Author Topic: ICAN A22 frame, request experiences (updated with my A22 build)  (Read 4150 times)

Jwzard

I was almost set on a velobuild frame but the recent threads on their customer service and wheel quality makes me rethink that.
A viable option seems to be ICAN, any of you have experience with their A22 frame?
Also with their customer service.

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 02:49:56 AM by Jwzard »

Irideslowly

Re: ICAN A22 frame, request experiences
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 03:36:05 PM »
No experience with them per say. If you want a known commodity, order from Longteng. Haven't heard a bar review from them yet. You can read up on the weight weenie forum

FHS

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 05:04:38 PM »
I was almost set on a velobuild frame but the recent threads on their customer service and wheel quality makes me rethink that.
A viable option seems to be ICAN, any of you have experience with their A22 frame?
Also with their customer service.

Thanks

Clearly, pricier than some of the other options here, but, FWIW, Hambini (love him or hate him) likes it. It was at the top of my list for my next Chinese frame, but I ended up going a different direction altogether.

NSFW.

Jwzard

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 02:33:07 AM »
Yes I've seen hambinis video, seems promising.
ICAN will be about 50$ more expensive, since they have a EU warehouse and can ship for free without tax.
I added items to cart to check shipping cost and they emailed me back offering a discount if I ordered today, so total 860$ for frame and handlebar.
From velo it will be 810$ with paint and shipping.
So the price difference isn't really that big.

RDY

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 04:43:28 AM »
Bear in mind that - as far as I can see from any English or German language forums - the fully faced-to-exact tolerances frame that Hambini received and said that ICAN were claiming they now did for all customers, rather unsurprisingly in fact doesn't seem to be happening for normal customers.  I.E. they appear to have sent him a  special. If you are expecting this after his video, don't, as you may be disappointed.

svanimpe

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2022, 06:35:05 AM »
I believe this is the same mould as the Light Carbon LCR015 (https://www.lightcarbon.com/lightcarbon-new-aero-carbon-road-disc-brake-frame_p14.html) so you could also check with them. I rode a Light Carbon gravel frame for a few years and was very happy with it.

Irideslowly

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2022, 07:34:31 AM »
It's hard to look at these YouTube videos and actually believe the creators did not receive a extra carefully made frame..

patliean1

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2022, 09:47:36 AM »
It's hard to look at these YouTube videos and actually believe the creators did not receive a extra carefully made frame..

.................no comment

Irideslowly

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2022, 10:22:01 AM »
I'm not saying it's a scam, but as a company, i will definitely put a little extra in the product i am giving away for marketing.. Isn't that fair?

patliean1

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2022, 10:46:35 AM »
I'm not saying it's a scam, but as a company, i will definitely put a little extra in the product i am giving away for marketing.. Isn't that fair?

Oh no, I agree 100% with you. My comment was aimed towards myself as cYcLiNg yOuTuBeR.

Receiving a faulty/defective product and being blasted about it on YouTube is not in a company's best interest. I just wish that same meticulous care and QC was extended to real world paying customers.

RDY

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2022, 12:09:32 PM »

To be fair, it's made clear that the Hambini frame is 'special'.  The kicker is that he also says that ICAN have told him they now face all their frames to the same tolerances.  But there appears to be no evidence of that.  If every newly sold frame was flawless in that respect, we'd have heard by now.  Right?

FWIW I would have bought an A9 if it had 32mm clearance though. 28mm is just too little for the roads I ride, and today's market.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 12:11:04 PM by RDY »

FHS

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2022, 12:31:54 PM »
To be fair, it's made clear that the Hambini frame is 'special'.  The kicker is that he also says that ICAN have told him they now face all their frames to the same tolerances.  But there appears to be no evidence of that.  If every newly sold frame was flawless in that respect, we'd have heard by now.  Right?

FWIW I would have bought an A9 if it had 32mm clearance though. 28mm is just too little for the roads I ride, and today's market.

Yeah, I have no doubt that Hambini received a well finished frame for his review. It's probably even possible for a company like ICAN to do a one-off frame, from lay-up to paint, for Hambini to review but we'd more likely hear about all the frames that aren't at least close to the same quality than we would about frames that are still pretty good quality. That's just the nature of the internet. I don't know how many people are even capable of measuring the roundness of a hole, but it's easy enough to tell if your creaking bottom bracket shell doesn't fit right or match up on both sides, or if your disc brakes won't stop squealing because of bad facing or overspray.

From what I can tell, without an endoscope, of my 2 Chinese frames from two different suppliers, the lay-up quality is pretty damn close to, if not as good, as what Hambini showed for the A22. Sadly, for good measure, the Giant Propel frame I have is also pretty comparable to the TCR Hambini showed, and just a mess on the interior if I compare it to my TanTan or Tideace.

Anyway, yeah, what I couldn't get past was the fact that the frame from their NA wherehouse doesn't come with handlebars. 

Jwzard

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2022, 12:46:50 PM »
I saw the hambini video and that's partly why I asked the question. To see if anybody had any opposing opinion. Can you link to any of those forums saying their frames are not as good as the hambinis special?

RDY

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2022, 12:48:48 PM »
My Revolt had some nasty, sharp bits of excess resin that I needed to clean out, but otherwise was extremely clean.  Not even a hint of a crease in the laminate anywhere I could see.  I think the resin thing is quite common on Giants ... or is it the layup itself that's at fault in yours, like those allegedly QC-failed amateur team team-bike TCRs - one of which ended up with Hambini?

RDY

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2022, 12:50:49 PM »
I saw the hambini video and that's partly why I asked the question. To see if anybody had any opposing opinion. Can you link to any of those forums saying their frames are not as good as the hambinis special?

No, because that's not what I'm saying.  I'm saying that nobody has claimed any recently delivered frames are as good as his.  Which would be very unexpected if they really were facing all new frames to the same standards.