Author Topic: Disc Brake Aero Framesets Allowing For Non-Proprietary Stem?  (Read 1891 times)

patliean1

Hey All,

I'm finally realizing integrated handlebars in general just don't 100% work for my measurements/geometry. I need a lot of reach (130-140mm) but a low stack. Almost all brands don't offer up a 130-140mm integrated bar as standard. Trying to avoid the whole FSA ACR combo.

Are there any decent disc (aero) framesets that easily allow for non-proprietary stems and handlebars? Obviously this means some/all the cables would probably need to be externally routed. Below are two models I know of that use a very traditional headset cap/bearing design, which allow for your own choice of stems and handlebars. The new Allez Sprint uses a typical headset cap, but the includes 4 port holes in the cap to accommodate internal cables. The Giant TCR simply routes the cables through each side of the frame.

-New 2022 Allez Sprint (Heavy)
-Giant TCR (Expensive)

And don't get me started on the ease of transporting your bike and the serviceability of using a non-proprietary stem or integrated handlebar.

Irideslowly

Re: Disc Brake Aero Framesets Allowing For Non-Proprietary Stem?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2022, 02:44:10 PM »
I think the merida reacto uses a Vision stem? I forgot which Far east brand makes a copy of it.  I might be wrong.

StiffWeenies

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2022, 05:03:09 PM »
Practically every 1.5" ACR headset frame out there can accept a SRS headset for under stem cable routing

Other headsets from First Components and Token accomplish the same thing

I also quite like Orbea's implementation
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 05:08:40 PM by StiffWeenies »

patliean1

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2022, 06:35:17 PM »
Practically every 1.5" ACR headset frame out there can accept a SRS headset for under stem cable routing

Other headsets from First Components and Token accomplish the same thing

I also quite like Orbea's implementation

Haha funny enough...after I created this thread, I went on a thorough online search and ended up finding that same FSA SRS headset.

This is very likely the option I'll end up using. Now I'm trying to decide if I really wanna disassemble and reroute cables on an existing build, or build up a brand new frame with this FSA setup. Thanks Mr Stiff!

carbonazza

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 09:41:12 AM »
Did you check the Deda SUPERBOX ?
It has 130 and 140mm available.

patliean1

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2022, 11:06:23 AM »
I just ordered the following:

FSA NO.69/SRS Headset
https://www.fsaproshop.com/products/no-69-srs?utm_campaign=order-confirmation-email&utm_medium=email&utm_source=OrderlyEmails&utm_content=product

Energy New Ergo Handlebar
https://www.fsaproshop.com/products/energy-new-ergo-handlebar?utm_campaign=order-confirmation-email&utm_medium=email&utm_source=OrderlyEmails&utm_content=product

Basically I'm revamping my Dengfu R12 setup. I originally ordered their 120 stem length integrated handlebar with the frame, but of course Dengfu pulled the bait and switch and told me the 120 was out stock after my purchase. Been using their 110 integrated bars for a few months now but ultimately I feel cramped.

That FSA Energy Ergo bar has a reach of 80mm and a drop of 150mm. Paired with an existing 130mm -17 stem I have from Zipp...I should be good to go. The great thing about using a traditional handlebar is I can very easily test out various stems if I need to, since obviously the cockpit won't be integrated. As stupid as this sounds, I am super excited to set this up.

patliean1

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2022, 10:26:59 AM »
My new FSA headset and handlebars arrived. Below are some pictures to give you a visual.

While this setup is going on my Dengfu R12 which has had no headset play issues like my VeloBuild 177, this will still mitigate that problem. I do however suspect the C-ring is a fair bit taller than a standard C-ring, so expect there to be a little of the headset visual when the rebuild is complete.

Irideslowly

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2022, 12:45:30 PM »
Can't wait to see it. I've always been worriee about the awkward visual from the wrong sized cap.

patliean1

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2022, 03:36:44 PM »
Not for the faint of heart. Here is a quick mock up with the new FSA headset

The 5mm gap isn't exactly elegant, but the upsides to switching to a separate stem/bars with externally routed cables far exceed the visual drawbacks. I love the idea of being able to easily try out various stems without having to disconnected anything.

Few more things to note:

1. I'm running an extra long expander plug because the overall stack height is taller, and I had previously more or less slammed my stem with the original integrated cockpit. This just ensures the expander plug reaches past the stem into the steer tube.

2. The reason for the 5mm gap is strictly related to the design of the frame, not the FSA bearing and top cap itself.

3. I had to legitimately disconnect all the cables, cut them, and remove half of my bottom bracket for access, and run brand new lines.

Ill have some photos later when the rebuild is complete.

RDY

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2022, 07:12:26 AM »
If you want it to look neater you could use an ACR top cover (or supplied-with-frame top cover with aligning posts taken off) and ACR spacer, with ACR spacer to stem interface (with hole cut in the front for cable) - or SMR one if you can get it (but they seem unobtainium).

The heavily tapered top cover and standard round spacer does look very odd.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 07:14:17 AM by RDY »

patliean1

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2022, 11:31:05 AM »
It’s not the bearing that’s visible, but rather the metal C-ring. It’s much “taller” than the Dengfu-supplied standard C-Ring.

I don’t think FSA makes an ACR style top cap that also allows for externally routing the cables which is kind of the point. Plus the tabs on default Dengfu top cap do not align with FSA c-ring.

To your point though I probably just need a thinner FSA c-ring that will still work properly with tabs on the current FSA top cap

RDY

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2022, 12:05:34 PM »

I don’t think FSA makes an ACR style top cap that also allows for externally routing the cables which is kind of the point. Plus the tabs on default Dengfu top cap do not align with FSA c-ring.

Not a bearing cover / cap, no.  But you can use their cover, then a spacer, then stem-spacer interface spacer, and cut a hole for cable entry in the front of the latter, assuming that your stem will sit nicely on top of that interface.  It would be easier if you could find the dedicated SMR ones with holes pre-cut anywhere.

That way you don't have the heavily tapered cover and then spindly circular spacer look. 

If you were running more stack (i.e. more spacers) you could also bond one of the thicker 2-piece ACR spacers together, then cut a section out of the front for cable entry.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 12:10:24 PM by RDY »

patliean1

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2022, 02:12:39 PM »
and cut a hole for cable entry in the front of the latter

Ahhh I see what you are saying now. Makes sense and thanks!

But no...I will not be cutting anything haha

carbonazza

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2022, 03:57:51 PM »
Here's one more: https://ritcheylogic.com/bike/headsets/logic-e-1.5-integrated-is-upper-headset
On order... I have big hopes on this one to make Juintech brakes work properly on one of my builds