Author Topic: New Lexon spirit  (Read 14632 times)

RDY

Re: New Lexon spirit
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2022, 11:19:35 AM »
Isn't the FM909 even lighter ?

Yes, but my statement still stands ...

Tijoe

« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2022, 04:47:51 PM »
I spent a long time reading/viewing 575 posts / 39 pages, that span close to 2 years regarding the FM909.  Then even more time reading about the FM936. 
On the internet, there still aren't any public/posted reviews on the FM909, and out of the 575 posts, there are less than 10 comments about the ride quality or capabilities of the FM909.  Appears that the FM909 took a long time to be a production worthy frame.  I can't really tell if all the problems are sorted out for an "Inexpensive",close to $1K frame + shipping + custom paint.

The FM936 appears to be sorted and does have good reviews and history.

I am communicating with Lexon, asking for more details.   (Like actual weights with the frame on a scale, of all of the frame sizes without shock.) 

Time will tell...

Tijoe

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2022, 01:13:20 PM »
Lexon replied this morning and only replied to one of my questions.   I had asked them how much a 19" Spirit weighs.  They replied that they do not have any in stock, and if I ordered one, they would tell me how much it weighs when it is ready to ship.
They sent me 2 images of a 15.5" frame and an image of the shock on a scale.

Frame and shock is shown to weigh 2460 grams and the shock 345 grams.  (Frame weight = 2115)   Who knows if this is what all the 15.5 frames actually weigh.
(Why would they lie?)  ;D :P

They wrote that they would deduct $120 if I want a frame without a shock.  That is way to little of a credit.

After digging deeper and spending way to much time researching this frame,  I get the feeling that Lexon released the Spirit to soon in their development cycle.   I like the frame overall, but until they supply shocks with a workable fill port on the bottom trunnion, plus refine how you set the sag and what appears to be some bearing assembly problems, I will wait on being a Guinea pig.

RongGearRob

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2022, 12:35:17 PM »
I'm not completely sold that hiding everything inside the frame is always the best idea.  While internal cable routing is nice and clean, it does make servicing your bike a bit of a PIA (i.e. dropping the rear triangle for bearing service with internally routed brake line and derailleur cable).  Now we are seeing shocks inside of frames. 

A friend has the Scott Spark, it is an absolutely beautiful bike, but while riding and unbeknownst to him the access cover to the shock fell off. The bike shop where he purchased it from was unable to get a replacement from Scott (maybe this has changed and Scott now offers replacement covers as it has been awhile since I've seen him).  The shop just ended up covering the access hole with tape. While this isn't a game changer per se, but if Scott has some detail issues with the Spark, I can't help but think of the underlying issues there may be with the Spirit.  Just my two cents...

Tijoe

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2022, 07:56:41 PM »
My latest response from Lexon regarding the Spirit:   (After I wrote them I wasn't purchasing a frame from then until they gave me an actual weight for a 19" and fixed the air fill port access problem on the Spirit frame.)

>We are about to install the newly updated frame. You can pay attention to us, my friend. The new frame has an opening at the bottom. Thank you for your understanding. I am waiting for a reply.

Have you guys ready any articles about the New Scott Luman racing e-Mtn. Bike ?    It appears to me that Scott is staying committed with the internal hidden shock frame design and have plans to expand this approach to other of their bicycle offerings.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 07:58:37 PM by Tijoe »

h-habilis

« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2022, 03:07:41 AM »

...I like the frame overall, but until they supply shocks with a workable fill port on the bottom trunnion, plus refine how you set the sag and what appears to be some bearing assembly problems, I will wait on being a Guinea pig.

