Author Topic: Velobuild 177 vs 218  (Read 2798 times)

Jwzard

Velobuild 177 vs 218
« on: June 17, 2022, 07:11:45 AM »
I've been lurking around the forum for a while and now I think it's time for me to finally build my budget dream bike.
Focus is aero but try to get sub 8 kg, the components I have in mind are:
Elitewheels Drive 50 wheels
Sram rival etap hydraulic 2x12 groupset (try to switch to second hand red crankset if I can find a good deal, and force cassette)

So to the frame, velobuild seems to have good quality to price ratio. I was set on the 177 but now I saw 218 was released. It's supposedly more aero but also heavier. Please help me decide, or suggest another not so heavy aero frame? It must have integrated cables in the handlebar/stem, for the good looks.

Pros: aero, looks (even though it kinda bothers me that it's a copy of dogma f), BSA bb
Cons: weight

Pros: weight, not so aero?
Cons: pressfit bb (it's a pita to change and in my experience it's prone to creaks)

Or maybe the 177 is as aero as the 218?

Irideslowly

Re: Velobuild 177 vs 218
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 08:44:46 AM »
Unless you put both bikes in a windtunnel, you will never know which one is more aero. Pick the frame you like the most.

pearl

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 09:04:32 AM »
I've had great experience with the BB86 Wheels Manufacturing bottom brackets. I run GXP on all my bikes and once I put one of these in, I have never had an issue.

Jwzard

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 10:05:43 AM »
I've had great experience with the BB86 Wheels Manufacturing bottom brackets. I run GXP on all my bikes and once I put one of these in, I have never had an issue.

Do they make screw on BB86 to DUB? I've only seen their pressfit versions. Would be awesome if there was a Bb86 to DUB threaded version.

patliean1

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 10:19:29 AM »
Do they make screw on BB86 to DUB? I've only seen their pressfit versions. Would be awesome if there was a Bb86 to DUB threaded version.

I run a DUB BB86 press-fit bottom bracket on my Winspace T1500. Sadly I have yet to find a threaded DUB BB86 (for Shimano 24mm spindles) on the market.

Perhaps I've just been lucky but in the 6-7 builds I've done in the past year, I have yet to experience a single creaky bottom bracket. Anecdotal of course. Everything from Kogel, Wheels MFG, Shimano, and SRAM.

Personally speaking...stay far far away from SRAM's cheap $60 plastic DUB bottom brackets

Velovelo

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2022, 10:39:02 AM »
I've been lurking around the forum for a while and now I think it's time for me to finally build my budget dream bike.
Focus is aero but try to get sub 8 kg, the components I have in mind are:
Elitewheels Drive 50 wheels
Sram rival etap hydraulic 2x12 groupset (try to switch to second hand red crankset if I can find a good deal, and force cassette)

So to the frame, velobuild seems to have good quality to price ratio. I was set on the 177 but now I saw 218 was released. It's supposedly more aero but also heavier. Please help me decide, or suggest another not so heavy aero frame? It must have integrated cables in the handlebar/stem, for the good looks.

Pros: aero, looks (even though it kinda bothers me that it's a copy of dogma f), BSA bb
Cons: weight

Pros: weight, not so aero?
Cons: pressfit bb (it's a pita to change and in my experience it's prone to creaks)

Or maybe the 177 is as aero as the 218?

Have you considered the 099 with the zero setback seatpost? It's kind of in the middle of both.

FHS

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2022, 11:25:50 AM »
I run a DUB BB86 press-fit bottom bracket on my Winspace T1500. Sadly I have yet to find a threaded DUB BB86 (for Shimano 24mm spindles) on the market.

Perhaps I've just been lucky but in the 6-7 builds I've done in the past year, I have yet to experience a single creaky bottom bracket. Anecdotal of course. Everything from Kogel, Wheels MFG, Shimano, and SRAM.

Personally speaking...stay far far away from SRAM's cheap $60 plastic DUB bottom brackets

Not sure what you mean by a threaded DUB BB86 (for Shimano 24mm spindles). DUB is a 29 mm spindle. You run the Wheels MFG threaded press fit 86 for Shimano spindles, right?

