Author Topic: Fully internal routed handlebars question  (Read 849 times)

1Sigma

Fully internal routed handlebars question
« on: June 30, 2022, 08:49:26 AM »
Question for the mechanics:

This only applies to mechanical groups.
I enjoy the look of full internal routing, but removing the fork or handlebars for inspection/maintenance/travelling is a pain.

In theory, could one connect in-line barrel adjusters around the head tube as disconnection points for cable housing?  Sure, you’d still need to pull out the cables, but if you could make it all fit, you could leave the housing intact.

Am I being stupid or crazy here?

Better than average - Extra Average

kbike

Re: Fully internal routed handlebars question
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 09:20:31 AM »
bmx has the gyro for brakes. Im sure internal connectors could be designed around the headset, spacer, or stem for quick connect.

1Sigma

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 11:13:03 AM »
bmx has the gyro for brakes. Im sure internal connectors could be designed around the headset, spacer, or stem for quick connect.

Very cool! I suppose in practice, this would work.  Not sure how much faffing would need to be done to fit it though.  Someone out there could probably make short work of it.

FHS

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 12:40:45 PM »
...if you can make it all fit, with enough space to access then so that they work the way you want them to.

Where would you install the barrel adjuster for the front brake?

s3si1u

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2022, 03:21:04 PM »
I wonder if one could also make this work with the hydraulic brake lines using hose couplers...the brakes would still need to be bled, but its less work than feeding the lines through the entire frame all over.
I dont really have a need for this, but its definitely an interesting thought...
Instagram: @aerosloth

1Sigma

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2022, 03:27:04 PM »
...if you can make it all fit, with enough space to access then so that they work the way you want them to.

Where would you install the barrel adjuster for the front brake?

In the head tube I reckon.
To drop the fork out, I imagine I’d only need the one adjuster.
Very interested to see if the hydro solution would work too

Kirkspants

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2022, 10:56:33 PM »
What you seek is definitely out there good sir! Search around the crowds that own collapsible frame bikes (like the venerable Ritchey Break-Away) and there are a lot of solutions for quick-connect mech cables. Less so for hydro lines; I'd get in touch with Ritchey and S&S to see who they recommend. The only solution I could come up with is from these amazing folks: https://22bicycles.com/products/brake-break-hydraulic-disconnect

The big drawback is that all of these solutions require a lot of room or bare cable (not cable in full-length housing) or both.

The aggravating bottom line (speaking as a retired mechanic) is that the new fad of fully-internal everything is just not made with DIY in mind. Systems are designed to work better with electronic shifting. Bikes are no longer really expected to be disassembled past removing the wheels. They even make travel cases meant for frames without the bars being removed. It is really frustrating at times!!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 11:01:18 PM by Kirkspants »

cm8181

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2022, 12:24:03 AM »
This will work with the housings. But I think that you can then pull out the cables for circuit and brake, but by the squeezing of the cables on the brakes or the shifting you will no longer be able to bring them back into the housing.

1Sigma

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2022, 04:12:22 AM »
The aggravating bottom line (speaking as a retired mechanic) is that the new fad of fully-internal everything is just not made with DIY in mind. Systems are designed to work better with electronic shifting. Bikes are no longer really expected to be disassembled past removing the wheels. They even make travel cases meant for frames without the bars being removed. It is really frustrating at times!!

Thanks for the advice.

Im pretty sure the industry’s future answer is an even more expensive electronically actuated hydraulic braking groupset.   :P

Since I’m going to need to reroute the handlebars soon anyways, I’m going to experiment with just a front brake line disconnect.  That will at least allow me to drop out the fork for maintenance.