavy (75kg)
No crashes.

Below is a photo of what the steerer looked like before and after
Also a pic of cracking on the handlebar.  This is there older HB10 handlebars - can't tell if that is carbon or just paint cracking

I'll see what the court of public opinion says.  Part of my just wants to throw in a 90mm expander plug and see it that works, but a failing handlebar in traffic would probably be a bad time....

Looks like a hairline crack. I personally would not risk it.
In the bin they go.

1Sigma

Don't ride that bar.  What you can see are paint cracks, but those kind of paint cracks develop due to excessive flex in the carbon beneath - which means that if there isn't already a crack in the carbon, there soon will be.  Cracks don't snake like that if brittle paint gets dinged.  Something is rotten with the bar itself.

After further inspection it seems like the flex is coming from those cracks.
If I cover them with my hand the sound is muffled.  I can also feel the cracks flex with I push down on the hoods.

The steerer tube doesn’t look hot, but I don’t think that’s the main issue.

Looks like a hairline crack. I personally would not risk it.
In the bin they go.
Yea. Agreed. Winter bike is coming out of storage.  I hope VB can send a replacement bar
Better than average - Extra Average

Irideslowly

I have a deda superbox 100mm stem laying around. I can express it to you. just pay for shipping!

1Sigma

I have a deda superbox 100mm stem laying around. I can express it to you. just pay for shipping!

Man, that’s awesome of you.  But I couldn’t do that without giving something back

Irideslowly

Dont worry about it. You saved my winter with the thinkrider trainer and helped me with my handlebars. You have my email. Lets get it done!

1Sigma

Dont worry about it. You saved my winter with the thinkrider trainer and helped me with my handlebars. You have my email. Lets get it done!

Thanks dude. I am hoping I won’t have to take you up on that.  If I do, I’ll definitely hook you with whatever next thing I end up blowing money on. Lol

VB said they’d get back to me on Monday, and asked what size handlebar I had.
So, things look encouraging so far.

Also, just  to make sure the flex wasn’t in my head, and trying to see a problem that didn’t exist, I gently pulled down on the drive-side drops with a bike scale.  Turns out it starts flexing at around 15lbs of pressure and gets “crunchy” at 20lbs.

1Sigma

UPDATE:

Chris got back to me.  They’ll be shipping out a new pair of HB010s under warranty.
The whole process was very simple.  I provided as thorough an account as possible - with some video, pictures, and ride data. They reviewed it and asked me what size bar I was.
I couldn’t be happier!  Good job Velobuild, and thank you!

slosada

UPDATE:

Chris got back to me.  They’ll be shipping out a new pair of HB010s under warranty.
The whole process was very simple.  I provided as thorough an account as possible - with some video, pictures, and ride data. They reviewed it and asked me what size bar I was.
I couldn’t be happier!  Good job Velobuild, and thank you!
I'm happy for you.
There has been too much backslash after I went public, and replace the handlebar is cheaper than a wheel.

I'm at the credit card stage, hopping to reverse the charges