Well, for all y'all waiting for that guy to take one for the team, you're in luck, I expect mine at the end of the month.  It will be a 19" with the Deluxe Select + and that rather tasteful Spirit paint theme.  Before ordering, I searched and translated the sparse user reviews and opinions, including from this forum.  All the Scott Spark, and other Scott models employing the same shock arrangement are selling well, perhaps this is why Scott was not entertaining any requests from me to buy a Spark 910 frame only.  What follows are the reasons I decided to toss the dice:

1)  I will not be flogging the bike as hard as some.  I'm going on 68, and mostly ride loamy forest singletracks, albeit briskly for me.  Primary goal is to soften the shock loads to my feet and knees.  I'm looking for a short to mid-travel, full-sprung frame upgrade over my Scott Scale 950 XC hardtail converted ebike. 
2)  The Spirit frame is the cats meow for DIY ebike builders as the frame has an open triangle which facilitates the easy installation of larger, all-day battery packs.  This battery mounting issue is a major challenge for mid drive ebike builders, and leads to some real sh%tty looking builds with insufficient range. 
3)  The best review I found was a Brazilian YouTuber.  He takes that thing on some pretty extreme tracks, and he seems pleased with revised shock linkage parts sent to him by Lexon.  Shame on the manufacturer to release a damn useful frame but then use their customers for beta testing.  In my eyes, supplying revised parts does wash away some of their shame and may keep the project a viable business venture for them.  Or at least keep it alive to make it to the next design fiasco... or the possible patent infringement suit from Scott.  I have some ideas on how to mitigate the shocks air fill port.
4)  Thailand is on favored nation trading status with China, so low shipping and duty, I'm at USD 1,075 with shipping but before duty. 

I'll be running the Ryet UD CF asymmetric rim 29er wheels with Schwalbe 2.4" Wicked Will's, definitely recommend these bargain wheels, been flogging a set hard daily for nearly a year, popped in one new rear bearing.  $287.++ for the pair.  Bike will likely be running the lightweight CYC Photon motor eventually, but will initially be built with a Bafang BBSHD.  Wish me luck!

Vipassana

« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2022, 09:09:52 PM »
I just purchased a 2023 Spark RC Team Black. I can post any info anyone might need for a comparison with the Lexon Spirit.

Don't worry, I fully acknowledge buying this OEM bike at OEM prices and then upgrading almost everything on it was a dumb decision and I should have just built a FM936 or FM909.  And I'm not being sarcastic about that... The price for these Scott Sparks is insane. 

Basically it was $5k for the bike. I ordered the following:

LightBicycle XC925 Recon Pros with CXRay and Onyx Vesper hubs
X01 Crankset
X01 Cassette
GX AXS
Carbon Handlebar
Transfer SL post
XT 180mm rotors

Take-off parts will sell for maybe $800-900. Maybe.

So basically I paid $4200 for a frame/shock/fork/stem/Twin-lock... The value proposition is hard to see.  But I'll see how it rides.

The internal cable routing, while cool, seems like a pain in the ass. It arrived with a kinked rear brake line that impacted performance (had to pump the lever to get power even after a bleed). I'm working with the shop to get it replaced under warranty.

The twin-lock seems great (haven't ridden it yet).  The lock-out is full lock front, nearly locked rear.  The 'traction' mode limits travel and bike rides high (low amount of sag).  The full unlock mode lowers the bike into it's full sag setting.  It's neat to feel the difference.

(I haven't lost my way, about to order a Chinese titanium hardtail for an SS build soon.)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 09:28:05 PM by Vipassana »

carbonazza

« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2022, 01:13:06 AM »
I just purchased a 2023 Spark RC Team Black...

But... but... Vip' for this amount of $$$ you could have had a lighter bike with XX1, AXS reverb, a power meter, brakes that stop and even XTR rotors ;D

Joking, a friend has the Spark and is delighted. Happy riding with it!

Vipassana

« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2022, 10:16:18 AM »
But... but... Vip' for this amount of $$$ you could have had a lighter bike with XX1, AXS reverb, a power meter, brakes that stop and even XTR rotors ;D

Hey, it has XT brakes and rotors, they'll stop!   ;D

But yeah I did a full build up of an FM936 (on paper) and was at about $7k with top line everything as you describe. Maybe a bit less if you can scoop some deals.  I'm still a big advocate of taking the Chinese/open-mould route.