Wheels MFG makes a pf 86 for a DUB in a couple of flavors, but neither has a casing for the spindle. It was fine when I ran it on my TT-X21 because I ran the cable housing all the way through the frame. When I switched over to the Propel, the naked shifter cables started to cut into the spindle no matter how I tried to install the guides. I actually switched over to the cheapie DUB BB and it's been working fine, no creaks, with close to 1000 miles on it now. Definitely had my reservations too, but I'm going to keep rolling with it because I have no desire to spend $$$ on a threaded DUB press fit from Kogel, or whoever makes the high end version.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 11:29:17 AM by FHS »

patliean1

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2022, 11:31:22 AM »
Not sure what you mean by a threaded DUB BB86 (for Shimano 24mm spindles). DUB is a 29 mm spindle. You run the Wheels MFG threaded press fit 86 for Shimano spindles, right?

Wheels MFG makes a pf 86 for a DUB in a couple of flavors, but neither has a casing for the spindle. It was fine when I ran it on my TT-X21 because I ran the cable housing all the way through the frame. When I switched over to the Propel, the naked shifter cables started to cut into the spindle no matter how I tried to install the guides. I actually switched over to the cheapie DUB BB and it's been working fine, no creaks, with close to 1000 miles on it now. I have no desire to spend $$$ on a threaded DUB press fit from Kogel, or whoever makes the high end version.

My bad you're right. I was multi-tasking when I typed that last response LoL. DUB is a 29mm spindle.
I just have yet to find a DUB BB86 threaded bottom bracket for sale.

Regardless of threaded or pressfit, my BBs don't creak...

FHS

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2022, 12:10:58 PM »
Lol. Yeah, I thought I had seen one somewhere, a really really expensive one, but I was probably just thinking of the BBinfinite or something like that and was thinking that it was thread together.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Jwzard

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2022, 12:47:03 PM »

Wheels MFG makes a pf 86 for a DUB in a couple of flavors, but neither has a casing for the spindle. It was fine when I ran it on my TT-X21 because I ran the cable housing all the way through the frame. When I switched over to the Propel, the naked shifter cables started to cut into the spindle no matter how I tried to install the guides. I actually switched over to the cheapie DUB BB and it's been working fine, no creaks, with close to 1000 miles on it now. Definitely had my reservations too, but I'm going to keep rolling with it because I have no desire to spend $$$ on a threaded DUB press fit from Kogel, or whoever makes the high end version.

Ye I saw that one from wheelsmfg too but I kinda want the casing. Even though I will run hydraulic and wireless shifting I feels better with a casing.
I wouldn't have any worries using a cheap bb if it was bsa, but I hate changing pf bbs... good to hear the standard working well

Jwzard

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2022, 12:48:34 PM »

How do you mount them? Loctite 641 with that carbon hardener first?

Jwzard

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2022, 12:49:03 PM »
Have you considered the 099 with the zero setback seatpost? It's kind of in the middle of both.

Will check it out! Thanks

edit: can't find any frame named 99 from Velobuild?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 12:54:05 PM by Jwzard »

FHS

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2022, 01:36:08 PM »
How do you mount them? Loctite 641 with that carbon hardener first?

A thread together bottom bracket?

Just need grease like any other press fit bottom bracket, and a 48 tooth bottom bracket wrench for the Wheels MFG thread together. Just grease the shell and as usual, then grease the threads on the bottom bracket.  I've seen videos where they use a press fit tool to install the non-drive side first, then screw in the drive side using the wrench. Half the point for me when I bought the thread together was not to have to spend $100 on a press fit tool. So, I just pressed the non-drive side in by hand, then threaded the drive side onto the non-drive side by hand. Then I used the wrench to, carefully, press both sides into the shell as the two sides threaded together. Worked fine.

Velovelo

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2022, 06:12:04 AM »
Will check it out! Thanks

edit: can't find any frame named 99 from Velobuild?

Check here;
https://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,3102.210.html

@RDY just received his 099 from velobuild. I think you can still order it from velobuild by emailing support / Christ.

But if it is strictly 177 vs 218 I'll go for the 177 then have two wheelsets. One set for climbing and one aero set. The 177 however requires some hacks for the seatpost.
Watchout for the proprietary Pinarello components of the 218. The 177 components are more available and easier to get.

RDY

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2022, 11:31:32 AM »
Check here;
https://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,3102.210.html

@RDY just received his 099 from velobuild. I think you can still order it from velobuild by emailing support / Christ.

But if it is strictly 177 vs 218 I'll go for the 177 then have two wheelsets. One set for climbing and one aero set. The 177 however requires some hacks for the seatpost.
Watchout for the proprietary Pinarello components of the 218. The 177 components are more available and easier to get.

Proprietary Pinarello stuff on the 218? Such as?