Right now I'm on track for a 23.8-24.0lb build.  A heavyweight compared to my Chiner hardtail, but pretty light considering the bike/frame.  Heck, even the $15k top-of-the-line Spark RC is only 22.9lbs.

I still want a reverb, but they're heavy and expensive. First deal I can find, I'm on it.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2022, 10:53:41 AM by Vipassana »

nardonardo

« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2022, 02:31:18 PM »

Well, for all y'all waiting for that guy to take one for the team, you're in luck, I expect mine at the end of the month.  It will be a 19" with the Deluxe Select + and that rather tasteful Spirit paint theme.  Before ordering, I searched and translated the sparse user reviews and opinions, including from this forum.  All the Scott Spark, and other Scott models employing the same shock arrangement are selling well, perhaps this is why Scott was not entertaining any requests from me to buy a Spark 910 frame only.  What follows are the reasons I decided to toss the dice:

1)  I will not be flogging the bike as hard as some.  I'm going on 68, and mostly ride loamy forest singletracks, albeit briskly for me.  Primary goal is to soften the shock loads to my feet and knees.  I'm looking for a short to mid-travel, full-sprung frame upgrade over my Scott Scale 950 XC hardtail converted ebike. 
2)  The Spirit frame is the cats meow for DIY ebike builders as the frame has an open triangle which facilitates the easy installation of larger, all-day battery packs.  This battery mounting issue is a major challenge for mid drive ebike builders, and leads to some real sh%tty looking builds with insufficient range. 
3)  The best review I found was a Brazilian YouTuber.  He takes that thing on some pretty extreme tracks, and he seems pleased with revised shock linkage parts sent to him by Lexon.  Shame on the manufacturer to release a damn useful frame but then use their customers for beta testing.  In my eyes, supplying revised parts does wash away some of their shame and may keep the project a viable business venture for them.  Or at least keep it alive to make it to the next design fiasco... or the possible patent infringement suit from Scott.  I have some ideas on how to mitigate the shocks air fill port.
4)  Thailand is on favored nation trading status with China, so low shipping and duty, I'm at USD 1,075 with shipping but before duty. 

I'll be running the Ryet UD CF asymmetric rim 29er wheels with Schwalbe 2.4" Wicked Will's, definitely recommend these bargain wheels, been flogging a set hard daily for nearly a year, popped in one new rear bearing.  $287.++ for the pair.  Bike will likely be running the lightweight CYC Photon motor eventually, but will initially be built with a Bafang BBSHD.  Wish me luck!

Thank you man for sharing this. Your idea is brave and interesting. I cant wait to see something done!!

Tijoe

« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2023, 02:16:10 PM »
I received a message from Lexon asking me to take a look at their updated Spirit frame. They claim that the  Problems are fixed, and new lower price.   Looks like they will sell the frame without a shock for about $1K, and they have added a second rear shock option by X-fusion. (I Know nothing about this brand)

Time to pull the trigger? and be able to order and receive by spring?

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804316455323.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.189238daGEgwWF&mp=1&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

Tornado

« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2023, 07:47:04 AM »

Got it yet?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 08:37:59 AM by Tornado »

Vipassana

« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2023, 10:23:53 AM »
Any updates on this frame? Who's riding one?  I want to know how badly I wasted my money on the Scott.

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2023, 03:46:02 PM »
I received a message from Lexon asking me to take a look at their updated Spirit frame. They claim that the  Problems are fixed, and new lower price.   Looks like they will sell the frame without a shock for about $1K, and they have added a second rear shock option by X-fusion. (I Know nothing about this brand)

Time to pull the trigger? and be able to order and receive by spring?

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804316455323.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.189238daGEgwWF&mp=1&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

Link currently shows as “item unavailable” for me (USA).